Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 08:56 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
In the local news this past summer, there were a series of incidents in which criminals did rob people of their I-phones who were out jogging, walking dogs, etc. Very scary. I have also heard of numerous cases where people have died in the process of being robbed of their I-phones (or in the process of tracking their stolen I-phones):

Apple Picking: How The iPhone Became An Object Worth Killing For

Here are some other stories of people whose lives were ruined (or lost) because of their stupid social media/I-phone addiction - very sad:

9 Craziest Stories of Social Media Addiction - ODDEE
I don't remember what city it was, but a local news reporter was mugged for her phone and they held a gun to her head until she punched in her passcode to unlock it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 09:23 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
People are becoming less personally connected to one another. I'm not talking friends but people in general. Empathy is dying. Other people on the street, in shops, wherever are just things to not bump into. Cell phones are like a big bottle of alcohol to an alcoholic though... it's just the tool with which people practice their disconnection and insensitivity.

If I invited people to a dinner and they actually pulled their phone out at the table and proceeded to use it there, I would tell them how incredibly disrespectful and rude their behavior is and ask them to leave since they obviously had no interest in spending time with me. Over the top? I don't think so. Too much stuff slides already.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:24 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Well, perhaps ONE of the most ridiculous statements you've heard in a long time. If you want persistent ridiculous statements check out the constant status updates that one empty-headed 'drone' is sending to another. This is school-kid stuff that adults have become caught up in and addicted to. Similarly so with Facebook. I never before realized that my friends could so easily revert to becoming morons until I signed up to Facebook. I was told that "everyone is on Facebook ...it's great!" It was so great for me that I resigned my account within several days. I found the conversations so embarrassingly juvenile and unbelievably meaningless. When a friend posted, "my young'uns got the hiccups" and received about 150 "likes" ...it was time for me to leave. Mindless stuff!

If you don't like it, don't have a social media site, and if you do, unfriend or "hide" people whose statuses you don't want to see. Pretty simple. But I guess complaining about it on the Internet is more effective.

No, not better than anyone else. Delusional crowd? You said that, not me, but there's probably more of an element of truth in that than you realize. I don't need a smartphone to affirm my status to others. I hate the damned things and I hate what they have done to society. I'm just giving my opinion on a public forum. I've said what I said, I mean it and, as far as I'm concerned, case closed!
Good for you.

Did you miss the my earlier post in which I listed all the practical reasons to have a smartphone? But hey, if you'd rather try to find a phone book and let your fingers do the walking through the yellow pages when you need a service professional on the fly, be my guest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
People are becoming less personally connected to one another. I'm not talking friends but people in general. Empathy is dying. Other people on the street, in shops, wherever are just things to not bump into. Cell phones are like a big bottle of alcohol to an alcoholic though... it's just the tool with which people practice their disconnection and insensitivity.

If I invited people to a dinner and they actually pulled their phone out at the table and proceeded to use it there, I would tell them how incredibly disrespectful and rude their behavior is and ask them to leave since they obviously had no interest in spending time with me. Over the top? I don't think so. Too much stuff slides already.
You have no idea why that person would use their phone. And if you asked me to leave, I would proceed to keep my face buried in my phone long enough to delete your contact info.

I was on a date last night, and when I was letting her look at something on my phone, she noted I had a bunch of work emails, that I hadn't noticed. I immediately grabbed my phone, and quickly read through and responded to the necessary emails, since, you know, my job is kind of important.

Did she care? Of course not. We will have our second date this weekend, because she's mature enough to understand that sometimes I need to be on my phone, even on a date.

Some of these posters are just making more of a case for me being on my phone in public.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:55 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
i will do what i want, when i want and i dont care who likes it and who doesnt....the mindset of the self entitled
And here's my question--unless I'm driving and weaving everywhere, or using a phone in a dark place where it lights up everything, or shouting into it loudly (especially in a quiet place)--why should anyone be bothered and upset? Seriously, some people just get too upset about nothing. In the "shouting into it loudly" situation, that doesn't even count if it's just that you can hear my conversation but it's not particularly loud. I can overhear you and your friends talking, that's no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
You have no idea why that person would use their phone. And if you asked me to leave, I would proceed to keep my face buried in my phone long enough to delete your contact info.
Exactly. I use my phone at the checkout line in terms of that I have an app that's like an electronic version of a check register, and I log my transactions--very quickly, mind you (often times while the debit machine is waiting to process the card, I'll already be done before it is). In doing so, I have done very well with avoiding overdrafts due to not knowing how much is in my checking account. (Logging into your online banking and viewing the transactions isn't a substitute because some transactions take a couple of days to clear and thus wouldn't show up online yet.)

If you want to speak of checkout line situations, the real sources of delays aren't phone users, I've found (in fact I find them to be some of the quickest in terms of getting in and getting out quickly). It's people who dispute 5 cents on a can of tuna and act like it's the outrage of the century if they pay $1.50 for it instead of $1.45, and think that the cashiers can just type in $1.45 (typically they can't, or aren't allowed to) or that the cashier knows it's in fact $1.45 but is deliberately overcharging them (cashiers don't know the price of every single item and just as they often-times can't reduce a price they also can't deliberately jack it up). You can't convince them otherwise, and to them the 5 cents is that big of a deal. The mature people I've seen understand it's just 5 cents, and that they probably got away with paying too little on some other occasion and thus they're really not being overcharged in the long term picture anyway, and they just let it go--or if they're stuck behind someone being a 5 cents drama queen, they just give them the 5 cents. (In doing so, the one arguing price thinks this person is being nice, in reality they're just trying to make the person shut up and move on with their life so they can also get on with things.)

I will admit that I can't talk, to an extent, in terms of "what's it to you?" I realize I'm just as bad only it's with other things. I've complained about women taking photos of just their feet in photos at the beach or pool (where's the rest of them, and what's with the feet) or (speaking of cell phones) how people around here seem to think Straight Talk is the only prepaid carrier in the entire world (if I an selling a phone, 97% of the people ask "does it work on Straight Talk" and you get tired of hearing it all the time). I also tend to be critical of people smoking and being so into beer, and unless I'm being exposed to second-hand smoke or DWI situations the truth is it's not really any of my business.

I think it's OK that we debate these things and just say "I'm not crazy about so and so" or "what's the deal with so and so," so long as we don't become nasty about it, and as long as we remember (well in my case anyway) that we don't like it when someone is being ugly and critical regarding things about us that really aren't any of their business.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
First, I'm no Luddite. I love my iPhone, it let's me do a lot of incredible things and saves me an incredible amount of time but...

(not my family just a picture I grabbed off the net)

I am sick and tired of family dinners where everyone is sitting around the table texting. I've tried everything from confiscating all the phones - you'd have thought I was a the wicked witch coming for their first born - I even suggested that the next time we would order food to be delivered to everyone's house and then we would just eat together using Facetime!

The use of smart phones and freaking social media has just become freaking nuts!
If it is your house, and you are providing the meal, then you are within your rights to request that all phones be turned off. Otherwise, I think you are on your own. Does your family meet up often? If not, then it is really too bad that when they do, they watch their phones during conversation time. I don't think you can do a whole lot about this, except at your house.

You could have a talk with them seriously about this. But if they don't see a problem and don't regard this as disrespectful (they should, but they may not) then I'm not sure what you can realistically do.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:59 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
And here's my question--unless I'm driving and weaving everywhere, or using a phone in a dark place where it lights up everything, or shouting into it loudly (especially in a quiet place)--why should anyone be bothered and upset? Seriously, some people just get too upset about nothing. In the "shouting into it loudly" situation, that doesn't even count if it's just that you can hear my conversation but it's not particularly loud. I can overhear you and your friends talking, that's no different.

Exactly. I use my phone at the checkout line in terms of that I have an app that's like an electronic version of a check register, and I log my transactions--very quickly, mind you (often times while the debit machine is waiting to process the card, I'll already be done before it is). In doing so, I have done very well with avoiding overdrafts due to not knowing how much is in my checking account. (Logging into your online banking and viewing the transactions isn't a substitute because some transactions take a couple of days to clear and thus wouldn't show up online yet.)

If you want to speak of checkout line situations, the real sources of delays aren't phone users, I've found (in fact I find them to be some of the quickest in terms of getting in and getting out quickly). It's people who dispute 5 cents on a can of tuna and act like it's the outrage of the century if they pay $1.50 for it instead of $1.45, and think that the cashiers can just type in $1.45 (typically they can't, or aren't allowed to) or that the cashier knows it's in fact $1.45 but is deliberately overcharging them (cashiers don't know the price of every single item and just as they often-times can't reduce a price they also can't deliberately jack it up). You can't convince them otherwise, and to them the 5 cents is that big of a deal. The mature people I've seen understand it's just 5 cents, and that they probably got away with paying too little on some other occasion and thus they're really not being overcharged in the long term picture anyway, and they just let it go--or if they're stuck behind someone being a 5 cents drama queen, they just give them the 5 cents. (In doing so, the one arguing price thinks this person is being nice, in reality they're just trying to make the person shut up and move on with their life so they can also get on with things.)

I will admit that I can't talk, to an extent, in terms of "what's it to you?" I realize I'm just as bad only it's with other things. I've complained about women taking photos of just their feet in photos at the beach or pool (where's the rest of them, and what's with the feet) or (speaking of cell phones) how people around here seem to think Straight Talk is the only prepaid carrier in the entire world (if I an selling a phone, 97% of the people ask "does it work on Straight Talk" and you get tired of hearing it all the time). I also tend to be critical of people smoking and being so into beer, and unless I'm being exposed to second-hand smoke or DWI situations the truth is it's not really any of my business.

I think it's OK that we debate these things and just say "I'm not crazy about so and so" or "what's the deal with so and so," so long as we don't become nasty about it, and as long as we remember (well in my case anyway) that we don't like it when someone is being ugly and critical regarding things about us that really aren't any of their business.
Just to solve this mystery for you, they are posting pics of their latest pedicure, not their feet per se. I suppose only other females would understand that though, lol.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
I have a desktop computer and that's it. My cell phone is for emergencies ( for example, when Comcast goes out and i have no home phone or when I need AAA) and does nothing but dial numbers.

I could afford an iPhone but I dont want to be at everyone's beck and call 24/7. I also have no need to be on the internet 24/7. My desktop computer and home phone are enough for that.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:15 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
G

Thank you for proving my point.

If someone had such an important call that they had to take it during a dinner party, they can easily excuse themselves and deal with business and come back as soon as possible. Sitting there at the dinner table using their phone? Insanely rude.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:33 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If it is your house, and you are providing the meal, then you are within your rights to request that all phones be turned off.
There is a broad chasm between having the right and having the power.

But thank you for your advice.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:24 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Thank you for proving my point.

If someone had such an important call that they had to take it during a dinner party, they can easily excuse themselves and deal with business and come back as soon as possible. Sitting there at the dinner table using their phone? Insanely rude.
If you get bent out of shape because someone takes 5 minutes to respond to a work email or to check something, then I highly doubt they will miss your friendship.

People really to need to get over themselves. If someone would rather check Instagram than listen to someone's stories, there's probably a reason for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships