Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:20 PM

25,491 posts, read 17,187,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I'm at my wit's end with my friend. I am really like the mother she never had. She is only 26 and this is her third time in rehab. She went back to rehab about a month ago when everyone begged her to go. She also suffers from anxiety.

She got out yesterday and called her boss at 9am this morning, crying and drunk.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? It's sad because she's very intelligent, fun and pretty. She would have a very bright future if she could beat her alcohol addiction.
I disagree with the numerous people who encourage you to distance herself and let her find her own cure.

She does want to get well, she just can't. Not yet. But she is still your friend. Stand by her as long as you possibly can. There may come a day when you will be very happy that you did.
And I would hate for there to be a day when you say, "If only I had tried one more time......".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 03:47 PM

797 posts, read 1,745,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I disagree with the numerous people who encourage you to distance herself and let her find her own cure.

She does want to get well, she just can't. Not yet. But she is still your friend. Stand by her as long as you possibly can. There may come a day when you will be very happy that you did.
And I would hate for there to be a day when you say, "If only I had tried one more time......".
I'm sorry but you don't have a full understanding of alcoholism and codependency and enabling. Your comment made me laugh out loud. If you've ever had to deal with a full-blown alcoholic then you'd know that the longer you stick around the less of a chance there is for the addict to hit rock bottom.

It's completely normal and healthy to tell an addict that you love, "I care about you and hate to see you deal with this struggle. When you are serious about getting help and straightening out your life we can continue our friendship but I can't keep this unhealthy relationship any longer... come to me when you're clean and sober." And you generally get a few faux attempts (tend to result in wanting money- for booze or drugs- or where the addict just tries to test the waters to see if you'll still pick up the pieces for them)... But truly, I cannot stress this enough.. Going no contact is the best thing you can do to help an addict (and yourself!), because if by the grace of God that addict ever hits rock bottom they may sober up and you can try to pick up where you left off.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:17 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,509,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinelove0000 View Post
I'm sorry but you don't have a full understanding of alcoholism and codependency and enabling. Your comment made me laugh out loud. If you've ever had to deal with a full-blown alcoholic then you'd know that the longer you stick around the less of a chance there is for the addict to hit rock bottom.

It's completely normal and healthy to tell an addict that you love, "I care about you and hate to see you deal with this struggle. When you are serious about getting help and straightening out your life we can continue our friendship but I can't keep this unhealthy relationship any longer... come to me when you're clean and sober." And you generally get a few faux attempts (tend to result in wanting money- for booze or drugs- or where the addict just tries to test the waters to see if you'll still pick up the pieces for them)... But truly, I cannot stress this enough.. Going no contact is the best thing you can do to help an addict (and yourself!), because if by the grace of God that addict ever hits rock bottom they may sober up and you can try to pick up where you left off.
Exactly.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:39 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,349,043 times
I used to be friends with someone who was a drug addict. With the emotional roller coaster it has put me through, I decided to distance myself from him. If he ever decides to straighten out his life, I'll be happy for him and wish him the best on his journey. Although, it appears he's doing well now, I don't want to take the chance to invest my energy and see him relaspe again. And from what I've read, for someone to likely succeed in their recovery, it's best for them not to associate with friends who were around them when they were active in their addiction.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:56 PM

6,367 posts, read 6,255,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I'm at my wit's end with my friend. I am really like the mother she never had. She is only 26 and this is her third time in rehab. She went back to rehab about a month ago when everyone begged her to go. She also suffers from anxiety.

She got out yesterday and called her boss at 9am this morning, crying and drunk.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? It's sad because she's very intelligent, fun and pretty. She would have a very bright future if she could beat her alcohol addiction.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but usually interventions or "begging people into rehab" does not work. It needs to be their choice. Usually after their rock bottom.

Al-anon would be a good support for you.

You/she might also consider Smart Recovery. I am much more a fan of this method for alcoholics vs the "all or nothing approach." It depends on what her personality will allow. Smart Recovery is much more empowering to the patient.

Self Help Addiction Recovery | SMART Recovery®

If you MUST go "no contact" then do it for you, don't rationalize that you are helping her. You're not. You can be "non enabling" by staying in contact. Obviously, don't give her money for booze, etc.

So many here preaching the 1980s "tough love" that didn't work the first time around yet apparently had pretty good marketing.

By her actions and her not being 100% voluntary for rehab (forget what she "says") she is in the initial state of change, that is deciding whether she even WANTS to change.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:08 PM

6,367 posts, read 6,255,508 times
Also, if you or her can find a therapist that she can connect to and uses THIS SPECIFIC technique, she will hopefully make at least some progress.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moti...l_interviewing

I know it's frustrating but I applaud you for not enabling her while at the same time not going "no contact" if you can help it. Not many people are able/strong enough to do both simultaneously. They usually either enable or cut off.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:21 PM

402 posts, read 974,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinelove0000 View Post

Perfectly said.

I myself would not waste my time going to Al Anon for support to learn how I need to deal with someone else's problem. That is why it best to walk away. There is no such thing as a person who is permanently in anyone's life period.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:38 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,349,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
Perfectly said.

I myself would not waste my time going to Al Anon for support to learn how I need to deal with someone else's problem. That is why it best to walk away. There is no such thing as a person who is permanently in anyone's life period.
That's why I never bothered with Al-Anon. Why let someone else's problems bother you while the addict could care less about yours? Although, much more difficult to do when it's a family member.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:09 PM

10,111 posts, read 19,371,674 times
Just to add to the conversation.....sometimes people can avoid criminal charges as long as they are in rehab. Charges can be made later, but usually people give up on minor charges. Sometimes people play that card.....

Old 12-12-2015, 08:29 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,587,104 times
Not your problem unless you're buying her booze. She's an adult. She has to want to change. So why are you friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships