Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 01:01 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
This is something that happens to me all the time and I was wondering how other people feel about it.

I know people have a short attention span and I'm not the best or most entertaining anecdotal speaker, so I generally keep my stories really short, like 60 seconds or under.

I still get cut off all the time. I'll be in the middle of telling it and somebody will just break into another topic, or start talking to somebody else. I'm so used to getting cut off, sometimes I will preface the story by saying it's a really short one.

This is something that happens ALL of the time. I don't think it's crazy rude or anything, but I would take the time to hear a person finish their little story. I think it's kind of nice and polite, even if it's unbearably boring or the delivery is bad (which how bad could it be for 60 seconds). Also, if I have to cut a person off, I'll go back and say "OK, sorry, finish your story."

Anybody else have this happen a lot?
I really loathe being interrupted at all, and if they were so rude as to interrupt just to change the subject while I was in the middle of telling a story, I'd certainly say something. I'd interrupt them and say "Excuse me, I wasn't finished."

Hasn't happened to me so far though, but that would really put me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 08:07 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
By stat, all Utube videos should be no longer than sixty seconds, for the reasons you mentioned. Except cute cat videos, of course.
I MAY not be you. I have a friend that "blurts" in the middle of other peoples subjects and it's the start of some kind of dementia! She knows she has to get the comment out or she forgets.
We also, down south, used to call it the "jewish shoulder"; it's a way of shutting you down, and believe me it's deliberate.
At the critical moment you "turn" your shoulder and mentally it signals you're not longer listening, without having to tell the person to shut the f..k up. "Power people" do it to others all the time.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:13 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You have to learn how to say "let me finish!" You don't have to be rude about it, but I find that saying this works wonders.
Good advice, and esp about not being rude when making the statement. We have a gal in our group and if anyone interrupts her she will scream, "JUST A MINTUE!!!!!!!!!!" Geez, a little tact would help.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:41 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
//////// (waving arms)

One day my boob just like jumped out of my shirt. I swear it did. Like a puppy or something. It was so embarrassing, like OMG, it was like WILD and I was like, get back in there, and everyone was like staring at me OMG.

Look, a squirrel.
You and I would have an awesome tea party.
I walked around our local Fleet Farm store with most of my shirt unbuttoned one day. The top button was buttoned. The bottom button was buttoned. (That feels like a tongue twister.) But all the buttons in the middle were unbuttoned, somehow. I walked around, smiling at all the burly men who were shopping, thinking, "Boy, people sure are friendly today. Life is good. People are nice." Then I got out to my car and looked down to see all my "stuff" exposed to the world. Just call me the Welcome Wagon, I guess.

No one interrupted me, though! Maybe breasts really are the key! I had been joking, but maybe we're on to something.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:19 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
OP, are you telling stories about people that only you know?

I have someone in my life who does this...

"Remember that guy who was about 4-5 years older than you in school? Well, his cousin's friend's neighbor's kid...."

No, I don't remember that guy. And I don't care about any of them.

Talk about you or about situations or people we mutually know.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:08 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
This is something that happens to me all the time and I was wondering how other people feel about it.

I know people have a short attention span and I'm not the best or most entertaining anecdotal speaker, so I generally keep my stories really short, like 60 seconds or under.

I still get cut off all the time. I'll be in the middle of telling it and somebody will just break into another topic, or start talking to somebody else. I'm so used to getting cut off, sometimes I will preface the story by saying it's a really short one.

This is something that happens ALL of the time.

So, since you recognize you are the problem, how will you change?

Old 12-20-2015, 11:19 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,407 times
OP, this happens so much in my direct family, to me and my younger step daughter - we are both introverts with quiet voices. My husband and older stepdaughter are loud, dramatic and always talking (usually about themselves!!) It happens so much it's now a joke between us to which they are both oblivious. When either one of us is cut off (frequently) we'll just exchange amused looks and end up having our own conversation. lol. But yes, highly frustrating. Yesterday I tried to relate at least 2 anecdotes to my husband and none of them got further than 15 seconds before I was interrupted for something deemed more important. I may have to actually send him a note on FB but the timing was everything.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:33 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
...........This is something that happens ALL of the time. I don't think it's crazy rude or anything,.........
Actually, I disagree. I think it is crazy rude to begin a conversation while some one else in the small group is speaking. The fact that it happens often may be a function of who you are associating with.

We have a friend who is so full of herself that she will ask a question and while someone is in the middle of answering her question, she will address someone else! She just wants to be the center of attention.
Rude.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:37 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels
If someone interrupts me while I'm telling one of my hilaaaaaarious stories, I simply pull my left boob out until the attention is focused back on me. Now, this approach might not work for everyone.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
//////// (waving arms)

One day my boob just like jumped out of my shirt. I swear it did. Like a puppy or something. It was so embarrassing, like OMG, it was like WILD and I was like, get back in there, and everyone was like staring at me OMG.

Look, a squirrel.
NOBODY is going to interrupt you two!

Old 12-20-2015, 11:44 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:

This is something that happens ALL of the time. I don't think it's crazy rude or anything, but I would take the time to hear a person finish their little story. I think it's kind of nice and polite, even if it's unbearably boring or the delivery is bad (which how bad could it be for 60 seconds). Also, if I have to cut a person off, I'll go back and say "OK, sorry, finish your story."

Anybody else have this happen a lot?

I have two friends who are HORRIBLE about cutting in and talking right over people. One of them, I realize has a short attention span; the other one, don't know why she does it. I reached the point where, if I wanted to really share something with them, I'd email it to them so that they would READ it without interruption. It works but is certainly not a solution for a lot of others.

I do not know why some people chronically do this but it's very frustrating and rude.

Now, my job includes heavy customer service over the phone, and many times I end up talking at the same time with the other person because I thought that person was finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships