Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 06:51 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Years ago when I went away to college, the first time a football game came on I was shocked when my roommate told me he wasn't interested in watching. I later discovered he had no interest in joining me to play pickup basketball, volleyball, softball, or even weight lifting.

Until that time I always assumed that every male was interested in sports as I grew up with them being such an integral part of my life. All of my friends were also into sports as well, so I never realized there were men out there that didn't share the same interests.

Ever since then I've been fascinated with men that aren't into sports. What don't they like about them? Do they just dislike competition in general? (something that I love) How do they handle conversations about them in social settings?

Incidentally, I'm just as into sports now as I was then- at least when it comes to playing them. The amount of time I spend these says watching them has been tempered a bit due to a busy schedule.
Sports like football basketball, soccer etc are a team effort.. I know many great athletes that have never played a team sport but are still involved in sport. Although wrestling, boxing and tennis are not truly TEAM sports they do require more than one to compete. GOLF, swimming, bull riding and other rodeo events are not team sports but many of the ones that participate in these sports are good athletes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 06:59 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
Never assume. I don't really enjoy sports but can watch if my friends are all there. They know I don't enjoy it but I make sacrifices for friends. I was never good at sports as a child, maybe that's what turned me off to them. People seem to like things they are good at.....

Old 12-11-2015, 07:09 PM

781 posts, read 743,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Thank goodness my husband cares nothing for sports. I would never have dated him if he were. It's incredibly boring to watch sports or to listen to people talking about sports.

No, he's not competitive by nature. He doesn't join in on conversations about sports. He has no close friends that are sport nuts - yes, lots of them exist.
The first sentence is definitely my husband too. He will go to the occasional MLB game with me, but he has zero interest in sports. I could never be with a guy that was sports crazed and football crazed guys were EXTRA hard for me to be in a relationship with. I think my hubs dislikes football even more than me, he's a keeper.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:41 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Thank goodness my husband cares nothing for sports. I would never have dated him if he were. It's incredibly boring to watch sports or to listen to people talking about sports.

No, he's not competitive by nature. He doesn't join in on conversations about sports. He has no close friends that are sport nuts - yes, lots of them exist.
Before we started dating, I overheard my SO say he was probably the only man alive not into sports. That got him a big check in the "plus" column

I get a kick out of friends who comment "jealous!" when I post a pic of the woods or something on a gorgeous day. Ummmm your choice to sit indoors and yell at the tv! I have absolutely no interest in team sports. I did play a couple in high school but they weren't my life.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:55 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYinCA2014 View Post
The first sentence is definitely my husband too. He will go to the occasional MLB game with me, but he has zero interest in sports. I could never be with a guy that was sports crazed and football crazed guys were EXTRA hard for me to be in a relationship with. I think my hubs dislikes football even more than me, he's a keeper.
What does he dislike about football? To be fair football is probably my least favorite of the major sports to watch. Favorite is baseball.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:11 PM

135 posts, read 169,883 times
In my opinion, sports was created for the main purpose of distracting citizens of a society from their pilfering at the hands of their owners, aka government.

Here you are, devoting a major part of your life and attention to something that ultimately has no bearing on your quality of life. It's the perfect recipe to keep the sheep occupied today as it was back in ancient rome, all while your rights are being taken away while you were distracted with this form of "entertainment."

Then you realize this could be the purpose of all entertainment in general--to keep you distracted while the IMPORTANT **** in life is decided for you by someone else.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:12 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,988 times
The only sport I am remotely interested in is golf.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:28 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I hate sports. When you have a father that watches anything and everything all day long everyday sports sports sports, you really begin to hate them. ugh, the whistles, the sounds, ugh !!!!

weightlifting, I love, bike riding, hiking.........anything alone

But any game where there has to be a "winner" or a "winning team" or anything like that, you can have. Not interested.

so now I'm the father, none of my sons were die hard sports boys. (thank god) never watched games, only played ball in the neighborhood............thats about it.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:53 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,532,419 times
I'm surprised that you thought all men were into sports. I like certain sports like football and basketball but I'm not into all sports and I'm not a fanatic by any means. I just like watching competition and I do have my favorite teams. There are actually quite a few guys I've known that aren't into sports, though I couldn't guess at a percentage. Some are into computers and video games, cars, the arts, etc. There's a whole lot more to life than sports.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:03 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
I was exposed to sports in High school and college in LA and had the fortune to follow some pretty incredible teams: USC in football, the Wooden UCLA era, and the names coming out of my high school years going all the way into the pros.: OJ Simpson, JK MacKay, KA Jabbar, et. al.

Some of the clutch games of USC and UCLA was almost supernatural (behind going into the last minutes, both teams would pull it out and almost every time the OTHER TEAM would choke. So after watching the level of achievement pro. sports just never had the same appeal.

Up here, hockey, I can take it or leave it. I'd rather walk the neighbors dog, which is a sport in itself and gets me off the couch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships