Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If a friend or relative asks you for money, do you give it to them?
YES, I can afford it and it is an act of kindness 6 10.91%
NO, it's my money, I earned it 26 47.27%
Maybe, but only immediate family members 23 41.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:12 AM

54 posts, read 51,277 times

Advertisements

If you have money do you give it away to less fortunate friends or relatives? If they ask you point blank for money, what do you say? I am not talking about a loan, but a grant- a gift. These family or friends are broke, they need the money, and you have it, they don't and and they want your money.

So... do you give them money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 07:30 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Sometimes we do, and sometimes we don't. Since it is always from one of my spouse's family members I generally let him decide. It often depends on the sob story we receive, how long it's been since the last gift, the purpose of the money and how much is needed. It also depends on his mood at the time the request is received.

We also rarely hand over cash. We will directly pay a bill(s) for her instead.

That said, in all of the years we have been giving this particular family member money she has thanked me one time. While my spouse typically has a much higher income than I do, we both consider it "our" money as I have contributed to our family in other ways. (giving up my career for many years to raise our kids and eventually taking a job I didn't love). She will often thank my spouse, but it irks me that the thanks doesn't extend to me.

It's about that time of year that we should be getting a call and story from her.

Some of the other extended family members have asked for money over the years. We generally say no.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:35 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,874 times
The only family people who have demanded cash from me have been addicts so no, I dont give.

I do happily buy groceries or treat them to a meal and some Target items however, regardless of their addiction status.

My parents are well off but as they grow older who knows? I would give anything to them if needed.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:52 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
I used to. Then I got smart and stopped.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:17 AM

54 posts, read 51,277 times
If you give them money in 2014 what if they ask for more in 2015?

Old 11-24-2015, 08:21 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Ball View Post
If you give them money in 2014 what if they ask for more in 2015?
Maybe instead of being vague, you could put out the real question you have and get real feedback

Old 11-24-2015, 09:17 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,211 times
Quite simply: NO.

Then I have offered to sit down with someone to work out a budget.

No one has ever taken me up on that offer.

Life is much simpler and free of drama when one is known as someone who does not hand out money.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:43 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Quite simply: NO.

Then I have offered to sit down with someone to work out a budget.

No one has ever taken me up on that offer.

Life is much simpler and free of drama when one is known as someone who does not hand out money.

We have given money but when it happens to many times my husband will then tell them that it is time to sit down and work out a budget. We too found that they didn't want to do that.

I have loaned money to a couple of family members who are less off or having a hard time. I gave them money knowing I won't see it again but then they only asked in a real crises and would have worked out a plan to pay it back but since I love them I don't. That was a few years ago and they haven't asked for any more money. One was a recent widow and the other was laid off and needed help till he found a job.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:00 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
My ex wife's dirt bag, doper family always had their hand out. Sometimes I did, and sometimes I didn't. I always considered it a gift, in spite of their assurances that "they would pay me back. Ha! I never saw a penny.

It ended when they asked for a serious amount of money, and I agreed as long as they signed the deed to their house over to me as collateral. Thing was probably mortgaged up the kazoo, and likely near or in default, but just the thought ended the gravy train.

My advice, if you have the money to give, is to do as your heart wishes, but always consider it a gift.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:13 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
I don't loan money to anyone - but I have given money to relatives with both ongoing and one-time needs: international adoption, hurricane refugees, chronic illnesses paired with low income, and so on. No problems with any of these, although some kinfolks appear to think I am much better off financially than I really am, and sometimes hint about their own unexpected expenses, etc.

I just got that yesterday from one physically disabled, low-income relative whose recent medical test was inconclusive but potentially not so great (more testing will determine what's going on), and whose recent change in insurance has added to their monthly expenses. This relative also has a disabled sibling, to whose care I contribute annually. Meanwhile, the one healthy sibling in this branch of the family is seeking disability status for a young adult child, a vet with PTSD. I think there are some inherited issues at work here, along with plain old bad luck.

So my usual Christmas gift check to the first-mentioned relative may be earlier than usual and a little more generous, if I can manage - but I have had recent unexpected expenses of my own and while my income has remained steady, there was no COL for me this year and my investment principle has declined in value.

So there are no easy answers. Not as young as I once was, and some health concerns of my own need factoring in, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships