Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 09:46 AM

583 posts, read 712,429 times

Advertisements

Can someone describe what "ghetto" means please? Like, what it means to "talk ghetto" what is classified as "living in the ghetto", etc.?

Old 04-01-2016, 10:36 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Can someone describe what "ghetto" means please? Like, what it means to "talk ghetto" what is classified as "living in the ghetto", etc.?
"Ghetto" in this instance most likely refers to a poverty stricken neighborhood in the US comprised of mostly blacks. Are there none in your city?

Old 04-01-2016, 10:56 AM

583 posts, read 712,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
"Ghetto" in this instance most likely refers to a poverty stricken neighborhood in the US comprised of mostly blacks. Are there none in your city?
What does it mean to "talk ghetto"?

Old 04-01-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
What does it mean to "talk ghetto"?
It means that you sound like a poor, uneducated black person.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:39 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
There are plenty of cities that don't have "ghettos" per se. My last city, for instance, did have a "poorer side of town," and, yes, there was a predominance of black people there, but it was yet quite diverse...that's where the less affluent whites lived, too. People on that side of town simply made less on their jobs than on the other side.

The city called in a big-city police consultant once to help them with the "crime" in that part of town. The consultant chided the officers for--given the limited population and light crime compared to larger areas--not actually knowing everyone in the neighborhood personally.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
It means that you sound like a poor, uneducated black person.

It's actually more specialized than that. It's not just "poor, uneducated," it's a specialized slang vocabulary and language pattern. I'm not saying that as though it's a good thing, only that it's not a result of simply being poor and uneducated...it takes effort to learn to speak that way.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:55 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's actually more specialized than that. It's not just "poor, uneducated," it's a specialized slang vocabulary and language pattern. I'm not saying that as though it's a good thing, only that it's not a result of simply being poor and uneducated...it takes effort to learn to speak that way.
I would even add on that you have to add additional signifiers as well, you need to combine particular clothing and hair in addition to the accent, word and sentence structure. In terms of being perceived as "ghetto."

Old 04-01-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't believe it takes effort. If the majority of the people who you grow up around speak that way and you attend subpar schools in poor neighborhoods, you probably won't be very articulate.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I don't believe it takes effort. If the majority of the people who you grow up around speak that way and you attend subpar schools in poor neighborhoods, you probably won't be very articulate.
It takes effort to learn that particular speech pattern. It's not just a matter of being uneducated or inarticulate. To that extent, it's like specialized slang and speech patterns of the trendy/popular kids anywhere else--there are "nerds" in those schools who don't bother picking up the trends just as there are anywhere else.

Right now, btw, it's called "being ratchet" (degradation of "wretched")..."ghetto" is passé.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:51 PM

687 posts, read 616,243 times
I grew up in some poor neighborhoods as a white person, and I was teased for using "big words" and talking "smart" or "weird". This sort of clannish behavior from humans is appalling. No one is allowed to be different without consequences.

I never thought the stereotype of speech patterns from black people sounded unintelligent, and same with people from the South. It is worthwhile to note that some characteristics of African American vernacular, like saying "hisself" or "theirselves" is grammatically more consistent than the standard American English. "Himself" and "themselves" do not follow grammatical rules for the reflexive pronouns but are modified to use the object - him and them - instead of the possessive - his and their, even though the possessive is used in all other reflexive pronouns (myself, yourself, ourselves). Proper is a relative term often used as an arbitrary divider between socio-economic classes. To think there is a "right way" to talk is spurious.

There should be more open discussion about the prejudices against speech. I knew a girl who moved from Wyoming and purposefully dropped her accent because she was afraid of being ridiculed and thought of as less intelligent.

Screw people that ridicule others based on form over content. It sucks to need to worry about how closed-minded others are to get along in this world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships