Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:21 PM

749 posts, read 855,543 times

Advertisements

I found that, strangely, rich people and ghetto people can be equally highly demanding sharing the tendency to belittle others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 01:30 PM

951 posts, read 1,139,924 times
No. I've worked in retail within middle class areas as well as an area where we got robbed daily, and I experienced some of the worst customers ever. I also have worked in the wealth management industry where I interacted with millionaires daily. From my experience, the rich people were better mannered and less ignorant. I did experience a few rich clients that were bad, but there were very few of them (less than 5 that I can remember), but they were just mean to everyone. At the retail level, though, I faced them everyday. They were rude to me when I tried to serve them and looked down on me because I was working retail. Well, you know what, I was going to college full time and working full time to better myself.

I'm not sure how different it would've been if I was working retail in a rich area, servicing rich customers though. From what I've seen, the richer they are, the more educated they are as well, so they are less ignorant and they are also happier as well. Too happy to belittle the little people.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:40 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm at a restaurant in Naples, FL and another customer placed a food order awhile back. The guy consistently badgered various waiters about the status of the food, then just got up and left. He was treating these servers poorly for a meal that wasn't even late. This is a wealthy city dominated by retirees, so I bet he was a wealthy grouch.

Do you find that rich people routinely treat others worse?
Many of them have no idea what is like to work making minimum wage and don't understand that most people making minimum wage are busting their .... for their money.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:47 PM

168 posts, read 135,075 times
Quote:
I'm at a restaurant in Naples, FL and another customer placed a food order awhile back. The guy consistently badgered various waiters about the status of the food, then just got up and left. He was treating these servers poorly for a meal that wasn't even late. This is a wealthy city dominated by retirees, so I bet he was a wealthy grouch.

So you:

1. Know nothing about the man;
2. Made something up about him; and
3. Are now trying to start a class war.

What is next for Serious Conversation?

Old 11-16-2015, 05:13 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I do think the more money a person has, the more it brings out that a***ole attitude.

I think it was David Allen Coe who had a song many years ago where one of the lines was "you were born an a***ole and you'll be one all your life."
Yup!
Here is Exhibit A:

Old 11-16-2015, 05:19 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I agree it's mostly inborn as to whether a person is a jerk who belittles people they see as "beneath" them, which has little to do with their economic status.

If I had to pick an income strata that tends to belittle others though, my vote would go out to insecure middle to middle-upper income people, but only the pissy ones who are loaded down with debt and trying to flaunt status and make themselves appear wealthier than they are to keep up with the Joneses.

Last edited by Jowel; 11-16-2015 at 06:15 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 05:44 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Some of the most humblest/decent people I've known have lots of money. Some of the mouthiest/rudest/classless people I've met make very little money. And in between. And in reverse. I don't think you'll find much correlation there but it would be an interesting study as long as it's done properly. My guess is there would be little to no correlation between personality and money. But a study comparing the personality of parents and their kids based on how they were brought up? Now there's some significant correlation for you!

Old 11-16-2015, 07:07 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:

No.
But A-holes do!

I think there is something to your theory - but only a little. Naples, for instance, may be wealthy and "exclusive" in a certain way.

Here in New England the wealthy have a Yankee Mentality and aren't as likely to have fancy cars, very large houses and bad attitudes. In fact, they are likely to sport a beard and be walking down the street in a work shirt after leaving their volunteer gig at the Food Bank.

I think there are pockets of people - a combination of ethnicity, geography, parenting, religion, DNA, etc. and wealth or wannabe wealth....who treat others as beneath them. Not to get into this particular discussion, but remember that many countries and cultures (India, for example) the caste system is very very real and there is not the American creed of "everyone is born equal". They - and many other cultures - believe that being born or becoming rich is destiny and they ARE better than others.

I'm not knocking it - just stating that many people have many influences. Millionaires in the Bay Area are going to act differently from those in NYC and Naples, etc.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:04 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times
No, not at all. Being mean or belittling people crosses all lines of money and social status.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:

OP, do you have a good day every day? I guess so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships