U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2015, 07:21 PM
 
3,316 posts, read 4,881,061 times
Reputation: 2285

Advertisements

This happened 10 years ago, but something recently brought it up again. I spent the night at my friends house and he lived with his girlfriend, good friend and brother. I was getting ready to move and had $1,000 cash in by back pack. I know my friend knew about it and I'm not sure of everyone else. In the morning the house was empty. I woke up and the cash was gone. It was a lot to me because I was moving without a job. I had only $2,000 in the bank.

So today I still know my friend and his brother. No one admits to it. I think I should treat all as if they stole. I mean, I shouldn't trust either of them. They shouldn't be left with the opportunity again.

At this point it's not about the money. Well it is at some point. If I lost 1k I'd be ok, but if I could lose 1k, maybe I could lose much more and leave me in a bad spot.

Should I treat both people as a thief? I know I'd hate to be treated like that, but at least they weren't ripped off. And I have nothing else to go off of.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-22-2015 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2015, 07:22 PM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,428 posts, read 34,074,627 times
Reputation: 38693
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Should I treat both people as a thief?
How does one do that?


You have no idea WHO took the money TEN YEARS ago... let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 07:32 PM
 
3,316 posts, read 4,881,061 times
Reputation: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
How does one do that?


You have no idea WHO took the money TEN YEARS ago... let it go.

By not giving them easy access to anything of value that can be stolen. Basically like a stranger. You lock things up.

I know it was 10 years ago, but it's a 50/50 chance they are someone who would steal a large amount if they could. It would be unwise to not think of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 07:53 PM
 
21,161 posts, read 20,151,075 times
Reputation: 25687
She's right. Either drop them or stop thinking of them as thieves. Secure your cash and valuables and you won't have to worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 08:09 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 5,076,837 times
Reputation: 11874
There's ways you can tell, you know.

Can you remember what each persons reaction was to the news?

The answer may lie right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 08:13 PM
 
9,801 posts, read 5,868,243 times
Reputation: 22408
Drop them all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 PM
 
16,341 posts, read 18,677,676 times
Reputation: 31760
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
This happened 10 years ago, but something recently brought it up again. I spent the night at my friends house and he lived with his girlfriend, good friend and brother. I was getting ready to move and had $1,000 cash in by back pack. I know my friend knew about it and I'm not sure of everyone else. In the morning the house was empty. I woke up and the cash was gone. It was a lot to me because I was moving without a job. I had only $2,000 in the bank.

So today I still know my friend and his brother. No one admits to it. I think I should treat all as if they stole. I mean, I shouldn't trust either of them. They shouldn't be left with the opportunity again.

At this point it's not about the money. Well it is at some point. If I lost 1k I'd be ok, but if I could lose 1k, maybe I could lose much more and leave me in a bad spot.

Should I treat both people as a thief? I know I'd hate to be treated like that, but at least they weren't ripped off. And I have nothing else to go off of.
Why are you still bothering with these people? It clearly still bothers you. You should have cut the cord, plenty of people have ended friendships or just lost contact over much less than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 PM
 
3,316 posts, read 4,881,061 times
Reputation: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
There's ways you can tell, you know.

Can you remember what each persons reaction was to the news?

The answer may lie right there.
You are right. I only asked one person though. I was sure it was them. But their reaction was that it wasn't. And if it wasn't I hold them responsible. It was their place and their shady friends and relatives.

Until this point I was around trust worthy people. I'll never get my money back, but none will get my trust and will have to live the rest of their lives as suspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Sugarmill Woods , FL
6,239 posts, read 4,970,849 times
Reputation: 13521
Let it go, it is troubling you way too much for something from a decade ago. Life is too short to let this stuff eat at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 08:18 PM
 
3,316 posts, read 4,881,061 times
Reputation: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Why are you still bothering with these people? It clearly still bothers you. You should have cut the cord, plenty of people have ended friendships or just lost contact over much less than this.

true, and im of a different class of people and should find the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:02 AM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top