Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 09:30 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Have you not read his post? THE MOTHER DOESN'T WANT HIM TO LEAVE BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T WANT TO LIVE ALONE. That's why she is willing to do whatever it takes to keep him at home.
Always impressed by those who shout and write in caps.

The OP thinks Mom is trying to manipulate him into meeting her emotional needs. Meanwhile, he is manipulating her to his financial needs.

It's a match made in heaven.

If he doesn't want to be "manipulated" by her money, he can move out and pay for his own car, cell phone plan, health insurance, etc.. He has plenty of money.

I'm wondering why he sticks around to put up with this dreadful situation. At 24, he's been an adult for some time now.

It's amazing the OP is in law school and yet unable to solve this fairly simple problem. Law is all about solving problems.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 11-04-2015 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 10:45 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times
Hi OP i'll move in with your mom!

I'm a 50 y/o female with a career and car, just tired of living by myself, i'm talking to the cat too much lately

Old 11-04-2015, 12:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
If you're still in school, you're in a vulnerable position. Wait till you graduate and then bail.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:13 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Yes you read that right. Usually it's the opposite where the parent wants the child to leave. In my case my mom is threatening to cut me off if I leave.

Some background info: 24 yo male. I graduated from college last year and moved back in with mom after. At the time of me coming home, my mom was living with my sister after divorcing from my dad. Sister moved out so it's now just me and her. My mom doesn't want to be alone but I'm ready to move out as I am in law school now and need to be closer to campus. She threatens that if I move out, she'll cut my health insurance, cell phone, and take away my car.

I guess it's time to grow up but I really need my health insurance as I have some health issues. I have 5k saved up and get 10k each semester so theoretically I can afford living expenses but I'm scared about not having health insurance. Should I move on or should I sacrifice my youth to live at home?
Reading between the lines tells me that you finished college and found out that making a living was difficult and decided to move back home with mom. Dear mom has helped you financially with college, car, insurance and living expenses during your absence from home. She now also supply’s food and utility’s beside transportation, cell phone and insurance. She also knows if you should move out that before long she will need to help you financially. She knows you and is telling you to shut up or put on your big boy pants and move out.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:17 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
I skipped from page one to page five, so forgive me if this was mentioned before: Check with your college to see what health insurance choices you may have through them. Don't just assume that your mother's insurance is the only thing available. Also, does your dad have insurance that you can get on?

When you move out, make a standing date with your mother--like every Wednesday for lunch, or something like that. It might take the sting out of it. She needs to find interests and friends outside of her children, maybe your move will help convince her of that. Keep an eye out for clubs/groups centered around things she likes, such as book clubs, running groups, animal shelters, etc.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:22 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Reading between the lines tells me that you finished college and found out that making a living was difficult and decided to move back home with mom. Dear mom has helped you financially .. knows if you should move out that before long she will need to help you financially. She knows you and is telling you to shut up or put on your big boy pants and move out.
What it sounds like to me.

I'm still astounded that the OP receives grants to attend law school that cover tuition plus $20K/year for living expenses. That's a sweet deal. First time I've ever heard of that for law school.

Why he expects his mother to pay for his cell phone, car, health insurance.... at 24 is beyond me.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 11-04-2015 at 01:28 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 01:50 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
...but I'm a man and it just looks bad that someone of my age and my education level still lives at home with his mom.

Dude, you're only 24! I can see feeling this way if you're pushing 30, but there are plenty of kids, especially since you're still in law school, living with Mom. For the record I moved out when I was 25!

Old 11-04-2015, 03:19 PM

65 posts, read 56,426 times
Mean mean mommy! How dare she expect anything in return! Heaven forbid you support your mother while she transitions through a difficult time! Especially if it means you have to get up earlier and spend a little longer time driving! How dare she?

I mean, it's not like she was ever there for you when you needed her. You owe her nothing! Squeeze her for every drop while she's down and then move out! That's what a real man would do!

Old 11-04-2015, 03:41 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Just a thought: sometimes, you can get health insurance through your school at a reasonable cost. A group policy type of thing.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:25 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What it sounds like to me.

I'm still astounded that the OP receives grants to attend law school that cover tuition plus $20K/year for living expenses. That's a sweet deal. First time I've ever heard of that for law school.

Why he expects his mother to pay for his cell phone, car, health insurance.... at 24 is beyond me.
The school gave me a full ride and I had outside scholarships that are covering the living expenses. Living expenses are usually not covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2floridatoo View Post
Mean mean mommy! How dare she expect anything in return! Heaven forbid you support your mother while she transitions through a difficult time! Especially if it means you have to get up earlier and spend a little longer time driving! How dare she?

I mean, it's not like she was ever there for you when you needed her. You owe her nothing! Squeeze her for every drop while she's down and then move out! That's what a real man would do!
I see where you are going here and yes I feel bad which is why I'm still at home. It's time she move on though, it's been a couple of years since the divorce and I got to live my own life as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships