Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2015, 06:31 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
You don't have to say anything instead. Hi, how are you, is pleasant and polite. That seems to be a point that is missed. For those of us not in areas where ma'am/sir are standard, you're not rude if you don't tack on a miss, ma'am or sir in conversation.
I agree! When I moved to Texas it was weird to hear people referring to each other as sir/ma'am and I could see older women kind of being shocked/disappointed that I was not greeting them with the ma'am title. It does nothing but remind me of slavery when I hear people address each other that way especially in the South. You're not my sir/ma'am nor do I need your approval.

Now Ms. Mrs./Mr. Miss is a little different and I can understand those titles signifying acknowledging an adult if you are a child or acknowledging someone in a professional setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 08:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I agree! When I moved to Texas it was weird to hear people referring to each other as sir/ma'am and I could see older women kind of being shocked/disappointed that I was not greeting them with the ma'am title. It does nothing but remind me of slavery when I hear people address each other that way especially in the South. You're not my sir/ma'am nor do I need your approval.

Now Ms. Mrs./Mr. Miss is a little different and I can understand those titles signifying acknowledging an adult if you are a child or acknowledging someone in a professional setting.
What???

Unless you were calling them something disrespectful instead of "M'am," I think you were imagining this.

I never notice when someone doesn't call me M'am - but I notice (positively) when they do. I have lived in east Texas for nearly 30 years and I have honestly never once heard a woman of any age or race say anything akin to "He should have called me M'am."

Old 12-25-2015, 08:31 PM

807 posts, read 1,353,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
That's not polite. We use it to show respect, not to intentionally offend people.
I use it to show respect but if you are that easily offended and make it a point to be offended, I don't respect you.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:33 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
It does nothing but remind me of slavery when I hear people address each other that way especially in the South. You're not my sir/ma'am nor do I need your approval.
Oh my, I say sir and ma'am to black people all the time, I say it to everybody.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What???

Unless you were calling them something disrespectful instead of "M'am," I think you were imagining this.

I never notice when someone doesn't call me M'am - but I notice (positively) when they do. I have lived in east Texas for nearly 30 years and I have honestly never once heard a woman of any age or race say anything akin to "He should have called me M'am."
Okay point being you do notice, so why would it be far fetched for someone to notice that I didn't acknowledge them that way? It's very annoying when people assume someone can't experience something just because it doesn't apply to them. Like I stated, I can see the disappointment in SOME when I do not acknowledge in that way especially when others around me are and I still stand firm and not engage. It's not my thing and I'm not going to start doing it just because I now reside in Texas.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:48 PM

807 posts, read 1,353,778 times
Quote:

This is the dumbest post on this thread. Let's make sure to somehow reference ma'am back to slavery and be offended as much as possible.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
This is the dumbest post on this thread. Let's make sure to somehow reference ma'am back to slavery and be offended as much as possible.
lol why would you be offended? You have your reasons for using the term and I have my reasons for not choosing to do so. Your post is actually the dumbest in the thread because you obviously can't decipher between someone's choice verses someone trying to change yours.

I'm not trying to convince you to do anything because I don't care if you use the term or not and if you're secure in your stance then why I choose not to use the term shouldn't offend or even matter to you.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:44 AM

259 posts, read 522,707 times
I admit, that I dislike being called ma'am and have told people who called me that. Of course I don't tell them in a rude manner, I just jokingly say "hey, I'm not that old to be called ma'am yet!" I do admit, it is ALL my own insecurity of getting older (I'm 31) as I had only started being called it once I reached my late-20's. Like someone else mentioned, I do prefer "Miss" instead and that's what I say to other women when getting a stranger's attention. When I hit 40, I don't think I'll have as much of a problem with "ma'am", but I definitely do now. It's no one else's problem but mine though.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Okay point being you do notice, so why would it be far fetched for someone to notice that I didn't acknowledge them that way? It's very annoying when people assume someone can't experience something just because it doesn't apply to them. Like I stated, I can see the disappointment in SOME when I do not acknowledge in that way especially when others around me are and I still stand firm and not engage. It's not my thing and I'm not going to start doing it just because I now reside in Texas.
Don't worry - people don't EXPECT it - it's just nice when it happens.

You're clearly very sensitive about this, so I don't think it's farfetched to consider the strong possibility that you're over analyzing your interactions with others here in Texas. The vast majority of people don't think one way or the other about how you're addressing them, unless you're being intentionally rude or curt.

The very idea that "m'am" or "sir" is a nod to slavery is pretty farfetched though. Little white kids all over the South have been using these terms to address their elders for centuries. White men and women in the military use it to address just about anyone. Many white adults in the civilian world use it to address strangers and customers of any size, shape, age, or color.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't worry - people don't EXPECT it - it's just nice when it happens.

You're clearly very sensitive about this, so I don't think it's farfetched to consider the strong possibility that you're over analyzing your interactions with others here in Texas. The vast majority of people don't think one way or the other about how you're addressing them, unless you're being intentionally rude or curt.

The very idea that "m'am" or "sir" is a nod to slavery is pretty farfetched though. Little white kids all over the South have been using these terms to address their elders for centuries. White men and women in the military use it to address just about anyone. Many white adults in the civilian world use it to address strangers and customers of any size, shape, age, or color.
That may be true for YOU, but clearly, some people DO expect it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Maybe not, but mam is not offensive to us and we don't use it to be offensive. When you visit a different section of the country or a different country all together you should accept the differences there graciously. I expect kids to say mam to me, and when they don't I wonder what their parents taught them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Of course not. When I visit other places, I am accepting of others differences. The incident I mentioned happened in South Georgia where mam is expected to be used when speaking to a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
View detailed profiles of: