Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 11:37 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
People have been calling me ma'am since I was at least in my early 20's, and I looked about 16 then (AND lived in California). And it's often YOUNG people who use that term - I have never heard a kid refer to a woman as 'Miss'.

People are just high-strung.
You must live in a different part of California then I am. Either that or I have suffered amnesia. Only the military uses man and sir, and they use it to your face. What's wrong with just calling name.
I guess I'm high- strung.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 01:49 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You must live in a different part of California then I am. Either that or I have suffered amnesia. Only the military uses man and sir, and they use it to your face. What's wrong with just calling name.
I guess I'm high- strung.
I haven't lived there in a long time, and back then I think people tried harder to be cordial.

However, people grab "ma'am" when they don't know the person's name.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I haven't lived there in a long time, and back then I think people tried harder to be cordial.

However, people grab "ma'am" when they don't know the person's name.
I can understand when they don't know the person's name. But I've been in situation when two guys were talking to each other and they called each other sir to their face. I've been called ma'am to my face and in email. When I complained about being called ma'am, I was told it's a polite thing, as if it's impolite to call by name, it baffled me, who made up these rules. If I had worked for Steve Jobs, I would refer to him as simply Steve and not Mr. Job.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:48 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Mam-ma is in reference to the female breast.
So in essence calling some one ma-am is the implication they refer to a female, any age.
I believe it to be a most honorable distinction ,when addressing a female respectfully ,especially if you are not on a first name basis. even if you know their name.
If mom was giving direction in the home , the reply is yes mam .
The wife has a list of hone doo's she hands you , you say yes mam .

Old 11-14-2015, 11:20 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
People may not use "ma'am" routinely in CA but CA is not the center of the universe, either. I never heard "ma'am" very much in over half-a-century of California living, but it has never offended me; and in today's world, a little respect and manners are appreciated, at least by me.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
People may not use "ma'am" routinely in CA but CA is not the center of the universe, either. I never heard "ma'am" very much in over half-a-century of California living, but it has never offended me; and in today's world, a little respect and manners are appreciated, at least by me.
This is thread is under California. I'm sure it's common in other place.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:21 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Ma'am is short for Madam. It is a respectful title to use for a woman.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:48 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Growing up we had new neighbors move in... they were a military family and originally from Georgia...

The neighbors/neighborhood was all very low key and it was common for the kids to call adults by their first name... afterall, this is what the grown ups did...

The new neighbors were Dan and Marie...

I guess I was about 8 or 9 and noticed "Marie" had left her car lights on... being the good kid I called out to her and she didn't respond... I then said Marie and she stopped to hear me say her car lights were on.

That evening "Marie" told me it is never property to address one's elders by first name... I could say Ma'am or Mrs.... she went on to say they had never lived anywhere where it was OK for children to address adults by their first name...

A few weeks later I addressed one of our neighbors by Ma'am for the first time... she was offended and thought I was being smart...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-15-2015 at 11:58 AM..

Old 11-15-2015, 04:44 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
My suggestion is to use Ma'am and if the person addressed is offended simply ask how they would like to be addressed. Mizz (MS) is also an option but not common.

Old 11-15-2015, 04:50 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy7 View Post
So the other day I ran into someone who'd newly arrived in California who was ranting about an occasion when he used the Ma'am word and was brusquely told off by a middle-aged woman. That reminded me, as someone who moved to Cali after 5+ years in the south, I had this nurse look daggers at me at the paediatrician's office when I addressed her using the dreaded M-word.

Now I understand from Google searches that it's considered an affront to a woman's age. Yeah, while I'm getting my toddler's shots done, the age of a random stranger is surely the uppermost concern on my mind

It's understandable that every place has its peculiar mores, but with a history of working in customer support in the southern states, it would be near-impossible for me to drop my Sirs and Maams. Heck, there was a colleague at work who addressed teenaged girls as Ma'am
It's not a Bay Area or CA-specific thing. This could go into the Non-Romantic Relationships or the Psychology forum. In fact, there has been a thread on this exact topic (the M-word) in one of those forums before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
View detailed profiles of: