Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

I like the way you think, op!!!

When we were in residency (all of us far from home/family), my ex and I made our house the one the single guys/gals could go to for random pizza night or just to watch a flick with other people or a holiday meal. That was fun for all of us. I remember one resident the year behind me that we insisted on loading up with food. God, the stuff that boy would eat if left to his own devices!

Sometimes it's just nice to have a plan for a day you know everyone else has plans for. And we always figured out a gift or two so they'd have some fun under the tree, too.

I wish the hidden lonely among us would make themselves more visible so we could drag them along in our nutbag family just like we did back in those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 10:23 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
OP: Are you speaking about leaving nice tips to service industry people, or actually giving "gifts?" Receiving a gift from a casual acquaintance and someone a barely know would not make me feel any better; it would be very odd. I think it would make most people feel odd and cause anxiety about the whole gift giving process. The former I understand, the later I don't.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:25 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
Remembering those who don't have close family or for that matter any family is what Christmas is all about. I make up hot chocolate and cookie baskets and either donate them or give them to friends and friends of friends. Being the one who organises everything can leave folks feeling left behind and a gift of something as simple as hot choc and cookies to be enjoyed when all the excitement dies down really works.

But why stop at Christmas? I love to pay it forward ...If i see a veteran or a senior eating on their own I will often pay for their meal anonymously, it makes me happy to know I can make someone smile, let them know that even though they are alone someone cares.

I saw a post on facebook that suggested filling an old handbag with personal items and carrying it in your car, if you see a homeless person that gift can make their day. What a great idea! I'm sure I'm not the only one with too many bags in my closet.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:29 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post

But why stop at Christmas?
Exactly.
People love to make grandiose gestures at Christmas... then forget about everyone the rest of the year.
But I guess some have to start somewhere...

Old 10-28-2015, 11:16 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
I have spent Christmas serving meals at the homeless shelter before. It's a very rewarding way to spend the day.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:46 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
OP: Are you speaking about leaving nice tips to service industry people, or actually giving "gifts?" Receiving a gift from a casual acquaintance and someone a barely know would not make me feel any better; it would be very odd. I think it would make most people feel odd and cause anxiety about the whole gift giving process. The former I understand, the later I don't.
Both.
I over-tip sometimes. You know, tip someone who is doing a good job and may not get recognition for what he is doing. Like that busboy who did not walk well, and had little mental capacity, but kept on doggedly clearing his tables.
My wife was with a book group at dinner and someone suggested they over-tip the waitress. It was great fun for them and the waitress got over 100$! It was an ordinary sort of restaurant where she would not have expected more than 25$ or so at best.

But I hear what you are saying about gifts to casual acquaintances. It can come across as a bit.......gooby. Still, if you have something they need, or know of something they need.......... you know what I mean? The idea of giving anonymously always appeals to me.

Examples:
I have an old lawn mower. I could sell it, but I know of someone who needs one. So I'll give it to his church and they will give it to him.
We know of a lady who had to have a knee replaced. It put her out of work for a month, so several of us called the power company contact and paid her power bill anonymously.
It's a matter, I think, of looking around and finding out who needs what.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I would like to address the idea of a gift to a casual acquaintance.

I have been the recipient of a surprise xmas and other random gift from people I was not close to.

Because every single time these gifts were so THOUGHTFUL, I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by the sweet sentiment. These gifts were more thoughtful than many gifts I receive from people I am close to.

So, yeah...some generic gift might be awkward and/or goofy, but a real gift with real thought?! Totally different story.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
What a wonderful sentiment!

Old 10-28-2015, 04:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I've always thought it would be fun to invite other single folks you know for dinner. We've done this, and it works out nice.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:40 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I have my parents & a significant other (SO), but part of me kind of dreads the holidays because I just want to be left alone w/ just my SO & I & do our own thing & not have to go to get togethers, etc. I can stay home on a holiday, eat good Chinese food or a pizza & watch TV all day & I'll be happy.

Going out of town during the holidays & enjoying the sights & fun activities helps to those hoidays to pass by. I wouldn't mind being out of town EVERY TG & Chistmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships