Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times

Advertisements

I made a friend many years ago when I was an exchange student. The woman eventually immigrated to the U.S. and I had seen her a couple times. The last time I saw her she was very pregnant. Fast forward 20 years. I googled her and realized she had died of cancer. I saw pictures of her handsome adult son and contemplated letting him know how sorry I was, but in the end decided to let it go. Still makes me sad to think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 11:58 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,340 times
I googled an old childhood friend, and found out he recently died of a sudden heart attack, he was married 3 times and had 6 children and 3 step children

I stopped associating with him after he got married the first time, I was surprised to find out he had died and had so many kids and had been married and divorced numerous times.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:47 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
I didn't "google" anyone, I set up a facebook page because a few people I knew in the military really wanted to be able to communicate with me and that's the easiest way. They then told me to join a group for those of us in that company.

From there I found out that a few fellow soldiers were dead...which still has me in a bit of shock because they are way too young to have died. (Cancer and things like that.)

It's one thing to have known OF people who have died, even like the little 7 year old sister of a person in high school who was two grades above me, but it's entirely different when you actually knew the people, associated with the people, they are (were) the same age as you, and they're dead now, and they were not old...totally different. In my life, I had only known old people who had died with exception of two young kids when I was kid, (but I didn't know the kids, just knew who they were), so this is a new experience for me. I don't care if death is natural, I don't like it.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:17 PM

820 posts, read 972,167 times
Old thread, but I recently googled a guy I was friendly with several years ago and found out he hung himself in 2013. First thing that popped up was an obit, then I went to Google News because I thought maybe that would list the cause of death and it did

Old 02-27-2018, 06:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Many people I know from school days, have passed away. Some died before obituaries were being commonly published on the internet, so I've only found out they died through word of mouth.

Others have simply disappeared; can't find them anywhere.

I've stopped contacting people from my past because it seems most people don't want to be found or want others looking them up on social media. They seem to have a dividing line between people they knew "long ago" and people they know "now" and that line is very important to them. For whatever reason.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:49 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
I remember somehow finding out that a friend I had in college was killed in a murder-suicide by her ex while she was in graduate school. She had told me when we were freshmen and they had just broken up that he was crazy and had a gun, but I had thought she had gotten him out of her life. I know she’d had some rough time after they’d broken up, going to anorexia inpatient rehab, but it seemed like she was recovering when I had last seen her my senior year.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:13 PM

99,541 posts, read 4,490,935 times
Yes, I have done this many times and learned of the deaths of friends and acquaintances from the past. Some were not
surprising. Others were most shocking and unexpected. Deaths in the prime of life, etc.

On a positive note, I have googled other childhood friends and have been pleasantly surprised at how successful they have been in their lives!

Old 02-28-2018, 06:38 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Yes and sometimes it seems only the good die young. The most awful people I knew are still out there hurting people. I swear every time I see an obit for someone from the past, it is sad because it was someone decent. Google the bullies, jerks and con artists and they just won the lottery or something.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:28 PM

924 posts, read 751,657 times
I have - this being a guy whom I'd known/gone to school with in northern Arizona. I'd actually been looking up someone else's name (whom I'd also known from that area), and was really surprised to read that this guy had died some years previously.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
I knew a poet who lived in Alaska who I met when he came to my city to do a reading from his most recent book of poetry.

He would write me lovely several page handwritten letters.

I googled him a couple years ago and found that he had died of a brain tumor at age 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships