Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 02:00 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Thanks everybody!
As I see it, I have a lot to offer; no one owes me anything! I may sound martyr-ish for putting it that way, but as Ms. Aragon just stated, seeking opportunities to give. Who knows? I might just run into someone I could mentor and help lead the way.
Thanks and that's true. But you might also meet people who you may be able to be friends with, on equal standing. Or you might meet a lot of dweebs and you may not want to hang out with any of them again.

You know, when I was single - and definitely wanting to find a partner - I sometimes realized with a start that there was simply no telling when and where I might meet my future mate. In fact, I might even already KNOW my future mate. That's a lot of pressure to live under all the time, if you let yourself go there. Better to just enjoy events, friendships, little happenings and interactions without burdening them with so much pressure to be at your best or "on point."

You know what - when I finally met my husband I was so tired of the rat race and the dating game that I was actually lackadaisical about meeting him. I remember getting ready for our first date and feeling ambivalent about it, because I was just TIRED of being "on alert" and "on point" and all that all the time. Come to find out, he was at that same stage in his life. In fact, we both almost called off the date (we didn't know that at the time, either - that came out later of course!).

All those days and nights that I'd put so much effort into - all those stupid dates and dumb nights out on the town - they all meant nothing. All they did in the long run was wear me out! But I guess I'm glad for all of it, the good and the bad, because at least I did know a good thing when it finally got right up in my face!

Just don't burden the moment with too many expectations - you'll come across as too hungry and desperate. You'll also burn yourself out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 02:36 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Who knows? I might just run into someone I could mentor and help lead the way.
Love your attitude and thinking! Have fun!

Old 12-19-2015, 08:29 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,416 times
I had a good time!

Met up at a pizza place and got to speaking with a couple of older people. Socializing was great and I felt a little out of place at first, but things warmed up after a time and we went next door to a pool hall. Shot a couple of games and had a lot of laughs. Looking forward to the next event!

Old 12-19-2015, 08:56 PM

912 posts, read 914,876 times
Quote:
I had a good time!

Met up at a pizza place and got to speaking with a couple of older people. Socializing was great and I felt a little out of place at first, but things warmed up after a time and we went next door to a pool hall. Shot a couple of games and had a lot of laughs. Looking forward to the next event!
That's great to hear. See, it wasn't so bad, now was it?

Old 12-19-2015, 09:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
I had a good time!

Awww, that sounds like a lot of fun. GOOD FOR YOU!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:58 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Glad to hear it went well, let us know how things go in the future, I'm in a mood for positivity, lately been feeling sort of off and need to hear some good stuff, and I am glad to hear you had a good time.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:11 PM

8 posts, read 4,254 times
I hope you enjoyed yourself.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:33 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,416 times
I did enjoy myself.

While we were eating, I sat with a couple of older people as mentioned (a 71- yo retired social worker and a woman in her 60s, I'll call them "Joe" and "Lynn") Anyway, Joe and I got into shop talk, as our careers are somewhat similar, while Lynn and I engaged in talk about classic movies (we're both avid watchers of TCM). We had a friendly debate about Sinatra, as we are both fans (Incidentally, I live just several blocks from Sinatra's childhood home). Later, we went upstairs to play pool (I lost two games. WAAAA!!!) I did not expect this, but I met a woman who is a teacher lives near me. We played a game together and I showed her how to hold the cue stick. End of the night, she gave me her phone number (I never even asked for it!) And I was invited to a couple more get-togethers. This was the first time in weeks that I was able to forget about my troubles...And did it feel great! I'm looking forward to the next.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:55 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
Quote:
I had a good time!

Way to go ItsRick ... just do it. No looking back just keep on keeping on. I am happy you had a good time.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:21 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Good for you...sounds like you are involving yourself in a well rounded group of potential new friends to do fun things with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships