Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 06:09 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I feel pretty old to be with my mom im 22 going back to school so I might be there for a while. Im still trying to figure everything out I have an Idea Im not COMPLETELY lost but I need some work.
Don't feel bad. Like someone mentioned, it's so much more expensive now to live on your own. Save, save, save, and most of all--treat your mother with respect! (I get the impression you would). It's her house, her rules. I trust that you will soon be out on your own and in a good financial situation when you do so.

I was 18 when I moved out of my parent's house, but wasn't on my own technically (able to support myself financially) until about 5 years ago (I'm 35 now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 06:30 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
How "long" did it take me? About one hour of loading my items into the car.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:34 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
"How long did it take you to move out of your parents house?? "
Half an hour.

And I moved out upon graduation at age 21.

ETA: Katie and I think alike!

Old 12-10-2015, 06:36 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
23 years old in last year of undergrad. I was lucky enough to be living and working somewhere COL was dirt cheap. I had had it up to here with my mom's strict BS rules and her treating me like a kid so I went out one day signed a lease and bolted.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:54 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Let’s see...I went to college at 17 but don’t really consider that moving out. After college, I moved back in to my mom’s junky basement apartment. Got a job and after a few months, started paying rent to my mom (she made me – best thing she could have done).

Stayed for about 1 year and then got another job that I needed to travel for so I lived at home on weekends and some weekdays. 2 yrs later, I kicked myself out – I was 24, too old to be living there and wanted my own place. I’ve been wanting to go before then but didn’t (safety net thing) but when something presented itself, I immediately took it with gusto, seeing it as an opportunity even though I knew I could completely fail.

I moved over 4 hrs away. My mother was sad to see me go so far but didn’t put up a fuss to stop me. She was just worried. There were some big challenges but look at me now. I’m over 40 and doing very well. I’m proud of myself.

Do what you think will make you proud of yourself, even if it’s hard or seems like it may set you back. Because feeling good about yourself won’t be a setback.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:05 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
I moved back home for 3 months after college graduation, worked 2 jobs, packed my backpack and went to Europe for 6 months. Came back to my parents' house, then got my first job within a couple of weeks, and when I got my first paycheck I moved into my own apartment and that was it. I was 21.

I was paying half my take home pay in rent, which was tight, so I took in a roommate eventually. There is always a way if you are motivated to be independent.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:31 AM

385 posts, read 440,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I feel pretty old to be with my mom im 22 going back to school so I might be there for a while. Im still trying to figure everything out I have an Idea Im not COMPLETELY lost but I need some work.
3 months...the summer before I left for college (in 1987) 3,000 miles away...and I have never been back.

Not that I don't love/like them and they me, but yeah. Being an adult is where it is at.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:43 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
I moved out the morning after I graduated High School, I was 17. Best move I ever made.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:41 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I was around 20 when I moved out and around 25 when I moved back from California. I was ready to move out after 2 months but the roof was leaking so bad on the house that I had to put a new one on. It delayed my departure from hell another two or three months. I can't tell you how soul crushing it was living with my alcoholic mother and brother for ten minutes, let alone a couple of months. Putting the roof on the house turned out to be a good thing because I wound up owning the nightmare after my mother died. Had I not put the roof on when I did the structural damage we had to repair would have been even more extensive. I also had to put another roof on it, but the house has made us a ton of money. Poetic justice for all the years of torture I had to endure there with the alcoholics.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:44 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
How long did it take you to move out of your parents house??

So fast (my teens), because I'm that good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships