Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:19 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times

Advertisements

I had a friend who used to stick her fingers in her ears and chant "rainbows and butterflies" over and over again until the TMI stopped.

You could try that. It's very distracting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 09:50 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Mattie if you have been friends with her for a long time then you know her at her best and at her worst. The fact that you feel disloyal towards her deceased spouse has me puzzled? We have a friend on his second divorce that has a new love interest. We will embrace her as we did his two previous spouses. We are still friends with his previous spouses as well. It's not our place to tell him how to live his life. If your friend is too graphic about the details of her physical life then you should be able to tell her in an honest and kind way that you're not interested and change the subject. True friends can talk about anything good or bad and still have mutual respect and love for each other. Try to find a way to be happy for your friend. She's lucky to have found someone again. A lot of people go through a lonely life after the loss of a spouse and the odds of finding someone that you can connect to later in life are greatly decreased. These things work on their own time line as well. You may see it as too soon after the loss of her spouse and your friend but it works for her and that's all that should matter. Sorry dear one but it's your problem, not hers.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:56 PM

50,373 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I would cut her some slack, and change the subject. Friends do this for each other. She is feeling her way after losing her husband, and you are feeling your way after losing a friend. You can take it.
As others have said though, you can tell her that it is hard on you when she talks about things that make you uncomfortable. Friendship goes both ways.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
Why bring up her prior marriage at all? I know I dont like hearing intimate details, I dont care who it is. Why not just say, hey, Im really glad you're happy now, but I really dont need to hear all the personal details. It really makes me feel icky.

Hopefully she will respect that and stop with the sordid details.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:12 PM

OP youre clearly grieving for your friends husband.

Her behavior is painful to you.

I get that.

Maybe avoid her for a while, give yourself a chance to get over your loss before trying to celebrate her newly found love life.

It's a big ask even without that complicating factor of grief. Listening to other People's sex lives that is. And its not considered polite even.

Avoid her for a while. Give yourself a break, her too. You're both in different stages of grief but you will end up in the same place - be aware Unusual Behaviour may be a sign of grief.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I don't want to avoid her. Fortunately, (but it took 2 times) the hands slapped over my ears and a "lalala" chant got the point across without upsetting anyone. At one point, another woman said "Well I want to hear about it!". But once it got a bit graphic, she did the same hands over ears I did.

We're all still friends!

Old 11-04-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't want to avoid her. Fortunately, (but it took 2 times) the hands slapped over my ears and a "lalala" chant got the point across without upsetting anyone. At one point, another woman said "Well I want to hear about it!". But once it got a bit graphic, she did the same hands over ears I did.

We're all still friends!
Yeah lol. Sometimes the juvenile approach is the best amongst friends!

Rainbows and Butterflies became code for - Quit Now TMI, in my group. Just the words were enough eventually. But she had to do the chant a few times before everyone got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships