Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 01:51 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I did go to the luncheon and I was seated at another table with some friendly women. She came over in the middle of lunch to tell me that she had saved a seat for me.

I said "Oh thanks Betty, but I've already settled in here.' She came over to say good bye as I was leaving, but she was rather cold and phony-friendly.

The luncheon was pleasant - now I'll enjoy the rest of the day with my husband! I really appreciate everyone's concern and birthday wishes!
So glad you updated!! Glad to hear that it well, the ladies were pleasant, you didn't have to deal with "Betty" too much, and most importantly that you enjoyed your birthday!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 02:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Sigh, talking with an intolerant, angry, overbearing Republican is the same as
talking with an intolerant, angry, overbearing vegetarian....or
an intolerant, angry, overbearing Christian or an intolerant,
angry, overbearing atheist.

Angry, overbearing people are to be avoided...if it's not this it will be the waitress,
the cashier, the city council....it never stops.

So sorry, didn't see if you went to the luncheon or not...but, if it gives you
a cringe feeling...follow that
feeling and do some other wonderful thing ...it's your day! Be free!

We have these feelings as indicators to chose happiness!!

Edited: I read back...you seemed to handle it well!
But I'll leave what I wrote....could help others.

I'm glad you were born, Sheena! xxoo

Old 10-12-2015, 02:08 PM

138 posts, read 233,110 times
Happy Birthday, Sheena12! I'm glad you went and I agree you handled it perfectly! I picture her scurrying around amongst bunches of folks looking for her next target. Sorta like Pizza Rat.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:28 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Meh. Likely everyone else at the church know about her attitude and avoids her.. You can just do the same.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
When you get a chance....talk to the pastor about this.

But, for today...........have a Happy Birthday!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Well done indeed.

You do need to discus this with the pastor.

You said he keeps his themes to traditional topics of love and compassion, without interjecting any political bias from the pulpit.

The pastor NEEDS to know that you went through. No thoughtful, compassionate pastor wants new members or potential members driven off by a bully. Because that is what she is: A bully.

Acknowledge that every church and its pastor are free to "lean" one way or another, and that I your political views put you out of place in the congregation, then you will thank him for the wisdom of his sermons, and be on your way elsewhere.

I think you will find him infinitely grateful that you brought this to his attention. No pastor wants -- or can afford to -- have new people driven away by a bully who presumes to alienate new people.
I don't see why she should tell the pastor. That would only make her look like a busybody who can't deal with her own social interactions.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:50 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That's the thing. This woman isn't "talking about politics."

She's using the topic of politics to judge whether or not you will agree with her on everything. I would see it as a quick lesson that she is not someone with whom you could actually have a legitimate political discussion.

It sounds like that's what War Beagle is doing too.
Precisely Wmsn4Life. She is using it as a litmus test. To weed people out, and demean then in the process. That's not for me.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:55 PM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
If you let one person ruin something for you, that's your fault.

No doubt she's alienated most people she's come in contact with and if she gives you crap you'll probably make friends as they come to your aid.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:16 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
I'd run a MILE from someone like this, and not look back either.

I was raised to believe 3 subjects totally off the agenda in Polite Society:

1. sex
2. religion
3. politics

That rule still serves me well today.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't see why she should tell the pastor. That would only make her look like a busybody who can't deal with her own social interactions.
I agree. I'm sure the minister has enough real problems to deal with, and what would he do anyway, have a sit-down with Betty to tell her to knock it off??

I'm with the poster who said her behavior is probably (hopefully) well known and merely tolerated in the congregation anyway.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Because pastors counsel us in life........and this is in the church of his flock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships