Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:34 AM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

Before my current job, I worked in call centers for several years after college. Customer service work is stressful, low paying, and often has poor job security. An irate customer can even get the worker fired. I know this and try to empathize and cut the employee some slack.

I returned a rental modem/router unit toModerator cut: deletethis weekend and apparently the CSR at the counter disabled my new modem - not the rental. When I got home, I ended up having to activate the modem again like it was new - it probably took me an hour to figure out the problem and fix it. It was a nuisance, but I wasn't going to report the girl for the mistake.

A person I know commented something about poor customer she received (who is coincidentally a low paid retail worker herself) and that she was going to report that person to the business. Unless it was particularly egregious, I don't want to put someone's livelihood potentially on the line about bad service.

What's your thought on this?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-21-2015 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: deleted company name.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:52 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
It depends on the situation. If the customer service rep is doing the best they can, and makes an honest mistake, I won't report it. But if they're nasty or rude or surly to me, then yes I'll report it.

Unfortunately, dealing with irate customers comes with the territory in a job like that. The ones who try hard and make the best of it have my respect; the ones that dish back the nastiness they receive will get reported.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:00 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,759 times
It depends.

I've never worked in a call center myself, but I know plenty of people who have, and you're right - it's stressful, low-paying, and has an astronomically high turnover rate.

If someone makes an honest mistake that I can reasonably fix by myself (such as your example above), then I almost-certainly will not call and make a fuss about it. Also, if I can tell that my particular issue wasn't caused and couldn't be resolved by the person I'm talking to, then I don't want that person penalized either. I know the call center employees are pretty far down the totem pole in terms of actual power.

However, if I receive rude service or if/when it becomes clear that the employee is doing the bare minimum to hopefully get me off the phone or pass the buck, then yeah...I want to speak to a manager. I understand that it's a stressful job and that no one lives their life dreaming of the day they can become a call center employee, but when I call the customer service line, I do expect a degree of, you know, actual service.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 AM

507 posts, read 442,875 times
I only report the grossly inept or rude. I'll also make a note to complain to the company if my call gets routed overseas, especially if the company is American.Moderator cut: delete
I had that experience last week and two people in India could not figure out what was wrong with my landline call blocking feature (*60 wouldn't work). Thirty minutes and finally one said he wanted to get his supervisor. After another three minutes on hold, I hung up, called back, and got someone in upstate New York who, while she couldn't figure out what the issue was, gave me options to use the feature online or through the TV box. Still can't use *60 even though it's part of my service, but I'd rather add numbers online, anyway.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-21-2015 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: deleted the company names

Old 09-21-2015, 08:50 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It depends on the situation. If the customer service rep is doing the best they can, and makes an honest mistake, I won't report it. But if they're nasty or rude or surly to me, then yes I'll report it.

Unfortunately, dealing with irate customers comes with the territory in a job like that. The ones who try hard and make the best of it have my respect; the ones that dish back the nastiness they receive will get reported.

Sorry, but are you saying that you are nasty to the employee and just expect them to take it?

I will report those who are rude for no reason. But, I wouldn't be rude first. And if I were, well.. I don't expect minimum wage employees to put up with unsolicited rudeness daily from people and just grin and bear it.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:53 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I'll generally give service people one pass, and chalk it up to bad day syndrome. But after the 3rd time the deli clerk at the grocery store was downright surly, I made a point of naming her when doing one of those online surveys about my experience. The only time I bother to do the surveys is when I've had a bad experience, but since they asked....

Old 09-21-2015, 08:56 AM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
I only report the grossly inept or rude. I'll also make a note to complain to the company if my call gets routed overseas, especially if the company is American. Moderator cut: delete

I had that experience last week and two people in India could not figure out what was wrong with my landline call blocking feature (*60 wouldn't work). Thirty minutes and finally one said he wanted to get his supervisor. After another three minutes on hold, I hung up, called back, and got someone in upstate New York who, while she couldn't figure out what the issue was, gave me options to use the feature online or through the TV box. Still can't use *60 even though it's part of my service, but I'd rather add numbers online, anyway.
Even though the people couldn't fix the problem, the lower level staff especially are vulnerable to firings/discipline from bad survey reviews.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-21-2015 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: deleted Company name

Old 09-21-2015, 08:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Honest mistake? I won't report it.

Bland personality? I won't report it.

Rudeness? I absolutely WILL report it.

Sloppiness or rank ineptitude? I probably will report it.

I also report excellent service, with specific names. If I receive excellent service, I ask the service provider for the name of the person it would be most effective to approach in order for them to get the recognition they deserve (sometimes that's not their immediate supervisor).

Old 09-21-2015, 09:17 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Sorry, but are you saying that you are nasty to the employee and just expect them to take it?

I will report those who are rude for no reason. But, I wouldn't be rude first. And if I were, well.. I don't expect minimum wage employees to put up with unsolicited rudeness daily from people and just grin and bear it.
You misunderstood my message, though in rereading it I can see how I would have left the impression that I did. No, I am not rude to service personnel, even if they are rude to me. If necessary, I will ask to speak to their supervisor, but I do not believe in repaying rudeness for rudeness. And to be honest, it's vanishingly rare that I've ever had to deal with downright rude service personnel. Some are better than others, of course, but most of them seem to at least make the effort.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Honest mistake? I won't report it.

Bland personality? I won't report it.

Rudeness? I absolutely WILL report it.

Sloppiness or rank ineptitude? I probably will report it.

I also report excellent service, with specific names. If I receive excellent service, I ask the service provider for the name of the person it would be most effective to approach in order for them to get the recognition they deserve (sometimes that's not their immediate supervisor).

You have a good point about excellent service. Many people rarely make the effort unless something is wrong, and that can be demoralizing to people in an already thankless position.

I have been known to contact corporate offices to commend employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships