Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 11:27 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Did you actually read the thread? OP asked them to make stuff like a dark chocolate and carrot smoothie, and then when she thought it was gross she expected them to make something else for her for no charge. That's not incompetence on the store's part--she got exactly what she ordered.
I guess I missed that post!

Nevermind then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 05:50 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Here's the thing, kmb - you need a diagnosis. If you're not on the autism spectrum, there is something else going on. It's not going to be a huge time and expense - when I got evaluated for ADD, I basically went to a psychiatry group for an initial meeting and then they set up the evaluation. We discussed the results in a third session. That's really all it took.

When I found out I likely had ADD, I started learning about it and I just naturally adapted how I did things to accommodate my difficulties. It was no longer a struggle to understand why I couldn't do things the way other people did. I developed my own processes and approaches. It really helped.

Then, a couple years later, when I got my formal diagnosis and got the insights from some trained professionals, my life began to change dramatically. I learned to use my "disability" as a strength. My brain processes information differently. I currently fill a role at a company where they cycled through multiple people in quick succession before I came in and made the job my own. I'm comfortable with the chaos that comes with the position, and my different way of thinking means that I can break things down into smaller tasks fairly easily (because now it's second nature) and that I can see problems and inconsistencies in other people don't notice.

Socially, I'm just very open about the fact that I've got a severe case of ADD. It gives my friends permission to rein me in when I go off the rails a little, which helps me learn to control it better. It also means people don't take offense if I act a little off the wall sometimes - sometimes I'm fidgety or have trouble with eye contact, which can make other people feel nervous or disrespected if they don't know what drives it. Sometimes I sigh a lot - it's more of a self-soothing tic than an indicator that I'm bored, but again, it is something that can cause offense.

The thing about disorders like ADD and Asperger's is that if you're a smart person, you can turn your "disability" into a strength fairly easily and being open about it can break the ice and put people at ease. But if you refuse to deal with it, it just holds you back.

Get a reference for a good psychiatry group, preferably one that specializes in the autism spectrum, and get tested. You don't necessarily need medication, but you do need someone who can help you learn to translate the world you're moving in and to communicate effectively in return.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:25 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Call the Autism society or another group like that and ask them where to get tested. Join the Alabama Autism.org group I linked to you before Alabama Autism & Asperger Info & Support Network - Free Resources, Guidance, Rights & Connections Formerly BlountCountyAutism.com and CALL someone there and ASK and if if's a dead end than ASK where they suggest you try next, and stop giving up so easily. I dont think you will have to spend any money. Don't you have insurance with your full time job now? You certainly should qualify this time for ACA because you make more than you did last time. Of course open enrollment ends on the 15th and I will guess you're just going to let it slip by than lament you don't have insurance.
Look, I guess I will try again, but it is so frustrating to go out of my way just to meet a locked door. I usually just try to keep myself busy so that I can blame my odd behavior on other things--lack of sleep, stress, and excitement. It's an odd adaptation that's been working for me but at the expense of me not really developing good interpersonal skills. I just can't seem to do it naturally, so I avoid it unless people won't mind if I'm a little weird.

As far as insurance is concerned. Yeah, I can qualify, but it costs around $200 per month. That's a pretty big chunk of my paycheck, and the plan doesn't cover every expense I would incur for that, either. I would still have out-of-pocket expenses concerning doctor's visits and other things. It just didn't seem worth it to me. I wish it was like it was when it was first offered, inexpensive and with better coverage.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Look, I guess I will try again, but it is so frustrating to go out of my way just to meet a locked door. I usually just try to keep myself busy so that I can blame my odd behavior on other things--lack of sleep, stress, and excitement. It's an odd adaptation that's been working for me but at the expense of me not really developing good interpersonal skills. I just can't seem to do it naturally, so I avoid it unless people won't mind if I'm a little weird.

As far as insurance is concerned. Yeah, I can qualify, but it costs around $200 per month. That's a pretty big chunk of my paycheck, and the plan doesn't cover every expense I would incur for that, either. I would still have out-of-pocket expenses concerning doctor's visits and other things. It just didn't seem worth it to me. I wish it was like it was when it was first offered, inexpensive and with better coverage.
Some things are worth the money and this is one of them!

Old 12-10-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I wrote what I wrote in response to your bolded words. I have read the entire thread, and posted more than once on it. It won't help you to be dumped on for your snarky response, so I won't bother. But again, you are the one holding yourself back.

I read your post when I was tired. I do appreciate it if you were trying to help, but a few people have just commented after reading the first two or three pages and haven't gotten the full story. I thought it was understood that I am not intentionally avoiding help. I just believe that help is not really available.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I guess I missed that post!

Nevermind then!
From the looks

I complained about the manager rudely scolding me for ordering too many remakes after saying nothing to me about it before. I argued that it seemed like the employees "invited" me to request remakes of smoothies I didn't like. Other posters sided with the manager in that I should have "known better" than to order so many remakes and take advantage of their policy. My argument, however, is that they approached me in such a way that it didn't occur to me that I was taking advantage of them. The conversation later drifted to social cues and my diagnosis at a student clinic for ASD (Asperger's--marked by the inability to read social cues). Later posts have suggested I seek help. I said that I have, only to run into dead ends. The more I think about it, though, perhaps I am mildly autistic and should try a bit harder to get support.

Last edited by krmb; 12-10-2015 at 09:11 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 03:12 AM

Quote:
From the looks

I don't know what happened. I'm pretty sure I wrote something like, "from the looks of things; you aren't alone. Here is a quick summary." I don't know why it posted only some of what I wrote. Perhaps I unintentionally erased it before posting?

Old 12-11-2015, 06:03 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:

I'm sorry KMB but this IMO is a foolish and immature decision. This is your life, and it's not worth $200?

Old 12-11-2015, 06:04 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
I read your post when I was tired. I do appreciate it if you were trying to help, but a few people have just commented after reading the first two or three pages and haven't gotten the full story. I thought it was understood that I am not intentionally avoiding help. I just believe that help is not really available.
You're not trying hard enough. If you're not spending the bulk of your time when you're not working researching where to find help, you're simply not trying hard enough. If you're not skrimping and doing everything possible to get health insurance to change your life, you don't care enough and aren't trying hard enough.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:04 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
From the looks

I complained about the manager rudely scolding me for ordering too many remakes after saying nothing to me about it before. I argued that it seemed like the employees "invited" me to request remakes of smoothies I didn't like. Other posters sided with the manager in that I should have "known better" than to order so many remakes and take advantage of their policy. My argument, however, is that they approached me in such a way that it didn't occur to me that I was taking advantage of them. The conversation later drifted to social cues and my diagnosis at a student clinic for ASD (Asperger's--marked by the inability to read social cues). Later posts have suggested I seek help. I said that I have, only to run into dead ends. The more I think about it, though, perhaps I am mildly autistic and should try a bit harder to get support.

Put yourself in the shoes of others when you make decisions. You made assumptions without spending time on it. Ask yourself, "How would that make me feel if someone did this to me?" Don't look at it from the surface, but instead really spend some time thinking on it. If you own or manage a business, and you have a repeat customer who you have already tried to please numerous times, you will begin to think they actually like the product and want a freebie. Otherwise common sense says they won't come back. If you touch a hot stove and it burns you, will you do it repeatedly expecting different results?

The last bolded statement is another assumption that you are making about yourself. You really need to stop making those and go seek help. No excuses about money or whatever else. If it's important enough to you, you will find a way to do it. When my son had to have expensive medical procedures that we didn't have the money for, we found it. Worked longer hours, side jobs, cut back on expenses, etc.... We made it work. That's part of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships