Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 08:05 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times

Advertisements

oh hell no, if you black and speak proper, you're going start out at foreman the first day

Old 11-21-2015, 08:13 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
I'm black and I speak "proper", and I'm just a lowly State employee!

Old 11-21-2015, 08:38 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Most blacks in Canada come from other Commonwealth countries like the Bahamas, Caribbean, and even Africa. They're a different "cat".

Amazing how Rihanna, Obama, Pointer, and whatzhisname can waltz right by the color (colour) barrier and take their place in America.

It's not "all about the USA" anymore. And it's not 1955 EITHER.
Well, it actually still is 1955 for people who were kids in 1955. Rush Limbaugh, Al Sharpton, Bill O'Reilly, et cetera.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:58 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
For those who live in the USA, it's the USA.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:48 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
Black people are often times critcized as being 'ghetto', but if you are black and you speak proper, people make fun of you by calling you an oreo and saying that you want to be white. Most blacks really don't like you and most whites will hang out with you but they will constantly make sarcastic comments about how you are trying to be white.You really can't win. I am not comfortable around either race because of stuff like this.

This is one reason why I dislike 90% of people. People always expect you to fit every black stereotype or they try to say you really aren't "black".

I have a friend who always gives me a hard time about a lot of stupid stuff, like going to too many festivals, dating the wrong people, or because I don't do random hookups (he admits that he has trouble controlling himself and he can't help but sleep around even though he is in a relationship. he is jealous of me). But the thing he gives me the hardest time about is how he claims that I act white.

Over the years (we just started talking again in december 2014 after having a fall out a few years prior where we stopped speaking) he will always make some kind of random and somewhat sarcastic comment about me acting white. I have talked about how it bothers me when people say stuff like that. There are a few mutual friends of ours who are black and speak proper and he always comments on how they act white because they speak proper. Then last week when we were on the phone he said, "I usually can tell if I am talking to a black person on the phone by the way they sound, except if I am talking to you." So basically the last part of that statement was him taking a shot at me by saying I sound white. He has said other stuff like "you sound like a country white boy" or "that white dude is blacker than you and Greg combined" (greg is a mutual black friend of ours). Plus my friend makes racist generalizations about blacks in front of me. The last time he came to visit me, he wanted to go to waffle house but he told me "I won't go in the waffle house by where you live because too many black people go in there and black people are loud and I don't wanna get shot" ( i live in a nice, mostly black area).

He also is in a relationship with a black guy and only dates black guys (even though he is attracted to white guys as well). Most of the black guys he dates act ghetto so he expects every black guy to be like that. He grew up and still lives in a really small town in south alabama, so I try to cut him some slack because I know people in small southern towns tend to be closed-minded.

I am only attracted to whites, but I am becoming really leery of dating them. Most white people I have dated have said racist comments to me and put me down because I supposedly act white. I am tired of everybody associating being black with being ghetto.
We are not all the same.

You end with "We are not all the same" and yet your post is rife with "most white people" this and "everybody" that.

Here's a suggestion: Get out of the South and see how people act in the rest of the world.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:09 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,244,680 times
OP your friend's a dumbass with no couth.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:27 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
Dont worry about what "they" say. It's likely that all those ghetto talking blacks will someday be serving you and your kids french fries when you're on your way to vacation. Besides they're probably just jealous that you're smarter then they are. The stupid people of this world are always trying to drag down the harder working and more intelligent one.

Last edited by HTY483; 11-21-2015 at 10:53 PM..

Old 11-21-2015, 11:06 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
Black people are often times critcized as being 'ghetto', but if you are black and you speak proper, people make fun of you by calling you an oreo and saying that you want to be white. Most blacks really don't like you and most whites will hang out with you but they will constantly make sarcastic comments about how you are trying to be white.You really can't win. I am not comfortable around either race because of stuff like this.

This is one reason why I dislike 90% of people. People always expect you to fit every black stereotype or they try to say you really aren't "black".

I have a friend who always gives me a hard time about a lot of stupid stuff, like going to too many festivals, dating the wrong people, or because I don't do random hookups (he admits that he has trouble controlling himself and he can't help but sleep around even though he is in a relationship. he is jealous of me). But the thing he gives me the hardest time about is how he claims that I act white.

Over the years (we just started talking again in december 2014 after having a fall out a few years prior where we stopped speaking) he will always make some kind of random and somewhat sarcastic comment about me acting white. I have talked about how it bothers me when people say stuff like that. There are a few mutual friends of ours who are black and speak proper and he always comments on how they act white because they speak proper. Then last week when we were on the phone he said, "I usually can tell if I am talking to a black person on the phone by the way they sound, except if I am talking to you." So basically the last part of that statement was him taking a shot at me by saying I sound white. He has said other stuff like "you sound like a country white boy" or "that white dude is blacker than you and Greg combined" (greg is a mutual black friend of ours). Plus my friend makes racist generalizations about blacks in front of me. The last time he came to visit me, he wanted to go to waffle house but he told me "I won't go in the waffle house by where you live because too many black people go in there and black people are loud and I don't wanna get shot" ( i live in a nice, mostly black area).

He also is in a relationship with a black guy and only dates black guys (even though he is attracted to white guys as well). Most of the black guys he dates act ghetto so he expects every black guy to be like that. He grew up and still lives in a really small town in south alabama, so I try to cut him some slack because I know people in small southern towns tend to be closed-minded.

I am only attracted to whites, but I am becoming really leery of dating them. Most white people I have dated have said racist comments to me and put me down because I supposedly act white. I am tired of everybody associating being black with being ghetto. We are not all the same.
Excellent post. Seems like people want blacks to act the stereotype. I say, "be yourself". Those who criticize are not people who matter. People who do care and who do matter, don't have a problem with you as you are. To hell with the others.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:17 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
To thine own self be true.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:39 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
One thing I am glad about living and working in Northern VA is that I extremely rarely encounter the "he talk like a white boy" business. I work in a federal building environment and have a graduate education in addition to a Bachelor's degree, so I tend to be around black people who are more highly educated than most of the country here in Northern VA. Now if I were to go to another part of the area like a inner-beltway Prince Georges County, MD or certain parts of DC, I put my odds on getting the "he talk like a white boy" treatment a lot higher. If my friends gave me crap about the way I speak, they'd no longer be my friends.

Speaking proper is not an expression that you want to be white, it is just the cost of doing business if you want any sort of decent life socially or professionally in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships