Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 05:49 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times

Advertisements

I take it on a case-by-case basis. In Atlanta (and I'm sure other places) "homeless" people are housed, fed, given clothing and dropped off to beg at off-ramps all day. They get picked up in the evening and they hand over the cash. I don't know if they get a cut or not but it's quite a racket for the top dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 05:55 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Last month I actually got approached by a guy from behind when I was in the drive-thru at the bank.

I just KNEW that was bound to happen; there is a grassy area with a bus stop bench right behind the drive-thru lanes & I get "eyed" by people lounging around back there all the time.

I handed him like a $1 in change before my pneumatic tube thingy got sent back to me. I was making a $300 cash withdrawl & was afraid my tube would be intercepted!

I was surprised that the cashier did not seem to "notice" that somebody was approaching patrons; I didn't want to say anything over the speaker because you have to yell to be heard & it was all just very awkward.

I'm a woman & I was alone with my disabled 12 year old child; I didn't know what else to do!

Roll up the window, honk the horn, drive through, go into the bank to complete transaction!

Old 11-11-2016, 05:22 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Agree 100% with everything you've said. I myself have also done volunteer work in soup kitchens, etc. But, I will definitely not give $ to beggars/scam artists. Living in a large urban area, I have also noticed that most of the time when people start conversations with me, it's because they want $.

I also agree that people that give money to these creeps ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. People that do this are just enabling these panhandlers - and, as a result, they will continue asking for $ & become even more entitled and aggressive. If no one gave them $, this wouldn't be as much of an issue.

This country is fast becoming a nation of entitled scum who want something for nothing - and, it's just getting worse.
yep, almost every day, i see an old guy with a walker and a cardboard sign posted up at the supermarket entrance panhandling. one day, i saw him put away his walker, walk to his SUV, get in, and drive away.

none of these panhandling scum can be trusted.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:34 AM

372 posts, read 521,661 times
When I was working, I stopped on my way home at a convenience store. A family was stranded with a broken-down car and had no way to get home. They asked if I could help. I gave them $5, which was all the cash I had on me. Another time, I stopped for lunch at a Taco Bell. On my way out, a woman stopped me and asked if I could give her some money to buy a meal. Unfortunately, I did not have it to give her, and told her so. She just hung her head and sighed: "There ain't no jobs anywhere in this town", turned and walked away. I felt bad for her, but there was nothing I could do. A week later, I was at the same Taco Bell, when a man approached my car and asked for money. I told him I did not have any, started the engine and quickly drove away. I did not go back after that.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:55 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrygal View Post
When I was working, I stopped on my way home at a convenience store. A family was stranded with a broken-down car and had no way to get home. They asked if I could help. I gave them $5, which was all the cash I had on me. Another time, I stopped for lunch at a Taco Bell. On my way out, a woman stopped me and asked if I could give her some money to buy a meal. Unfortunately, I did not have it to give her, and told her so. She just hung her head and sighed: "There ain't no jobs anywhere in this town", turned and walked away. I felt bad for her, but there was nothing I could do. A week later, I was at the same Taco Bell, when a man approached my car and asked for money. I told him I did not have any, started the engine and quickly drove away. I did not go back after that.
The car may not have been broken down. It could have easily been a scam.

For some reason, fast food places are a haven for panhandlers. For a while, I saw numerous ones at a place I used to go to - especially around the drive through area.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:27 AM

372 posts, read 521,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
The car may not have been broken down. It could have easily been a scam.
It was. They had a busted radiator. You could see the coolant dripping from underneath the car.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:20 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I gave a dollar to a guy today who was hanging out on the highway off-ramp. There's a traffic light and so the cars are stopped. This is in Newark, NJ. I have a doctor appointment there every six months, and someone is always begging in the spot.

I rolled down my window and gave him a dollar and wished him better days.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 22 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,211 times
Short answer, no I don't.

In my town, there is a retail center anchored by Walmart on one end and Lowe's on the other end, and the main entrances and exits for the shopping area are near these stores.

At both entry/exit points, but more commonly at Walmart, someone is often standing there holding a sign saying "homeless", "out of work" or "will work for food".

People can't help but see the beggars, because they are leaving the retail center, and stopped waiting for the traffic light to change from red to green.

In one recent instance, a beggar had his cute little Chihuahua with him, and although I love dogs, I have to wonder why the guy had the dog---if he can't take care of himself, how can he take care of a dog?

Even in the parking lot of this retail center, I've had beggars approach me for "help", but was able to shake them off and leave, and I know that some of them are scammers, not someone with a legitimate need.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:24 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
Agree 100% with the above post!!!!

Aggressive panhandling should be outlawed - and it is, in some places. Though, that hasn't stopped panhandlers from still doing this.

I have actually had these people drive up to me in nice cars (while in store parking lots) and ask me for $. So, you can afford to maintain a car that's in better shape than my car - but you still need $?! Go $#%# yourself.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:01 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
It depends for me. I was strangled for cash once not in my hometown and needed to buy a ticket to get home when I was young and I did ask for help people on the street (I was helped, and got home safely and did not ask for more than I needed), so if anyone asks for money to buy a ticket I cannot refuse. Or if a person just hit any cord in my soul, then he'll get a buck, such as a guy showing me his Military ID and saying I want to get drunk and I don't have money for that. But generally speaking, I don't give. And I wish I am in a better financial position to do - most people who beg, ain't millionaires and there're no bailouts for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships