Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 04:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Next Saturday night is my 40th High School reunion. After thinking about it, I posted my issues concerning the reunion on the Class of 75's Moderator cut: edit Page. Enough people with whom I have not been in regular contact have urged me to come. The problems crystallize as follows. Three of my life's closest friends (friendships dating from 1964-72) are attending.

One of the three is a constant tennis partner, and we talk regularly. That one's wife is in remission, but has serious health problems. I don't need a reunion to see him.

The other two out of the three are a different story. These are people I'm not talking to; one since his rude handling of the 1995 and 2005 reunions, and the other for about 10 months (despite his inviting me to his daughter's wedding in May. These are the two prior threads on this individual:
  1. Friend Losses After Family and Job Loss - Draft of "Holiday" Greeting to Erstwhile and Current Friends
  2. Starting to Think of Unfriending "Real Life" Close Friend
As a matter of principal, I will not make "small talk" with either of these two people until I "clear the air." With the first one, i.e. the one who was rude at the last two reunions, an apology will do. For the second one (the one who the threads here are about) the matter is not so simple. He has often, over the period of our relationship, shut off contact, usually based upon some spurious grievance and then reappeared as if nothing happened.

Should I accept that for what would now be the fifth or sixth such time?
Dude....really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You are stuck in high school drama mode. And now that you've aired your grievances to the rest of the class, all eyes will be on you. Do everybody, but especially yourself, a favor, and stay home.
This.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:14 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Next Saturday night is my 40th High School reunion. After thinking about it, I posted my issues concerning the reunion on the Class of 75's Moderator cut: edit Page. Enough people with whom I have not been in regular contact have urged me to come. The problems crystallize as follows. Three of my life's closest friends (friendships dating from 1964-72) are attending.

One of the three is a constant tennis partner, and we talk regularly. That one's wife is in remission, but has serious health problems. I don't need a reunion to see him.

The other two out of the three are a different story. These are people I'm not talking to; one since his rude handling of the 1995 and 2005 reunions, and the other for about 10 months (despite his inviting me to his daughter's wedding in May. These are the two prior threads on this individual:
  1. Friend Losses After Family and Job Loss - Draft of "Holiday" Greeting to Erstwhile and Current Friends
As a matter of principal, I will not make "small talk" with either of these two people until I "clear the air." With the first one, i.e. the one who was rude at the last two reunions, an apology will do. For the second one (the one who the threads here are about) the matter is not so simple. He has often, over the period of our relationship, shut off contact, usually based upon some spurious grievance and then reappeared as if nothing happened.

Making public your grievances really means this: I made myself the class laughingstock.

Spare all of them the juvenile-like drama and stay home.

And the Fab Five? Yeah, they just want to be entertained by your drama.

Last edited by picklejuice; 10-04-2015 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-04-2015, 04:23 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
It's not that other's don't understand the pain, because most people have lost friends or at least felt mistreated or undervalued at one time or another. The majority of responses have simply encouraged you not to try to get even. It is childish and would bring you down in the eyes of everyone. You cannot change the callous self centered behavior of others, but you can try to be a better person yourself.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
I am going to the reunion at the specific request of about five people. The issue is how, short of punching out the other two, do I handle them?
First, you don't punch anyone. I'd still recommend not going. You are too angry. You won't be happy, and those around you won't be happy either.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:45 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
I just took a long nap to think about a lot of what has been posted here. It is obvious that most people have no concept of the pain of losing a long-time friend. Either they are lucky enough never to have lost one or have never really had one.
Pretty presumptuous to believe nobody here has lost a friendship. I know I have.

As upsetting as it is, most people I know are mature enough to deal with it as an adult, and not hold on to such anger and bitterness.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:47 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Why go to a H.S. reunion if you don't want to go, and if going will upset/anger you? This doesn't make sense to me.

I've never gone to a H.S. reunion, and never plan on doing so. In fact, I have no idea when or if these reunions are even taking place. I've never gotten an invite, and wouldn't go even if I did. I live halfway across the country from where I went to H.S., but even if I still lived in that area, I still wouldn't go. That part of my life is well behind me.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 10-04-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 10-04-2015, 04:58 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
I really like showing up people who present as having a very urbane, mature personality but at bottom have the maturity of 10 year olds.
I can't believe that I'm the first on this thread to point out that this is exactly what you are doing, and the person you are showing up is yourself.

Seriously, you should be embarrassed by this entire thread. You have demonstrated to all that you derive more pleasure from nursing your grudges than anything else. If I were you I would ask the mods to delete it.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:56 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Try and fast forward 25 years and ask yourself how small you looked at this reunion because you conducted yourself like a child.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:46 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:

Omigod -- you are NOT in high school any more!! In fact, you are the same age I am, I just had my 40th reunion in August. You are obviously someone who gets butt-hurt when your feelings are hurt, and can't just say, "Well, this person has moved into the 'well-known acquaintance' category for now . . . " and move on with your life; instead, you take each hurt and mull it over and marinate in it until it blows up beyond all help.

People are people. Really, are there only 4 people going to this reunion? If there's more than 50 people, it should be relatively easy to not spend a great deal of time with one of them. You wander around, talk to people, find out what they've been doing, what they're thinking about doing in retirement, let 'em talk about their families . . . you know, chit-chat.

So -- go to the reunion if you want to see people you went to high school with. If you don't want to, DON'T GO. But I sure as hell wouldn't allow my feelings about one or two people color what could be a fun evening reconnecting with people that you spent four years with, day in and day out.

Basically, you'll have about as much fun as you want to -- either you're going to go and glare at the miscreants who have treated you lightly, or you can ignore them politely past a casual "Hey, how are you?" as you move past them to chat with another person.

Honestly -- this sounds lke you just graduated two years ago, instead of 40!!

Old 10-04-2015, 07:52 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
...either you're going to go and glare at the miscreants who have treated you lightly, or you can ignore them politely past a casual "Hey, how are you?" as you move past them to chat with another person.

Honestly -- this sounds lke you just graduated two years ago, instead of 40!!
To repeat, the issue on which I seek advice is if one or both of the people who you call "miscreants" (your label, not mine) try to make casual or deep conversation as if nothing happened, do I play the role of the phony?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships