Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:23 AM

3,759 posts, read 5,852,712 times

Advertisements

Our area is rather isolated and on a hill. Mostly retired folks living in the area or have kids grown. We had about 20-25. We had them from about 6 to 7 :30 and many were in cars from other areas. Wife seems to enjoy it and I don't mind it much. Many people just turn out lights and go to the back of the house.

I remember growing up in the 60's and how we had such a great time going around the neighborhood by ourselves! Also, we went to an evangelical church that had the best parties with all kinds of Haunted Houses and spooky stuff !! Also, the elementary school had a Carnival with Enchilada supper and mad lots of money and we had lots of fun. Nowadays, they would no more do that the the man in the moon! Don't even want to call it Halloween party, Oh well, how times have changed. Makes me think I really am getting old. LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 07:35 AM

865 posts, read 1,487,849 times
We have lived in our current house going on 4 years. Each year, we have less and less Halloweeners. I did notice when I see a group there will actually be 2-3 kids in the group, and 5-6 adults just "hanging out" with the kids as they go. Do you really need that many adults to go with a couple kids (and no, the adults didn't take candy - I wish they did)!

Old 11-02-2015, 08:02 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,056,830 times
Yes, I've noticed. I live in a small town with flat streets and house on top of house, perfect for trick or treating. I'm surprised by the lack of kids coming to our door. This year we only bought 2 bags of candy and didn't even go through half of it...while there are quite a few kids in our town still trick or treating, they seem to avoid my road too (I think it's because it's a dead end, not sure).

I noticed the next town over has a truck or treat, so I thought maybe they were all going to that instead. My husband and I were quite disappointed. Next year I'll just get 1 small bag of candy.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:00 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Here in Indianapolis, some kids found razor blade stuffed inside the chocolate candies. When that kind of stuff makes the news, it's hard to justify it.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:15 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Here in Indianapolis, some kids found razor blade stuffed inside the chocolate candies. When that kind of stuff makes the news, it's hard to justify it.
Those stories (rumors, more properly) were making the rounds when I was a kid in the 60s. And it didn't stop us from trick or treating. Just read in the paper this morning that someone who claimed to find pins in their kid's trick or treat candy bar was lying and admitted it.

Snopes has a story about this: Tainted Halloween Candy Round-Up 2014 : snopes.com

Old 11-02-2015, 09:17 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
We didn't get a single trick-or-treater, which is par for the course. I would love to have some kids come by, and my neighborhood is amenable to this, so I am not sure what is going on. I have posted elsewhere on C-D about this. I do scratch my head at the moms driving kids around to trick-or-treat. We used to wear ourselves out walking around and knocking on doors!

Old 11-02-2015, 09:43 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
totally depends on location. I live in a planned urban community in Denver, with tons of young families, good street lighting and houses that are on small lots, close to each other. In other words, perfect for trick or treating and people drive here from other parts of the city in addition to the neighborhood kids. I had "only" about 350 trick or treaters - that's actually low because I'm on the edge of my community in an area where there are still some undeveloped plots. In the more central part, they can get 1200 people.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:00 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
I never really counted how many kids but I went through four solid bags of the fun size candy bars. My poor neighbors barely get anyone because my house is decorated inside and out so the kids just run to ours. Then there's the kids that raid the candy cauldron at the Halloween Party. This was the last year for the open house party. Next year it will be more intimate with only a few close friends. Next year will be interesting, and hopefully a lot less work. I still have a week of take down and packing away ahead of me.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:24 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
The neighborhood where I grew up and the home mom still lives in would have hundreds of kids going door to door... this year none, as has been for most for the most recent except she had one last year...

Every year since I can remember she has her porch light on and at least on jack-o-lantern on the porch...

Guess times have changed drastically?

Old 11-02-2015, 12:24 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,783,967 times
I live on a lake but our house is right on a highway. I was assuming we'd have a few little rugrats trick or treating, but not a one. Had pumpkins out, lights on. Now that I think about it, though, I never see any kids in this neighborhood... just adults. Maybe I'll have to start giving out cocktails instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships