Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 08:50 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I talk properly because that's the way I was raised. There's a phonetic way to say every word.

I hate seeing and hearing my people talk improperly because it sounds like they have a speech impediment. What is even worse is when they mumble. I'm constantly saying, "Could you please repeat that?" or "Could you please enunciate?".
I like people to speak properly for several reasons - for one, when they use the netspeak like "u" for "you" and other such things, and sometimes they use so much, i have to read the paragraph twice to know what they mean. Or, they were not taught how to say "I bake a cake two days ago" (should be "baked"). Then i have to figure out that they meant they already did it. It can be confusing because it makes it seem like they are going to do it in the future.

The other thing is you should learn proper English and if you use slang, only use it in private. An employer is not going to think you are cool or cute when you use slang in the job interview. It does not look professional.

So let the haters be damned. It is your life. Are you going to let some idiot dictate your life? Let them be stupid and get a low class job, meanwhile, you are working in the nice office making $80,000 a year.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:31 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I like people to speak properly for several reasons - for one, when they use the netspeak like "u" for "you" and other such things, and sometimes they use so much, i have to read the paragraph twice to know what they mean. Or, they were not taught how to say "I bake a cake two days ago" (should be "baked"). Then i have to figure out that they meant they already did it. It can be confusing because it makes it seem like they are going to do it in the future.

The other thing is you should learn proper English and if you use slang, only use it in private. An employer is not going to think you are cool or cute when you use slang in the job interview. It does not look professional.

So let the haters be damned. It is your life. Are you going to let some idiot dictate your life? Let them be stupid and get a low class job, meanwhile, you are working in the nice office making $80,000 a year.
I speak proper English because that is how I was raised. It is easy for people to understand what I'm saying. It helped me get a job.

I was never the "cool kid". I was that kid who read books. I was considered "the weirdo" by so many kids. Socially, I was on the fringes in many ways in my middle school/high school years. The people I related to the most spoke proper English.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:05 PM

439 posts, read 516,989 times
it's "speak properly" fyi... the -ly is added to "proper" since it is an adverb.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:19 PM

135 posts, read 169,909 times
A famous woman once said, "Luxury is the absence of vulgarity."

My take on this is, "Class is the absence of slang."

Old 12-12-2015, 09:57 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
it's "speak properly" fyi... the -ly is added to "proper" since it is an adverb.
How does "properly English " sound?

Old 12-12-2015, 10:18 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How does "properly English " sound?
Why, like the Queen, of course, whose accent and every action is "properly English."

Old 12-15-2015, 07:43 PM

10 posts, read 7,289 times
People who try to desperately put you in a box.... are insecure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-29-2016, 08:08 PM

208 posts, read 170,405 times
Wanted to bump this post as it is interesting to me. My hubby always spoke "proper" english, the funny thing is that the first time I spoke to him on the phone (we met online, and first chatted via text), I thought he was a white man in his 40s! But meeting him face to face, I was surprised to see a young, dashing 30 year old man! I mentioned to him how the way he spoke mislead me to thinking he wasn't black, since he didn't sound more..."urban". He is from a british colonized country, so he always spoke slang free, proper english (no trying to offend!) He shared with me how he would be "rejected" sometimes by african american guys, who said he spoke like he was "white"...so silly!

Old 02-29-2016, 08:13 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candh07 View Post
Wanted to bump this post as it is interesting to me. My hubby always spoke "proper" english, the funny thing is that the first time I spoke to him on the phone (we met online, and first chatted via text), I thought he was a white man in his 40s! But meeting him face to face, I was surprised to see a young, dashing 30 year old man! I mentioned to him how the way he spoke mislead me to thinking he wasn't black, since he didn't sound more..."urban". He is from a british colonized country, so he always spoke slang free, proper english (no trying to offend!) He shared with me how he would be "rejected" sometimes by african american guys, who said he spoke like he was "white"...so silly!
My then-future mother-in-law first heard me over the phone and thought I was white. Actually, I do have a bit of south-western drawl--I know I don't always pronounce a distinctly different "pen" from "pin," for instance, and I say "greazy."

Old 02-29-2016, 08:54 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candh07 View Post
You sound very ignorant.

Oh WOW.... not slang free, proper English! No way is he Black!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships