Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 01:25 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times

Advertisements

I work with kids for my job (and have my entire life), I have three kids of my own, whom I love dearly. That being said, I'm not a big fan of other people's kids outside of work hours. I would say it's correct to say I love kids, but it's incorrect to say I want to always be around them or I love being with them at all times.

I had my kids before most of my friend did. So my kids are now tweens/teens while my (same age) friends have kids ranging from babies to the age of my youngest child. Most are about 3-6 years younger than my kids. We all have different parenting styles and I've come to realize I have higher behavioral expectations from my children than many of my friends. I am responsible for the kids at my work and my own kids. I dislike dealing with misbehaving children when I'm not the one responsible for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 01:42 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
A friend of mine had a baby 6 months ago and I am embarrassed to say I have not even gone to meet the child. ...
In your situation, you should go meet the child IF this lady is a good friend of yours & because you want to show her that you value & enjoy your friendship with her. It's not about the new baby.

It's like if your friend got a brand new car & is all excited, but you could care less about cars, so you go to see the car though out of respect & close friendship with your friend because that's what GENUINE friends do...they're supportive of one another's good fortunes & other good events that happen in their lives & sincerely want to share the joy, just like they're the shoulder to cry on when bad times happen.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:46 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
In your situation, you should go meet the child IF this lady is a good friend of yours & because you want to show her that you value & enjoy your friendship with her. It's not about the new baby.

It's like if your friend got a brand new car & is all excited, but you could care less about cars, so you go to see the car though out of respect & close friendship with your friend because that's what GENUINE friends do...they're supportive of one another's good fortunes & other good events that happen in their lives & sincerely want to share the joy, just like they're the shoulder to cry on when bad times happen.
That is just it. I am more apt to and have gone to see new puppies and new cars in the last 6 months. Babies? No desire. Done!

Old 12-17-2015, 09:27 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
I hear ya. We don't have kids just yet but everyone around us is popping 'em out. So, not only do I constantly see their pictures & videos popping up everywhere (not just social media, I get random pics & vids through text as well, of course!), but when we talk to them all they talk about is their kids. After a while, I feel like they're all the same! Yes, he/she walks now, yes, he/she says this & that, yes yes yes your kid is the first to do it ever!

So, I post & send pics & vids of my dogs, and brag about them to anyone who is around.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I hear ya. We don't have kids just yet but everyone around us is popping 'em out. So, not only do I constantly see their pictures & videos popping up everywhere (not just social media, I get random pics & vids through text as well, of course!), but when we talk to them all they talk about is their kids. After a while, I feel like they're all the same! Yes, he/she walks now, yes, he/she says this & that, yes yes yes your kid is the first to do it ever!

So, I post & send pics & vids of my dogs, and brag about them to anyone who is around.

I think I am done with cats and dogs soon too. I no longer have the patience I once had, but maybe that too is a result of being stretched way to thin.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:07 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
That is just it. I am more apt to and have gone to see new puppies and new cars in the last 6 months. Babies? No desire. Done!
Quote:

I think I am done with cats and dogs soon too. I no longer have the patience I once had, but maybe that too is a result of being stretched way to thin.
Hmm, well that's a little unfortunate because you have this good friend who I assume you see socially at least once a month going out to lunch, etc., but you'll have no little connection with the child at all. I know, you don't really care if you have a connection.

What if you told your friend that you're just through with kids then at this point in your life, so she won't think you're trying to avoid her for some reason or trying to wrack her brain wondering why you won't see her new baby, which most people are usually excited about.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:38 PM

152 posts, read 174,069 times
Completely in love with tiny little babies, I could stare at them all day, ya know, the little 6 and 8 pounders. Since I have kids of my own now, I am more interested in other people's children, but before I had kids I wouldn't even hold babies. Little ones still tended to flock to me because I was goofy with them.

We all have that one person though in our lives who acts like they are the only one that has a child/children. "OH, watch this video!" The billion pics of them sleeping, etc. on Facebook. THEN it's classic when they don't ask a darn thing about your kids.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
Completely in love with tiny little babies, I could stare at them all day, ya know, the little 6 and 8 pounders. Since I have kids of my own now, I am more interested in other people's children, but before I had kids I wouldn't even hold babies. Little ones still tended to flock to me because I was goofy with them.

We all have that one person though in our lives who acts like they are the only one that has a child/children. "OH, watch this video!" The billion pics of them sleeping, etc. on Facebook. THEN it's classic when they don't ask a darn thing about your kids.
I was interest in all kids up until the last couple years. Maybe it is a case of just being burnt out on the kid thing. My own exhaust me, but I also do it all by myself. Parenting alone is way harder then coparenting. Plus I am in my 20th year of parenting... I am probably just burnt out.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:22 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,011 times
I'm not trying to be mean here but, some kids are just cuter than others! I also find some kids more boring that others. I've always felt this way.

Fast forward years later, some of the kids that weren't that cute blossomed, but the kids who were always kinda bring tended to stay that way. They didn't/don't do much to deserve a lot of attention, but they were dotted on very heavily. I can never understand that...

Last edited by bluemonday; 12-17-2015 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-20-2015, 07:53 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I can relate as I don't have kids and I just don't have an interest in kids. I think in saying that you're still supposed to at least be pleasant and try and fake an interest, at least to be polite.
Agree. I have no kids. I block people's updates on Facebook who have kids because I don't have any interest in kid pics cluttering my Newsfeed. I also block updates from people who incessantly post pet pictures too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships