Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 03:09 PM

983 posts, read 1,054,686 times

Advertisements

Give them your apologies. Something came up and you can't make it. Be vague.

Leave for the day on Thursday. Go to a park or some place. A bar? Go shopping! It's hard to know since a lot of places aren't open that day.

Next time this happens, think carefully before you accept the invitation. You don't have to say what you are doing, just that you have other plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 03:14 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
In life I have had to smile and make small talk with some people I detested. It is part of life. Grow up.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatUsernameIsTaken View Post
It's a legitimate question. I am going to guess Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons. Maybe Catholic or Islam though.

Wondering how the appropriate response to the OP's dilemma differs if the family is Catholic vs the response if they are LDS or JW, or Jewish?

Old 11-22-2015, 03:40 PM

22,563 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well if it's a real hardcore and slightly scary religious movement I think that would weight heavily on how close I would get to the people of said religion.
Can't get much closer than living together under the same roof, which the OP is already doing!

Old 11-22-2015, 04:03 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
nope, suck it up, if i have to do it, so do you, its just a couple hours, beside they think of you enough to invite you.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:06 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
I initally thought I would have to work on Thanksgiving, but now it looks like I will not...I would rather just hang out in my room (ONE DAY OF REST!!) and watch netflix...
I don't think you can do that. If you are IN THE BUILDING, you'll be obliged to spend Thanksgiving with them, else they may soon become your ex-landlords.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:09 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Get a hotel room and say you have to work unexpectedly. Then hang out there all day.
If a person rents out a room in a house, they are unlikely to have the disposable cash to rent a hotel room.

But more importantly, LYING stinks.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:12 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburned_in_seattle View Post
I initally thought I would have to work on Thanksgiving, but now it looks like I will not...I would rather just hang out in my room (ONE DAY OF REST!!) and watch netflix...

I know you wrote "would rather" but please don't seriously consider it. Because if you do this, it's almost a guarantee that your living arrangements won't be so peaceful from then on. Not because they'll turn vicious or anything, but it will be very awkward.

If you need to lie your way out of it then come up with a good one (sibling suddenly invited you, something), and GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. In reference to the above poster's comments about lying, I don't think you could give a truthful answer in this situation without causing hard feelings.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I know you wrote "would rather" but please don't seriously consider it. Because if you do this, it's almost a guarantee that your living arrangements won't be so peaceful from then on. Not because they'll turn vicious or anything, but it will be very awkward.

If you need to lie your way out of it then come up with a good one (sibling suddenly invited you, something), and GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. In reference to the above poster's comments about lying, I don't think you could give a truthful answer in this situation without causing hard feelings.

Just FYI, saying basically "I got a better offer" as an excuse to decline an already accepted invitation, is also going to cause hurt feelings - and it's rude.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
*cough* *cough* I think I'm coming down with something. Works every time.
I think you should do this. Tell them you are going to hunker down under your blankets and drink tea. It also may make them avoid bringing you a plate. And, hereafter...make an excuse and decline any invites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships