Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:54 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
Since he owns the townhouse, he can have her stay there if he wishes to do so. But he should talk to you about it so you know.
This. ^^^. Even though the OP is renting a room, there is common space to be shared unless the OP is expected to cook, shower and do laundry all in that one room too. I don't think it's unrealistic to want to know who is expected to be in that space, even if you're "just" the boarder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 10:00 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Maybe in NJ. It's not that way in other states. Once you're in for 30 days and you have mail coming to the address you're considered a resident.

The documentation can be mail with her name on it showing the address, as well as copies of checks showing she has been paying rent.

You can't just lock some one out one day, well you can, but you will go to court and lose. And probably have to pay
You're assuming she pays with a check, what if it's cash? How do you prove "30 days"? I can list your address for mail and hasve my mail delivered to your place without your permission (or knowledge), does that make me a resident of your place?

As I said before, rights and laws are only as good as they can be enforced.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You're assuming she pays with a check, what if it's cash? How do you prove "30 days"? I can list your address for mail and hasve my mail delivered to your place without your permission (or knowledge), does that make me a resident of your place?

As I said before, rights and laws are only as good as they can be enforced.
I highly doubt a 3O yr old woman who works full time and also goes to grad school pays in cash. Pretty sure she has a checking account. Probably also gave him a deposit, which would be dated.

And yes, showing that you are receiving mail at an address is a way of proving you live there.

She also has keys. That usually proves you live there.

Look, she sounds like someone who would be better off living alone, but people who think she has no rights are wrong. And if she is paying half the utilities and this girlfriend is there enough and taking showers well the girlfriend is running up the bills. I wouldn't sit there and pay 50/50 if three people are using the utilities and only two are paying and not say anything.

The best thing to do is talk to him, if he doesn't agree to some compromise than she has to move, and that is within his right.

But if he needs her rent to help cover his mortgage, and they seem to get along(I have a feeling she is quiet and neat), he may not want to lose her. I know it's his place, but he is foolish to let some woman he just met free reign in his place.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I highly doubt a 3O yr old woman who works full time and also goes to grad school pays in cash. Pretty sure she has a checking account. Probably also gave him a deposit, which would be dated.
Pretty sure whether she pays in cash or not is not determined by whether she has a checking account but by whether the landlord accepts a check.

And yes, showing that you are receiving mail at an address is a way of proving you live there.
What's your address? I'll start having my electric bill sent to your house. Then 30 days later I'll be over to fix myself dinner and watch TV in the place I "live".

Look, she sounds like someone who would be better off living alone, but people who think she has no rights are wrong. And if she is paying half the utilities and this girlfriend is there enough and taking showers well the girlfriend is running up the bills. I wouldn't sit there and pay 50/50 if three people are using the utilities and only two are paying and not say anything.
Never said she didn't have rights, just that it takes some effort to enforce rights and in the meantime, possessor prevails. It's like the old saying "you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride".

But if he needs her rent to help cover his mortgage, and they seem to get along(I have a feeling she is quiet and neat), he may not want to lose her. I know it's his place, but he is foolish to let some woman he just met free reign in his place.
He's thinking with the wrong head.
Answers inline.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:57 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
It is not her 'right' to dictate to the homeowner, from whom she rents a room, what he can or cannot do in his own house.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:26 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:

Having a key proves absolutely nothing! Let's see what I've had to keys to over the years....several stores I've worked at - didn't live in any of them, my grandparents house, my husband's grandparents' house, my husband's parents' house, my sister's apartment, my high school best friend's house.....funny thing since i didn't live in any of those!

I still get mail at my house for the previous owners. They left over 3 years ago!

I have a checking account, but I don't pay any of my bills with checks. They're all paid electronically.

I know many 30 year olds who don't have a checking account and they're employed. They survive just fine without it. MANY people pay rent in cash. I used to work in property management and we had a commercial tenant pay his rent every month in cash. His rent was over $3K. He didn't pay it in 100's or 50's. I thought he was nuts for walking around with that kind of cash. He was INCREDIBLY trusting that his rent was credited and didn't disappear. Kind of naive if you ask me.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:36 AM

709 posts, read 766,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Regardless, she sounds like a spoiled brat. She rents a room because she can't afford to get an apartment of her own, then takes over and expects to control the entire house. It's wrong, and I don't give a rat's azz about the law. She should be thrown out for her bad attitude. You rent a room, you control exactly that room. You don't get to dictate to the owner of the house who else comes and goes, as long those people stay out of your room. The one you rent.
You must be a heck of a real estate agent. If I'm ever looking to buy property in New Jersey, I'll make sure to avoid using you.

From reading the responses in this thread, it's pretty clear most have never shared a place with roommates, or rented a room from someone.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:38 AM

709 posts, read 766,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What's your address? I'll start having my electric bill sent to your house. Then 30 days later I'll be over to fix myself dinner and watch TV in the place I "live".
Sure you can try this. But don't be upset when the electricity gets shut off at your home, because you never got the bills.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Sure you can try this. But don't be upset when the electricity gets shut off at your home, because you never got the bills.
Autopay. It's not a new concept.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:28 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:

I know it's his place, but he is foolish to let some woman he just met free reign in his place.
Older guys who are financially secure and single seem to be especially vulnerable to being taken advantage of by women who are a couple decades (or more) younger than they are. I've known a few who were robbed blind by younger women and were too ashamed to even go to the police about it. So I can see where the OP might be worried that this girl would steal from the home and that the OP, as the renter, would be blamed for it. But there's still not much she can do other than to lock her room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships