Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 04:50 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
So today, someone that I'm close to came to me and handed me a Christmas card in an envelope. When I opened up the card, there was a $100 bill inside. And the thing is, I know that this person is not doing too well financially. So, I was very surprised that they chose to give me any money. When I opened up the card, I had no idea that there would be money inside.

It's a sweet gesture and I certainly could use the money right now, but I honestly feel that this person needs the money more than I do. Should I return the money? Should I go to person and say, "Thank you, but..."? Or should I just leave it as it is.

I don't know what to do. I feel bad.
NO, NO, NO DO NOT return the money!

YOu may insult them if you do.

They probably gave the gift possibly knowing you needed it too, and may have had a windfall you don't know about.

I have been as low as homeless and sleeping on the gracious friend's couches,and surviving on food from the food bank. Now, even when money is very tight, I donate back to the pantries who helped me. I also donate to some military assistance organizations,and to other worthy causes who may have helped me out or whom I deem to do good deeds with the funds I send in.

I have found that when I am generous to the universe, it somehow, someway, rewards me back! Often when I least expect it, or most need it!

So, let them be generous, and enjoy the holidays, and the spirit in which it may have been given!

Perhaps in the future, you can find a way to help them out when you are able, even if only the gift of your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 05:12 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
yes, do not return it. who knows what the reason for the gift is but someday you may be able to do something for them? It may not always be money related...maybe they feel you've helped them in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships