Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 06:58 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

This is something that happens to me all the time and I was wondering how other people feel about it.

I know people have a short attention span and I'm not the best or most entertaining anecdotal speaker, so I generally keep my stories really short, like 60 seconds or under.

I still get cut off all the time. I'll be in the middle of telling it and somebody will just break into another topic, or start talking to somebody else. I'm so used to getting cut off, sometimes I will preface the story by saying it's a really short one.

This is something that happens ALL of the time. I don't think it's crazy rude or anything, but I would take the time to hear a person finish their little story. I think it's kind of nice and polite, even if it's unbearably boring or the delivery is bad (which how bad could it be for 60 seconds). Also, if I have to cut a person off, I'll go back and say "OK, sorry, finish your story."

Anybody else have this happen a lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 07:27 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times
Either you are a super talkative person that don't let others speak, so they have to cut you off abruptly or you need to find people that find your stories interesting.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Either you are a super talkative person that don't let others speak, so they have to cut you off abruptly or you need to find people that find your stories interesting.
I said I keep my stories to 60 seconds or less.

I said I always let other people finish their stories, no matter how boring.

But I understand your attitude as well.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:36 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post

Could be, but I see it happen to others frequently, even those who are not dominating a conversation. I think it's terribly rude, but honestly, most perpetrators seem completely unaware that they're doing it. In a world where people would rather text than talk, I think it's just par for the course.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Could be, but I see it happen to others frequently, even those who are not dominating a conversation. I think it's terribly rude, but honestly, most perpetrators seem completely unaware that they're doing it. In a world where people would rather text than talk, I think it's just par for the course.
Right.

Somebody with charisma and who talks all the time, people are more likely to listen to the story and even be enraptured. Like the VP of my division.

Somebody who is more introverted and might not deliver the best, will get cut off all the time. Like some engineers I work with.

Like I said, I'm definitely more of the latter, so I try and keep my stories REALLY short. Even then, sometimes, when I'm in a certain crowd that has dominant talkers, I'll have a really good anecdote to the conversation, and I'll just say screw it and I won't tell it because I know I'll get cut off.

It's nice that you notice that it happens to other people though.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
This is something that happens to me all the time and I was wondering how other people feel about it.

I know people have a short attention span and I'm not the best or most entertaining anecdotal speaker, so I generally keep my stories really short, like 60 seconds or under.

I still get cut off all the time. I'll be in the middle of telling it and somebody will just break into another topic, or start talking to somebody else. I'm so used to getting cut off, sometimes I will preface the story by saying it's a really short one.

This is something that happens ALL of the time. I don't think it's crazy rude or anything, but I would take the time to hear a person finish their little story. I think it's kind of nice and polite, even if it's unbearably boring or the delivery is bad (which how bad could it be for 60 seconds). Also, if I have to cut a person off, I'll go back and say "OK, sorry, finish your story."

Anybody else have this happen a lot?
Who specifically is doing this to you and how often?

The reason I ask is because there are actually several different scenarios. One would be your close friends and family, and the other would be one or two coworkers, and the other would be EVERYONE ALL THE TIME. There's a difference between those scenarios and how you should probably handle them.

Friends and family - I'd point it out as soon as it happened, and say, "I wasn't finished yet - let me finish what I was saying," and then in private I'd ask that person WHY they do that to you all the time.

Coworkers - same thing but I'd probably not ask them in private to explain themselves. I'd just butt right back in and say, "Excuse me - I was talking. As I was saying..."

But if many people are truly doing this to you all the time, I'd say that there's something in your demeanor or way of speaking that's at the root of the issue. I mean, this happens to everyone on occasion, but it doesn't happen to most people "all of the time."

Some people are rude and overbearing and need their hand called on this - in other words, people need to be more assertive with them. But then some people are not assertive enough. And some people are perpetual victims in various situations because that's THEIR comfort zone (not saying that's you, just saying that those people do exist).

So please clarify exactly who is doing this and how often.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:50 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
You have to learn how to say "let me finish!" You don't have to be rude about it, but I find that saying this works wonders.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
I never begin a longish anecdote unless I think the person is interested in hearing it. That's rule number one. Nothing new. But over the past few marijuana (or whatever) enhanced years I can almost never completely tell a "good one" without either an uninvited schlock interrupting, or the person I am telling the story to just walking off. Very bizarre.

This is the main reason I simply keep to myself and "social" has gone way down my list of priorities. I really don't get it. Have people's attention spans become soo decreased down to 10 seconds or less? Sure looks like it.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Coworkers - same thing but I'd probably not ask them in private to explain themselves. I'd just butt right back in and say, "Excuse me - I was talking. As I was saying..."

But if many people are truly doing this to you all the time, I'd say that there's something in your demeanor or way of speaking that's at the root of the issue. I mean, this happens to everyone on occasion, but it doesn't happen to most people "all of the time."

Some people are rude and overbearing and need their hand called on this - in other words, people need to be more assertive with them. But then some people are not assertive enough. And some people are perpetual victims in various situations because that's THEIR comfort zone (not saying that's you, just saying that those people do exist).

So please clarify exactly who is doing this and how often.
Usually co-workers and looser friends.

You're right. It doesn't happen 'all the time'. It happens some of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You have to learn how to say "let me finish!" You don't have to be rude about it, but I find that saying this works wonders.
Nah, not that kind of person.

Instead, I'd rather create an anonymous thread on the internet and hope somebody reads it and gets the hint. Lol.

That's not actually a bad idea, I'm just not sure how it would go over in a crowd.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:10 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
It happens mostly when I am speaking with my mother. I may be saying something. but she'll cut off and talk about something else, or start doing something else, and talking aloud. However, on occasion she tries to come back with "Say that again" or "Go ahead", in which case I ignore her and don't speak to her at all. Sometimes it seems to annoy her, but I am glad if it does lol She did the same thing yesterday, where she then asks me a question about something I said, and I just walk away and act as though I didn't hear her, which she was annoyed with. But, good. lol

It happened with an acquaintance when she'd call me on the phone, and I could be talking when she goes off and is talking to someone else in the background. Then I am there holding the phone while she's talking to her family. So I solved that by telling her not to call me again. If she wanted to communicate, then a text was better suited for her. But I was nicer then. if someone on the phone did that to me today, I would be inclined to hang up on them, and possibly not answer the phone when they called back.

So, interruption usually tells me they are uninterested, and that's my cue to shut down and stop speaking to them. Because chances are, I was only speaking to them in the 1st place to be nice. Because I usually have music and am currently in La La Land when others wanna make small-talk. Like asking what music I am listening to. Does anyone really care? lol

Last edited by HappyRain; 12-19-2015 at 08:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships