U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:34 AM
 
7,981 posts, read 11,663,426 times
Reputation: 10473

Advertisements

Any more of you out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2015, 11:49 AM
 
302 posts, read 1,507,747 times
Reputation: 712
Yes, I'm also over 50, never married, no kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Northern Illinois
2,187 posts, read 3,616,948 times
Reputation: 6351
That was me until a few years ago. I didn't have a problem with it then and I don't now. I was working full time and taking care of my Dad (he's gone now - lost him in 2007). I met my husband and married him in 2008 - and by that time I was 51 and way to old to have children. I think I would not have been ready for him any sooner - in fact I had been engaged 2x previously in my life. Never worked out. Best decision ever. I had a lot of friends and co-workers over the years in the same boat.

There is plenty to occupy your time and mind these days. No need to sit around and feel bad (not saying you do, of course) about it. We're only here one time - make the most of it!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 07:38 PM
 
6,475 posts, read 9,931,031 times
Reputation: 10919
Me, too! 56, never married because I don't want kids. But that's ok, many people my age I know are now divorced, so I just skipped the "middleman".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 08:29 PM
 
1,825 posts, read 2,481,117 times
Reputation: 4143
Just curious. Those of you in this category, are you in long term relationships? I'm not saying it's necessary, I am just wondering if you have simply eschewed the institution of marriage, or if you truly choose not to be yoked with another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 06:17 AM
 
7,981 posts, read 11,663,426 times
Reputation: 10473
Three of us so far. Didn't think there would be too many even though the news makes it sound like there are more people not marrying I think people in our age group usually did.

How are you guys doing? I'm 59, super independent but worrying more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,948 posts, read 5,305,279 times
Reputation: 17972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Three of us so far. Didn't think there would be too many even though the news makes it sound like there are more people not marrying I think people in our age group usually did.

How are you guys doing? I'm 59, super independent but worrying more.
I'm one and there is more than you think. What is there to worry about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 07:58 AM
 
7,981 posts, read 11,663,426 times
Reputation: 10473
Like anything there is no once size fits all. Just because we are older and never married I'm sure our circumstances are pretty varied. In addition to not having married or children I have very little family. So I start to worry about what would happen if I had a severe injury or health crises. Stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
4,434 posts, read 4,294,840 times
Reputation: 5220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
That was me until a few years ago. I didn't have a problem with it then and I don't now. I was working full time and taking care of my Dad (he's gone now - lost him in 2007). I met my husband and married him in 2008 - and by that time I was 51 and way to old to have children. I think I would not have been ready for him any sooner - in fact I had been engaged 2x previously in my life. Never worked out. Best decision ever. I had a lot of friends and co-workers over the years in the same boat.

There is plenty to occupy your time and mind these days. No need to sit around and feel bad (not saying you do, of course) about it. We're only here one time - make the most of it!!!!
Well, I've been married, but almost don't count it. Married the wrong woman, of course. Wasted the best years of my life with her (my 30's). Its a shame because I wanted kids. Now 47, it all seems very unlikely. I'm not happy being single. Completely unfulfilled and feeling like I missed my chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Like anything there is no once size fits all. Just because we are older and never married I'm sure our circumstances are pretty varied. In addition to not having married or children I have very little family. So I start to worry about what would happen if I had a severe injury or health crises. Stuff like that.
I worry about this too. I may need some major back surgery and I have nobody. I hate that. I'm relationship oriented too. Its not like I'm so set in my ways, happy being single, and don't want a woman or marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2015, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,234 posts, read 7,267,055 times
Reputation: 6700
Never married and no kids. However I have a single Mother sharing my home and she has a 14 month old little guy. He adds so much pleasure to my existence. I hope his Mommy can get her act together and find her soul mate soon but in the meantime I hope I can see him catch his first fish, learn how to shoot a bow & arrow, ride his first bike and take him on his first hunting trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top