Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:30 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times

Advertisements

I was seeing a local chiropractor regularly, and he was using an intern in his office to do paperwork or whatever. I stopped at a local convenience store for gas, and my receipt didn't print out. I went inside for my receipt, and the intern was behind the counter. I didn't know he had a second job, so I didn't recognize him until he addressed me by name. We spoke briefly, and then I left. The next time I was at the chiropractor, I mentioned seeing him there and not recognizing him simply because I wasn't used to seeing him in a different environment. After that, I didn't see him at the chiropractor again. Shortly thereafter was when my Dad died, and with going out to California for the funeral arrangements etc, I didn't make any future appointments for the chiropractor. The next time I was at the convenience store, the intern told me that he had been let go. He had been told that I was very upset that he spoke to me outside of the chiropractor's office and had therefore stopped coming to the office, so they told him that he had cost them a good client. I told him I never would have gotten upset by somebody greeting me as he had. I was so startled that he'd been lied to about me. For one thing, if I hadn't seen him again, he would have gone on believing the lie about me. I am upset that I was used in a lie to fire somebody. I completely stopped going to that chiropractor because of it. I think losing my business for good is enough punishment for them, but I wonder if I should have walked into the office to confront them for lying about me? However, I've never been a big fan of confrontation. What would you have done in my shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 07:41 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Sounds like an over reaction to HIPPA laws by the chiro. The intern probably should not have indicated he knew you, but really there was no harm.

However, if you were the type to wail about your privacy being violated, the clinic could be liable for damages.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:57 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
This^^^^^^^

If it were me I'd call the office and would ask to speak to someone in HR or the office manager. I'd tell them that I hadn't come in to the office because my problem had been resolved but that I was most unhappy to find that I part of someone's firing for a trumped up charge. Then I'd withdraw my business without any ambiguity.

Good grief.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I was seeing a local chiropractor regularly, and he was using an intern in his office to do paperwork or whatever. I stopped at a local convenience store for gas, and my receipt didn't print out. I went inside for my receipt, and the intern was behind the counter. I didn't know he had a second job, so I didn't recognize him until he addressed me by name. We spoke briefly, and then I left. The next time I was at the chiropractor, I mentioned seeing him there and not recognizing him simply because I wasn't used to seeing him in a different environment. After that, I didn't see him at the chiropractor again. Shortly thereafter was when my Dad died, and with going out to California for the funeral arrangements etc, I didn't make any future appointments for the chiropractor. The next time I was at the convenience store, the intern told me that he had been let go. He had been told that I was very upset that he spoke to me outside of the chiropractor's office and had therefore stopped coming to the office, so they told him that he had cost them a good client. I told him I never would have gotten upset by somebody greeting me as he had. I was so startled that he'd been lied to about me. For one thing, if I hadn't seen him again, he would have gone on believing the lie about me. I am upset that I was used in a lie to fire somebody. I completely stopped going to that chiropractor because of it. I think losing my business for good is enough punishment for them, but I wonder if I should have walked into the office to confront them for lying about me? However, I've never been a big fan of confrontation. What would you have done in my shoes?
OK basically the intern confronted YOU. Apparently he thought you were the cause of him being fired and he let you know he "knew." I find this to be disturbing. I mean, this just doesn't seem like gracious behavior to me - unless it was in the context of an apology which it doesn't sound like from your description.

Awkward is right. I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't stir the hornet's nest. Sounds like there's more to this story than you're being told. At the least it sounds like the intern may be socially inept or even confrontational. You really have no way of knowing whether or not you're getting the whole story from him (frankly, that's unlikely) and I find it REALLY weird that he felt like he had to share this story with you.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:39 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
OK basically the intern confronted YOU.

Maybe or it may have come up naturally in response to a comment that she hadn't seen him in the Chiro office in a while. I think it was an overreaction to HIPPA because they let him go prior to her not coming back. The fact that he spoke to her outside the office in another form of employment might be enough to get a reprimand or firing if the office was risk averse. It is his side of the story though. I'd definitely call the office because I'm pretty sure he don't make that part up.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
OK basically the intern confronted YOU.

Maybe or it may have come up naturally in response to a comment that she hadn't seen him in the Chiro office in a while. I think it was an overreaction to HIPPA because they let him go prior to her not coming back. The fact that he spoke to her outside the office in another form of employment might be enough to get a reprimand or firing if the office was risk averse. It is his side of the story though. I'd definitely call the office because I'm pretty sure he don't make that part up.
Well, to each his own. Personally, I'd stay out of it. To me, it does sound like the intern is a bit strange. I think it's odd for someone to volunteer that information "Yeah, I was terminated because you got mad and they lost a good client." WHAT? Who says something like that, unless it's in the form of an apology, which the OP doesn't imply. Maybe we could get some clarification on that.

Now - if this WAS an apology from the former intern, then I might call the office. Or I might not. It might be enough for me just to clarify it with the intern and let the intern know that if he wanted to pursue unemployment or something like that, that I'd be willing to testify in his favor. But like I said, the OP is only hearing one side of the story, and frankly I think it's unnecessarily confrontational from the intern, unless it was delivered in an apologetic manner.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:51 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I think the intern was very polite to greet you at the convenience store. He was polite and he had two jobs. Sounds like a great member to society to me. Most young kids would be too lazy to work so much and would look away when they see you. He sounds ambitious and hard working.

I would send a letter to the chiropractician and complain.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:52 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
If you stop using their services without telling them WHY it is meaningless.
IMO, you should have let them know that your not making appointments had nothing to do with seeing the "intern" outside the office, and their using that as an excuse to fire him greatly offended you. THEN they would know exactly WHY they will never see you darken their doorway again!
So, YES, you should have told them immediately!

Old 12-16-2015, 09:42 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
I agree with Oh-Eve and Redraven.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
How did they even know you saw and talked to him there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships