Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP....I would suggest that you don't take a back seat....That you're feeling like you have to do that is part of your resentment towards your MIl.

Just be yourself...that is the only way you should behave around anyone. You owe it to your husband and children to not change to avoid conflict. If she is going to be snippy anyway, what's the point of not simply being you. It sets a precedent for your children...and possibly your husband, when you behave so differently....And, it seems very passive aggressive imo.

Agree, very passive aggressive.

It's more important to show children that you don't let anyone walk all over you, this can be done without getting nasty but by putting grandma in her place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 07:35 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Maybe because she always makes little statements and jabs about me and my parenting choices. As I said, if there was some kind of event we hosted, then fine, but it was just us sitting

Geez, people here are so weird. They always make the poster the enemy, without question. I am always polite and agreeable with them and that is what I would've said to them no matter the meaning behind the card. I never allow her to know her insults affect me. Thank you.
People just love to attack anyone who posts anything. Vultures!

I do agree that it kind of throws you off your game a bit when you get a "Thank you" card unexpectedly. I know I have a strained relationship with my daughter in law and I would really like to improve it. Maybe its the same case with your MIL.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:53 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
The note sounds a lot like plain old fashioned good manners. Something we see very little of now days.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:13 AM

96 posts, read 87,978 times
Maybe she enjoyed the visit a lot and felt especially close to you during that time, and when thinking about it after they got home she felt the emotion again and the note was just her way of sharing closenes with you. That's how I would feel about it if it had been me that received such a nice note. Be sure to respond!

It's also possible that while telling friends what a nice visit they had a friend might have suggested that she send you a thank you note. Or she might have seen an article online about sending a thank you note after a visit so she felt like she wanted to do that. Lots of possibilities.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Thumbs down geez...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
My in-laws were in town visiting a couple weeks ago. We live far away, she won't fly and he still works, so we don't see them often, but the door is always open for them to visit. We didn't do much while they were here, just hung around the house, which they prefer. Anyway, I checked the mail today and there was a thank you card from them that basically said "thanks for letting us visit." I find this to be quite odd. Who sends a thank you note after a visit with family? They never have before. I feel like there is some underlying message with this like they are implying I "let" or "allowed" them to visit. Anyone else think this is weird?
They were just being polite...maybe it's something you and your husband should learn to appreciate. Not many people recognize civility anymore.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships