Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 03:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,851,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My mom kicked me out when I was 18. She's begged me many times over the years to leave my husband and move back in (because I cook and clean and do repairs and yard work) but that's never going to happen. That time I got home from work and all my belongings were tossed in the front yard and the locks were changed was enough for me.
I thought I was the only one whose mom tried to get them to leave a perfectly happy marriage to come home and take care of her. She even kept it up after my little ones were born. And she had essentially kicked me out when I was 18. She let me know I wasn't welcome for a minute after I turned 18.

Yeah, sure mom. I'm going to leave my husband, the man I love and vowed to stay by his side, to come home and take care of your butt. And sure, I'll bring our kids along....lets just pretend he doesn't exist.

ETA I think part of the reason was she wanted child support from him...or for me to get it and give it to her. Man, I am so glad I don't have a relationship with her anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 03:34 PM

96 posts, read 78,065 times
I moved out at 18 when I left for college. I went home for breaks (including summer) but I just slept there and stashed my stuff there temporarily while I worked and saved money. I graduated college in 3 years, and was completely out and on my own by then. I went to law school in a different state from them and they helped me with my car payment but they handed that over to me the day I graduated. Literally. They put the payment coupon booklet in my graduation card. LOL.

If I was going to school now, though, I think if possible, I'd try to live at home to save money. Or at least, lived there during law school. My parents and I get along, and while they annoy me after too much togetherness, if I was saving lots of money and out of the house most of the day or in my room studying it would work out fine.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:23 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,418,664 times
I was 17, I left school in July and joined the Royal Navy in the September. My brother moved into my room almost immediately. I have never lived at home since.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:57 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,569,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Piece of advice: As long as your parents don't mind, don't be in a rush to move out. With a good job you can save money and contribute to their household and be a blessing to both you and your parents. Of course this will only work if you can get along with your parents which for some reason these days a lot of people can't.
I agree. It's great to be independent and have your own space, but if you aren't really financially prepared to move out yet, wait if you can. Lots of people in this thread moved out very early, but not everyone does. I don't think 22 is too old to live with parents. My friend is almost 30 and just recently moved out of her parents' home.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:17 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,772,693 times
The morning after HS graduation. I went to spend the summer with my sister, in a city where I could get a summer job, then went to college.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,659,879 times
18. And I've never been back.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:49 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,124,162 times
I did the in and out thing too. Moved out to go to college for 2 years. Moved back in after graduation and got a job, to save up for a 3 month trip to Europe. Took the trip and came back to the job, lived at home for another year and a half then got a transfer to another town. So I was 25 when I moved out for good. But the folks and I had a great relationship.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:54 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,090,038 times
I honestly didn't completely move out of my parents houses(living with either my mom, or my stepdad) until I was 29.
Been living on my own now, in my own apartment, for three years.
While things still get me down in the dumps and work can drive me nuts, I still think of ways to keep myself from ever ending up back over there.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:58 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,871,642 times
19; playing music in a band for a living doesn't pay well unless you are wildly successful and my mom told me to give it a try until she realized it didn't support me.
TV, movies and printed media was a bunch of lies. It was an expensive hobby at that point and further into my adult life to this day.

A musician is someone who hauls $5K worth of equipment around in a $200 car only to make $100. You basically pay to play.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:20 PM

10,077 posts, read 6,375,305 times
I moved out at 19; my mother literally didn't speak to me for 3 months. She even cancelled Thanksgiving that year because she was so mad at me, but we made up by the end of the year. I initially rented a room with a shared bathroom, but then upgraded to a hole-in-the-wall "studio" across the street. I worked afternoons and evenings and went to college full-time during the daytime - my take-home pay was $25.00 per week. I even used to pay my bus fare to school in pennies! I lived on spray cheese in a can, Ritz crackers, and potted meat "food", because I didn't have a refrigerator. It was hard, but I sure learned to economize during those first few years. I've never regretted it, and I never moved back home either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships