Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 04:37 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
We are validating the OP's post. The OP feels 68 is too cold, and we all agree with the OP. 68 IS too cold, according to those of us who agree with him.

Iggier, what was YOUR suggestion for the OP?

OP, have you told the roommate you want to split the power bill yet That would be the best thing to do.
However....if the temp is set at 68, but it only gets down to 72...is that really "too cold"? What if the thermostats isn't working properly and it's off by a few degrees?

The temp is subjective. Working on the problem is really the only help we have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 05:17 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
But 68 degrees with AC blowing inside is downright cold to me. I can barely even sit in my apt without feeling cold. I can't enjoy a meal without being cold. 68 degrees while not really a cold temperature is cold when
Advice?
Suggestions?

I have no advice - just my sympathies. At 75 degrees I'm just barely getting comfortable. In fact, during the summer I don't even want AC on until it hits about 100. I couldn't live peacefully with someone who's the opposite. Just couldn't.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:52 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Read the rest of the topic - 68 is unrealistic is such hot/humid climate, and it runs up a high electric bill that the roommate doesn't pay for. How ridiculous is it to bundle up inside while it's 90+ outside, and then have to pay for it to be so cold?
I was answering the OP, so there you go.

I'm not saying the OP should pay half the bill. If the other roommate needs it colder to sleep, then he should be able to sleep in a normal setting. Night workers always get screwed on these topics because the world only cares about daytime people.

It sounds like they have central air. Now another option could be to keep the regular AC at a higher setting to satisfy the OP and the roommate could procure a portable unit to place in their room to keep the temp at a comfortable sleep setting, as your earlier post stated.

I HAVE to sleep in cold. Anything over 60 degrees for me and I'm burning up even wearing the thinnest of gowns. Some of us are hot sleepers. It's even harder to be a hot sleeper working nights while living in a hot climate. You're forced to sleep through the hottest parts of the day I remember it well back in my early 20s while still living in Southern California.

I can't IMAGINE having to BUNDLE UP at 60 degrees...AC or not. However, getting warmer through adding long sleeves and whatnot is infinitely easier than cooling off. If you're hot, shorts and tank tops won't do crap and nobody accepts running around in our birthday suits.

The roommate has my vote. The OP should pay 1/3 of the bill perhaps?

Old 11-22-2015, 07:16 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
I agree with swapping utilities. Tell him unless you can reach a compromise about the a/c, he needs to take over the electric bill.

When I lived in NC we kept the thermostat set to 70 in the winter, 74 in the summer.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:40 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
I just wouldn't want to live with someone who isn't open to compromise of some kind. MY WAY or the highway doesn't fly with me, so "the highway" it would be.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:36 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

Suggestions?

Stop messing with it and put on a jacket. Jeez. It's a lot easier for you to get warm than for him to get cool.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:09 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Stop messing with it and put on a jacket. Jeez. It's a lot easier for you to get warm than for him to get cool.

To me, this is besides the point.

I truly think that if the OP's roommate had to pay for the electricity, he wouldn't have it down so low.

I would switch up the bills and let him deal with it.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:12 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

I truly think that if the OP's roommate had to pay for the electricity, he wouldn't have it down so low.

I'm hot-natured too, so I can feel the roommate's pain. I have no problem paying extra for the electricity for me to be comfortable. It's not easy to sleep when you're sweating and miserable.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:08 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
So much fuss over nothing. Close some of the vents in the rest of the house so that the majority of cold air is directed into his room.

Or, even better, if the landlord will allow it, have him get either a window air-conditioner or one of those inside the room air-conditioners that vents outside with a small tube. Set the house at 72 and let him run the individual unit in his room to keep his room cooler.

My sympathy is with your roommate. If you are chilly, put on a sweater. If it is too warm, there is nothing that can be done about it but suffer.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:14 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm hot-natured too, so I can feel the roommate's pain. I have no problem paying extra for the electricity for me to be comfortable. It's not easy to sleep when you're sweating and miserable.
Fine, but that makes you the one with the special needs, right? One should not have to put on jackets and sweaters to stay warm in Miami in the summer. That's simply not reasonable. The roommate in question has shown no interest in compromising or finding viable solutions. Maybe he shouldn't be living in Miami?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships