Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:05 PM

351 posts, read 585,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My parents said it a lot so I had no trouble saying it. I do love them but we aren't in contact because of their mental health issues/abuse history.
Me too, minus the abuse and mental health issues. In fact my father takes it a step further and has told me on numerous occasions, "No one in this world cares as much for you or loves you more than your mother and I." Which is true, because so far I haven't found a spouse yet.

Last edited by Honolulu21; 11-06-2015 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 12:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,286,411 times
I say I love to my mother and sisters with ease. I have never said it to a SO though.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:26 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,322,103 times
After losing a daughter very suddenly, my maternal grandmother made it a practice to say "I love you" any time she spoke with her family. She's dead now, but my cousins and I still say it to each other whenever we meet up. My father's side of the family (his older sister, her husband and my paternal grandmother - his closest relatives), which is a very different type of family, nonetheless also adopted the practice - they were all greatly affected by my young aunt's death. I notice that my one cousin's large circle of close friends has also adopted the practice, both the men and the women - most of them have been friends since grade school.

Kind of cool to realize that my crazy, dysfunctional family has spread something really positive In any case, I really don't have a hard time saying I love you to my parents. I DO love them, even though they drive me nuts.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:48 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,755,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinforabrusin View Post
For some reason, I can't say I Love You to my parents, especially my dad. I just feel uncomfortable saying it. So Do you also have trouble saying I Love You to your parents to?
No, but my Mother never said it. Sad huh? Oh and my Father took his life when I was 4. So couldn't do it for him.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:41 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,771,914 times
I do.

My parents spent much of my childhood fighting one another and tossing my siblings and I aside.

I often felt ignored, abandoned, and as though I were some sort of convenience.

My mother tells me she loves me every day, but this has only been over the past maybe 3-5 years. But, it feels forced, in that she expects me to say it back to her daily. And I do love her...if anything happened to her, I don't know what I would do. But feeling pressured to say it every day, all the time, b/c she says it, in addition to feeling perhaps some underlying resentment from my childhood, makes me not want to say it at all.

My father is a different (eg read: worse ) story. He's been nearly nonexistent in my life since my parents divorced when I was a child.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,659,879 times
My mother was physically and verbally abusive to me as a child. Never told me she loved me. Dad was a drunk and physically abused her. My childhood was a complete disaster. Fast forward to my adult years, mom says she loves me, but it feels so phony to me. I say it back to her, but I honestly deep down in my heart do not love either of my parents. They were complete failures as parents. My brother and I suffered terribly as a result.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:35 PM

838 posts, read 1,350,264 times
Said it both to my parents. Even with my dad being really old schooled he had no problem telling me that he loved me. Now I will only use the word love when I mean it. There is only 3 people that I say I love you to. I despise people saying they love me knowing they really dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships