Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:40 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Two choices:

1. Don't go.

2. Shut up and behave yourself. You're an adult. ACT LIKE IT!
Yep!

Old 10-06-2015, 02:43 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am going to the reunion at the specific request of about five people. The issue is how, short of punching out the other two, do I handle them?
You act like a grown up and let it go. Focus on your own good time.

I guess my 40th reunion would be this year too. I have never gone to any of mine, I never had any interest.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:27 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
There you go, reading between the lines again. One would think that if you are old enough to participate in these discussions, you would know that there is nothing between the lines but empty space!
No, I am not bitter about those who bullied me 60 years ago. (except for the PE teacher, HIM I will never forgive! It doesn't matter, he is one of the dead ones!)
But, it was definitely surprising to see that one of the main bullies that most of us expected to end up in prison, became a quite successful business man, and is still married to his high school sweetheart.
I am very glad to see that he turned his life around in time. SHE deserves it, she was a great gal in school!
I have little in common with them because all the guys can think about is sports. High school, college, professional, doesn't matter, sports is everything.
Not me. the aforementioned PE teacher saw to it that I (and a few others) were convinced that sports had nothing to offer us, either as participants or spectators. He managed to totally destroy my enjoyment of sports in 4 short years of high school. He did not encourage us to try our best, he derided us because our best wasn't good enough for HIM!
So, yes, I felt out of place, as usual.
Now that I have said my piece, I will forget the whole thing, just as I always done in the past. Dwelling on it accomplishes nothing. The only time I see those people is at a reunion, so they are in no way part of my life. Some I remember rather fondly, many I don't remember at all until I see tham at another reunion.
IF I ever go to another one...
Glad to see you're pretty much over it now.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:29 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
I don’t really get people like the OP, who intentionally put themselves in situations that are going to stress themselves out. So what if 5 people want you to go to the reunion? It’s your call, not theirs. If other people’s mere presence is going to cause you problems that you’re aware of ahead of time, don’t go. You, those 5 people, and everyone else there will be the better for it.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:58 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
I have NEVER attended any of my HS reunions.. Didn't care to see any of the losers I went to school with.... So it was never a hard decision for me.. Went to my wife's 25th and it was as expected.. The ones that NEVER left the area were mostly friendly to each other and the ones that moved away were treated like step children.. Even the ones who were friendly to each other rubbed each other the wrong way before it was over...

Have never seen the reason for this as the ones you are truly friends with you have been in contact with over the years and the others you aren't who cares.. If the ONLY reason you go is to check out how well or worse other people are then IMO that is just being childish....

Old 10-07-2015, 09:11 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I have NEVER attended any of my HS reunions.. Didn't care to see any of the losers I went to school with.... So it was never a hard decision for me.. Went to my wife's 25th and it was as expected.. The ones that NEVER left the area were mostly friendly to each other and the ones that moved away were treated like step children.. Even the ones who were friendly to each other rubbed each other the wrong way before it was over...

Have never seen the reason for this as the ones you are truly friends with you have been in contact with over the years and the others you aren't who cares.. If the ONLY reason you go is to check out how well or worse other people are then IMO that is just being childish....
I have been to my 20th and 30th high school reunions and that was not my experience AT ALL. I was not part of the popular crowd at all in HS, and still I enjoyed talking to everyone again, having some nice cocktails and a delicious dinner followed by dancing.

I think I said hello to everyone there (about 150 people) and got a HUGE kick out of seeing how our faces had all changed. It was surreal!

Maybe people who get so bent about reunions have a bit more baggage than others, or take themselves (or their younger selves) far too seriously? Geez, we were 17 year old kids. Let it (whatever it is) go!

Old 10-07-2015, 09:46 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:

I was added, not by choice, to my HS reunion'sModerator cut: edit social media page. It was cool for like one week to see what everyone else was doing, but no way in hell in going to the reunion. I'm done with HS memories. There is a reason I live 300 miles away from my old HS.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-13-2015 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: see sticky post about FB and Instagram

Old 10-07-2015, 09:50 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Next Saturday night is my 40th High School reunion. After thinking about it, I posted my issues concerning the reunion on the Class of 75's Moderator cut: edit Page. Enough people with whom I have not been in regular contact have urged me to come. The problems crystallize as follows. Three of my life's closest friends (friendships dating from 1964-72) are attending.

One of the three is a constant tennis partner, and we talk regularly. That one's wife is in remission, but has serious health problems. I don't need a reunion to see him.

The other two out of the three are a different story. These are people I'm not talking to; one since his rude handling of the 1995 and 2005 reunions, and the other for about 10 months (despite his inviting me to his daughter's wedding in May. These are the two prior threads on this individual:
  1. Friend Losses After Family and Job Loss - Draft of "Holiday" Greeting to Erstwhile and Current Friends
  2. Starting to Think of Unfriending "Real Life" Close Friend
As a matter of principal, I will not make "small talk" with either of these two people until I "clear the air." With the first one, i.e. the one who was rude at the last two reunions, an apology will do. For the second one (the one who the threads here are about) the matter is not so simple. He has often, over the period of our relationship, shut off contact, usually based upon some spurious grievance and then reappeared as if nothing happened.

Should I accept that for what would now be the fifth or sixth such time?

When I was younger my Father use to say, "there are two types of people that attend high school reunions....those that want to show everyone how well they are doing and those that want to re-live the "glory days"....not sure if that is entirely what makes up a reunion but, when I read stories like this I think of the axiom; "sometimes its better to leave the past where it belongs"....sounds like this may/may not be the case for you.

It seems that people are more joyous in the 5, 10, and 20 year reunions than they are beyond. That and perhaps quite a few have simply moved on and very faded memories of that time long ago. They have gained perspective and suddenly, it was only a period of time in your youth that was 3-4 years in duration. Nothing more. Unique memories to be sure but, not so unique when you are looking down the barrel of a 40 year reunion.

I've haven't been to one since my 10th and I even regret going to that. I'm closing in on my 40th as well. I see no need to go back and re-live much of anything and believe me, I had a stellar High School experience that has kept me friends with those I knew at a very young age even prior to High School. Just so much time has passed that it doesn't seem necessary. I talk to the ones who are still friends and don't worry about the rest.

Good luck with your choice. Pretty personal decision but, from what you have stated it doesn't sound like it would be all that pleasant. Why bother?

Old 10-08-2015, 11:56 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:

With]mod]delete[/mod] social media today, I have absolutely no need for high school reunions. Why on earth would I EVER want to relive high school? Yeah, lemme pay for an over priced dinner to spend an evening with people I couldn't stand and were nasty to me 20 years ago....umm thanks but no thanks. The people I wanted to remain friends with I did. And with Facebook, I know what everyone I care about is up to. We get together whenever we want. No need for the haters or crappy dinner.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-13-2015 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: see sticky post atop this page about FB and Instagram

Old 10-08-2015, 04:24 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,374 times
Most people are mature enough to have let go of the hate and bad attitudes that they had when they were in high school.

On the other hand, with social media, who needs reunions? Okay, for many, the reunions aren't just about connecting with HS friends; some of those friends were friends going all the way back to the early days of grade school. But then, if those were people that you would enjoy seeing at a reunion, you could easily talk to them without a reunion.

I have a childhood friend who, when I reconnected with her via social media, reminded me of what a "nervous" kid I was. 30 years later, that's all she remembered. I did enlighten her about the cause of my "nervousness" - a neurological disorder that continues to challenge me. But she couldn't drop her perception of me as a "nervous" person. Do I want to see her again? Not really. There are others, I am sure, who are similar.

So - I've moved on with life. No reunions for me. Thanks, but no thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships