Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:15 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinforabrusin View Post
For some reason, I can't say I Love You to my parents, especially my dad. I just feel uncomfortable saying it. So Do you also have trouble saying I Love You to your parents to?
I have never had any problems telling my Mother I love her, even when I was a teenaged know it all pain in her backside who was mad at her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 08:45 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
For some reason, I had trouble with the "I Love You" too.

I did say it, though, to Mom, Dad, & Grandpa, shortly before they died. I will always know we went in peace.

I moved from home to Texas many years ago, just for a visit, and ended up making my life here. Life moves forward......My life in Texas has worked out well, but I always regretted I didn't stay home and make an equal life for myself there. I just thought to tell my mother that, just about a month before she died. I told her that although my life has gone forward and I'm quite happy here, and I've had nothing but good experiences here, I regret leaving. If I knew I was leaving forever, I never would have gone.

That brought tears to her eyes, and she said if she had known it would have meant forever, she would have never let me go. It was like a benediction for us both.

So, SAY IT! You never know when it will be your last chance.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:11 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinforabrusin View Post
For some reason, I can't say I Love You to my parents, especially my dad. I just feel uncomfortable saying it. So Do you also have trouble saying I Love You to your parents to?
Never have, the parents never had either.
How bizarre. I cannot imagine not saying it to my sons.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 5,368 times
I would say that I don't say it everyday to my parents but on occasion after an in-depth conversation. It's not a big deal I wouldn't worry about it. Just because you don't say I love you doesn't mean you dont' care.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:16 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithygreen11 View Post
I would say that I don't say it everyday to my parents but on occasion after an in-depth conversation. It's not a big deal I wouldn't worry about it. Just because you don't say I love you doesn't mean you dont' care.
Maybe, but I really do love my parents, I need to say it and hear it. I don't feel "right" if I don't tell them how much I love them every time we talk or see each other. I think they feel the same...hmmm...maybe that's where I get "it" from lol...

Old 11-05-2015, 11:31 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Throughout my life both parents said "I love you" to my siblings and I and we said it to them.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:48 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I was never able to say those words to my parents. I had plenty of affection from my parents but I was one of those children who did not like particularly like it. (I have NO clue why I was that way!) Fast-forward to my earlier relationships and it was awkward for me to say those words, too. I had to grow comfortable with it.

Interestingly enough, it was a whole lot different with my daughter.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:10 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
No, I've never had issues saying telling my parents that I love them - it was normal to me. My mother was very loving and affectionate, so that's how I was brought up.
I probably said it less to my father, but I never had issues saying it and since my mother passed away, he and I say it each time we talk.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:29 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
Yes, I could never say it out loud to my parents. I used to give my mom cards and gifts in lieu of saying it out loud.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:42 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
I have trouble with it but that may be because it's a little unfamiliar. Not to sound depressing, because my family all does love each other, but it's just not really a word we use often. I mean I would hear my parents say they loved each other but beyond that it was just never a phrase used all that often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships