Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 06:47 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
And you still haven't provided proof that she isn't biracial, so you are making assumptions also.
We're all "mutigenerational biracial."

I find it telling, however, that you made--and cling to-- the automatic presumption that she must be biracial simply because a biracial man chose her.

Behind that automatic presumption lies a secret belief that nobody but a totally black man would want a black woman. That's a brain in bondage.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:07 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We're all "mutigenerational biracial."

I find it telling, however, that you made--and cling to-- the automatic presumption that she must be biracial simply because a biracial man chose her.

Behind that automatic presumption lies a secret belief that nobody but a totally black man would want a black woman. That's a brain in bondage.
Now you're making even more assumptions! You said that her looks don't suggest to you that she doesn't have two black parents. That's fine, but the truth is, you don't know for sure. If you didn't know that Lenny Kravitz is biracial, would you have said the same thing about him? There is no standard biracial look, so your assumption that she's black based on her looks is no more accurate than my assumption that she MIGHT be biracial. I never said she definitely was because I don't know. It just wouldn't surprise me if she were.

And the bolded is completely inaccurate since the majority of men that I date are not black, and I am neither biracial nor light skinned.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:40 AM

854 posts, read 585,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Now you're making even more assumptions! You said that her looks don't suggest to you that she doesn't have two black parents. That's fine, but the truth is, you don't know for sure. If you didn't know that Lenny Kravitz is biracial, would you have said the same thing about him? There is no standard biracial look, so your assumption that she's black based on her looks is no more accurate than my assumption that she MIGHT be biracial. I never said she definitely was because I don't know. It just wouldn't surprise me if she were.

And the bolded is completely inaccurate since the majority of men that I date are not black, and I am neither biracial nor light skinned.

Yeah, he definitely pulled that out of his @ss. A majority of people mate assortatively, so you making the assumption that Jesse's biracial-looking wife is, in fact, biracial like himself, is just a statement of common sense, it says nothing demeaning about women who are dark-skinned or fully black.

Anyway, my favourite biracial couple from the UK:

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...Marvin%20Humes

Old 04-07-2016, 08:34 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontocheeka View Post
It's not just you. Look at her curl pattern. She's definitely biracial.
Her curl pattern? My best friend is black with that same curl pattern... There are black women that have that curl pattern. My stylist, who is black as well, had that curl pattern too, but now wears her hair straight. A friend I met, who i thought was biracial because she is as light as Ayesha curry, has wavy silky hair, is black too...

Generally I can tell when I think someone is biracial but I've been proven wrong. I've been asked if I'm biracial and I'm not(and I don't believe I look it either).

My son's nanny is a white woman married to an African man and her two daughters have hair coarser than my sons! Lol. Just saying.

Until someone tells you, or you see them with a nonblack person, it's hard to be for sure.
---
In any case there doesn't seem to be information about what race his wife is. But Jessie does seem to be conscious: Jesse Williams: 'Celebrity culture? I am not going to participate in that' | Culture | The Guardian

Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,134 times
I guess I kinda fit this category. Some of my friends say i sound white over the phone, mostly because of my vernacular. For the most part, I use proper language BUT I do have my ghetto side to me as well. But people do turn their heads sideways when I do speak proper english....

Old 04-07-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Her curl pattern? My best friend is black with that same curl pattern... There are black women that have that curl pattern. My stylist, who is black as well, had that curl pattern too, but now wears her hair straight. A friend I met, who i thought was biracial because she is as light as Ayesha curry, has wavy silky hair, is black too...

Generally I can tell when I think someone is biracial but I've been proven wrong. I've been asked if I'm biracial and I'm not(and I don't believe I look it either).

My son's nanny is a white woman married to an African man and her two daughters have hair coarser than my sons! Lol. Just saying.

Until someone tells you, or you see them with a nonblack person, it's hard to be for sure.
---
In any case there doesn't seem to be information about what race his wife is. But Jessie does seem to be conscious: Jesse Williams: 'Celebrity culture? I am not going to participate in that' | Culture | The Guardian

I've also been asked if I'm biracial, and I'm not. Further complicating things is that my dad (stepdad) is white. I think people should be able to tell the difference because of my obviously-relaxed hair and wider nostrils. It's the combination she has of ambiguous features (lighter skin, looser curl pattern, skull shape, AND thinner lips than the majority of black women) that gives her away, it's not any one feature on its own.

My entire family is mixed-race ranging from multigenerational mixed (so, black, in other words, with various hair textures and shades) to the biracial offspring of Creoles and whites, so I know how it can run the gamut. It is the combination that makes me fairly certain but I do have one cousin with light skin and a similar hair texture that is simply Creole and not biracial; however, that is not the norm, even within my family.

I have two cousins in particular who are sisters and one has white skin and white features with kinky hair; the other has Asiatic eyes, a mixed-looking nose (moreso white but not as long as most Caucasian noses), straight hair, and blue eyes. I also have a second cousin that is darker than me with straighter hair. That's the nature of multiracial families. But there is almost always a giveaway imo that someone is or isn't biracial specifically. Ymmv.

Anyway I don't think someone is racist for simply pointing out that Jesse's wife is most likely biracial, which is what some people here are accusing Sweet Like Sugar of. That's just silly.

Last edited by torontocheeka; 04-07-2016 at 09:10 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I've also been asked if I'm biracial, and I'm not. Further complicating things is that my dad (stepdad) is white. I think people should be able to tell the difference because of my obviously-relaxed hair and wider nostrils. It's the combination she has of ambiguous features (lighter skin, looser curl pattern, skull shape, AND thinner lips than the majority of black women) that gives her away, it's not any one feature on its own.

My entire family is mixed-race ranging from multigenerational mixed (so, black, in other words, with various hair textures and shades) to the biracial offspring of Creoles and whites, so I know how it can run the gamut. It is the combination that makes me fairly certain but I do have one cousin with light skin and a similar hair texture that is simply Creole and not biracial; however, that is not the norm, even within my family.

I have two cousins in particular who are sisters and one has white skin and white features with kinky hair; the other has Asiatic eyes, a mixed-looking nose (moreso white but not as long as most Caucasian noses), straight hair, and blue eyes. I also have a second cousin that is darker than me with straighter hair. That's the nature of multiracial families. But there is almost always a giveaway imo that someone is or isn't biracial specifically. Ymmv.

Anyway I don't think someone is racist for simply pointing out that Jesse's wife is most likely biracial, which is what some people here are accusing Sweet Like Sugar of. That's just silly.
At the bolded. Again, black people are diverse. I mean if your basing the bolded on proof that she is biracial than that would make me biracial too and I'm not. I have light skin, my lips are very thin(growing up I was told I had white people lips, I have eyes shaped in a way that people have associated with me being part "asian", I also have high cheekbones, I don't have wide nostrils or a nose that anyone would associate as being a "black" feature and I have no idea what my real curl pattern is these days since when I do wear my hair out I press it and flat iron it and it's been heat trained(I don't f*** with relaxers they are horrible) so my curl pattern is much looser these days(3C) than what it probably would be If I just wore it out and curly. I don't know what you mean by skull shape, but.... Okay. Based on my "combination" of features I suppose this gives me away too? Come on girl, just stop... If you think she looks biracial that's fine, but the way your presenting your proof is killing me...

Yes, a lot of us can tell for the most part when someone MAY be biracial(I've been wrong before). Jessie Williams I can tell is biracial, though I do have black aunts that look similar to him but for the most part it's obvious he is and he has said he is biracial. This isn't the case with every person. I have plenty of biracial cousins and family members, as many blacks probably do--that range in complexion, features, hair, etc. Not all of them have a certain combination of "ambiguous features" either. Just like with blacks, for biracials there is not a "set" look. I've seen some with caramel complexions, loose kinky curly hair, and eurocentric features, to some that are darker in complexion and look like obama, or those that look like they are latin when they are in fact black/white, I can go on and on, but unfortunately while there are many cases where it may look obvious that someone is biracial, there are also cases where you don't know for sure. Perhaps his wife is one of those cases, since some of us think she is and others think she isn't.

Since she has not said what her race is herself, and he hasn't either, we are all merely playing the guessing ame.

I frankly don't particularly care either way. If she is, then she is, if she's not so be it. I don't hold biracial women on a pedestal, because frankly I don't think every biracial person is attractive, or that being biracial makes them anymore special than anyone else. Others often speak about it as if it means something special, but to me, it's a part of their identity, what makes them unique--the same way it is for anyone of any ethnicity.

I never took Sweet Sugar saying that Jessie William's wife was biracial as being "racist"- I don't even see how that connection can be made LOL!!!! I actually didn't read much into her comment meaning anything about her feelings about blackness, I just thought that because I was told that Jessie's wife was black by other people that the wife was black. So I said "she's black" lol.

Then when I looked at her picture,I thought she looked black as well, but h*** she could be biracial. We don't know.

Last edited by Faith2187; 04-07-2016 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
At the bolded. Again, black people are diverse. I mean if your basing the bolded on proof that she is biracial than that would make me biracial too and I'm not. I have light skin, my lips are very thin(growing up I was told I had white people lips, I have eyes shaped in a way that people have associated with me being part "asian", I also have high cheekbones, I don't have wide nostrils or a nose that anyone would associate as being a "black" feature and I have no idea what my real curl pattern is these days since when I do wear my hair out I press it and flat iron it and it's been heat trained(I don't f*** with relaxers they are horrible) so my curl pattern is much looser these days(3C) than what it probably would be If I just wore it out and curly. I don't know what you mean by skull shape, but.... Okay. Based on my "combination" of features I suppose this gives me away too? Come on girl, just stop... If you think she looks biracial that's fine, but the way your presenting your proof is killing me...

Yes, a lot of us can tell for the most part when someone MAY be biracial(I've been wrong before). Jessie Williams I can tell is biracial, though I do have black aunts that look similar to him but for the most part it's obvious he is and he has said he is biracial. This isn't the case with every person. I have plenty of biracial cousins and family members, as many blacks probably do--that range in complexion, features, hair, etc. Not all of them have a certain combination of "ambiguous features" either. Just like with blacks, for biracials there is not a "set" look. I've seen some with caramel complexions, loose kinky curly hair, and eurocentric features, to some that are darker in complexion and look like obama, or those that look like they are latin when they are in fact black/white, I can go on and on, but unfortunately while there are many cases where it may look obvious that someone is biracial, there are also cases where you don't know for sure. Perhaps his wife is one of those cases, since some of us think she is and others think she isn't.

Since she has not said what her race is herself, and he hasn't either, we are all merely playing the guessing ame.

I frankly don't particularly care either way. If she is, then she is, if she's not so be it. I don't hold biracial women on a pedestal, because frankly I don't think every biracial person is attractive, or that being biracial makes them anymore special than anyone else. Others often speak about it as if it means something special, but to me, it's a part of their identity, what makes them unique--the same way it is for anyone of any ethnicity.

I never took Sweet Sugar saying that Jessie William's wife was biracial as being "racist"- I don't even see how that connection can be made LOL!!!! I actually didn't read much into her comment meaning anything about her feelings about blackness, I just thought that because I was told that Jessie's wife was black by other people that the wife was black. So I said "she's black" lol.

Then when I looked at her picture,I thought she looked black as well, but h*** she could be biracial. We don't know.
I suppose it's possible, but I'm pretty certain she is biracial. For example, I could look at Rosario Dawson and Zoe Kravitz and know they are MGM-mixed like myself and not biracial. Biracials who are direct descendants of white people and not several generations removed are far more likely to have the recessive craniofacial structure that is more common to white people. I used to have an interest in craniometry and the study of phenotype/craniofacial structure, so I am pretty good at identifying these things. It's why I said that I tend to be attracted to Jews specifically rather than white men in general. I find white men like Zac Efron attractive, but they tend to have slightly broader skull types. He's gorgeous, but I would prefer it if he had the longer, skinnier face more characteristic of an Ashkenazi Jew.

By the way, Efron's girlfriend Sami is biracial (black and white).

Last edited by torontocheeka; 04-07-2016 at 11:45 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I suppose it's possible, but I'm pretty certain she is biracial. For example, I could look at Rosario Dawson and Zoe Kravitz and know they are MGM-mixed like myself and not biracial. Biracials who are direct descendants of white people and not several generations removed tend to have the recessive craniofacial structure that is more common to white people. I used to have an interest in craniometry and the study of phenotype/craniofacial structure, so I am pretty good at identifying these things. It's why I said that I tend to be attracted to Jews specifically rather than white men in general. I find white men like Zac Efron attractive, but they tend to have slightly broader skull types. He's gorgeous, but I would prefer it if he had the longer, skinnier face more characteristic of a Jew.

By the way, Efron's girlfriend Sami is biracial (black and white).
Okay.

I guess if you say it's so, then it's so.

I have no idea who Sami is, and don't even remember what Zac Efron looks like... LOL.

Honestly I don't pay attention much to white men(in terms of assessing their attractiveness), unless I really find one attractive. In Philly a certain subset of white men hit on me a lot, and from the way they look--a darker white complexion, dark black hair, etc--I've always pegged these particular subsets to look more "italian". I don't know if they are, but they don't look as European as the white man with blonde hair, or light brown hair. I also can not discern Jewish men the way you can. I think that when it comes to that, I admit to ignorance. There was a white girl in a class I had, and she had red hair, and I just assumed she was white. Well during a conversation she made comments about whites, and said that she was "greek"(her parents came straight from Greece) and that she did not consider herself white. I had no idea that Greek was different from "white", likewise whenever I've seen a white person that did not outright say they were Jewish, I assumed they were just white. Obviously certain features should have tipped me off, but they didnt... I've learned to try not to assume anything about anyone just based on how they look alone.

In any case, I'm wondering if your preference and fascination with these specific features have anything to do with your white stepfather? Not that they are a problem(whatever floats your boat), I just find it interesting.

I was raised in a home with two black parents, both who are actually dark in complexion(my mom is dead though). And my mom raised us to be pretty conscious about who we were as black kids. We watched "Roots" early on, my mom did not allow us to play with white barbie dolls, we were not allowed to watch Sleeping Beauty, or Cinderella, or any other movie where a white girl was the "beauty" the prince was seeking/saving. She bought us books with black faces. She taught us black history(outside of the school). She gave us all ethnic names. We were taught about our blackness and what it meant--and our parents encouraged us to have black friends. When we moved to mostly white areas, my parents still linked up with other blacks. Because of this, I have a difficult time wrapping my mind around blacks that either want nothing to do with being black, or that believe other races are more attractive/better.

I don't find your type attractive, no offense, lol, looks too pretty and scrawny like I can bench more than they can. I like men that are swole(muscular) because I'm a gymhead, and I prefer brown or dark men, with masculine features and a sense of swag. That to me exudes masculinity, as opposed to the slim adorable pretty boy look, which doesn't do anything for me. Ay to each their own.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Okay.

I guess if you say it's so, then it's so.

I have no idea who Sami is, and don't even remember what Zac Efron looks like... LOL.

Honestly I don't pay attention much to white men(in terms of assessing their attractiveness), unless I really find one attractive. In Philly a certain subset of white men hit on me a lot, and from the way they look--a darker white complexion, dark black hair, etc--I've always pegged these particular subsets to look more "italian". I don't know if they are, but they don't look as European as the white man with blonde hair, or light brown hair. I also can not discern Jewish men the way you can. I think that when it comes to that, I admit to ignorance. There was a white girl in a class I had, and she had red hair, and I just assumed she was white. Well during a conversation she made comments about whites, and said that she was "greek"(her parents came straight from Greece) and that she did not consider herself white. I had no idea that Greek was different from "white", likewise whenever I've seen a white person that did not outright say they were Jewish, I assumed they were just white. Obviously certain features should have tipped me off, but they didnt... I've learned to try not to assume anything about anyone just based on how they look alone.

In any case, I'm wondering if your preference and fascination with these specific features have anything to do with your white stepfather? Not that they are a problem(whatever floats your boat), I just find it interesting.

I was raised in a home with two black parents, both who are actually dark in complexion(my mom is dead though). And my mom raised us to be pretty conscious about who we were as black kids. We watched "Roots" early on, my mom did not allow us to play with white barbie dolls, we were not allowed to watch Sleeping Beauty, or Cinderella, or any other movie where a white girl was the "beauty" the prince was seeking/saving. She bought us books with black faces. She taught us black history(outside of the school). She gave us all ethnic names. We were taught about our blackness and what it meant--and our parents encouraged us to have black friends. When we moved to mostly white areas, my parents still linked up with other blacks. Because of this, I have a difficult time wrapping my mind around blacks that either want nothing to do with being black, or that believe other races are more attractive/better.

I don't find your type attractive, no offense, lol, looks too pretty and scrawny like I can bench more than they can. I like men that are swole(muscular) because I'm a gymhead, and I prefer brown or dark men, with masculine features and a sense of swag. That to me exudes masculinity, as opposed to the slim adorable pretty boy look, which doesn't do anything for me. Ay to each their own.

I mean, what sparked my interest in craniometry was a desire to understand facial symmetry, etc. and what is "beautiful," and then beyond that, what I personally find beautiful/attractive. I am a pretty curious person by nature, so I've taken up all kinds of rather obscure and bizarre studies over the years. Anyway, scientists have identified what they've deemed "the golden ratio"; we know from this that there are attractive people in all races - that is an objective and indisputable fact. These are the lucky few that get the closest to a consensus from everyone globally if people are being honest with themselves and not allowing racial biases to influence them, because their faces are perfectly proportioned. Beyond that, it's all subjective and people pick up broader preferences from all sorts of cultural cues and personal experiences (see also: the 'love map' theory; it stipulates that after our earliest sexual experiences, the human brain wires itself to associate certain visual cues found within that partner with orgasm and sexual reward.)

My dad is German, and he has a Germanic phenotype, with the broader/rounder face shape characteristic of European (as opposed to Semitic) peoples. I don't really know why Semitic (Jewish) facial types do it for me - I don't even have an affinity for the religion or ANY religion, really - they just do. I know only a few Jews personally, and there are cultural barriers that prevent me from getting into a serious relationship with a Jew. That's one reason the love of my life isn't actually Jewish, but just looks like a Jew. You mentioned Italian men; my bf is 1/4 Italian, and growing up my biggest teen crush other than Ryan Gosling was Chris Carrabba, whose background is Italian: http://www.richietsteadman.com/wp-co...-carrabba1.jpg. So I guess I like their look as well, just not as much as the Jews.

This music video has a black guy in it who I would say also fits into my type perfectly, 100%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y72FYJelbI. So I guess maybe it's a package deal more than I realized. I like guys who are ectomorphs, with the corresponding craniofacial structure, and who look like hipsters and rockers, I guess?

In my household I grew up with white dolls and black dolls. My mom used to listen to Elton John and Whitney Houston. My mom is materialistic, and she would talk about money and luxury. I think when my mother looks at men, she primarily sees the colour green. My mom's best friends are a Kenyan black lady and a white Canadian lady. She herself is Caribbean and speaks Creole. Everything about my upbringing was a mix of cultures (with an emphasis on being Canadian first and foremost), and that is something I am very proud of to be honest. I feel fortunate to have grown up that way, had the opportunity to travel as much as I did, and not have been insular.

It's funny, I have a really close female friend whose type sounds pretty much exactly like your type. Growing up, I was into alternative and emo, "swag" is probably the last thing I want in a man, lol. I say, to each his/her own. I may like my men a certain way, but when it comes to friends, I just like good people who are not religious.

Last edited by torontocheeka; 04-07-2016 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships