Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:41 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You think the US is a religious country? More of an anti-religious country, imo.

I agree with Murk (are you really a murk?) It's all what you make it.

Since my bd is near (sometimes on) T'giving I've always loved that and I love the Fall season. The celebration of the harvest is a great concept. Giving back a portion of what has been given to you is another concept that I love. AND it's always on Thursday so Friday is nearly always a day off.

Christmas, in its basic form is the celebration of a miracle and represents the fruition of God's plan for salvation, followed by the crucifixion and resurrection. All as prophesied thousands of years before. Jesus fullfilled every Bible prophecy - how can anyone not believe that Christ was who he said he was? If you don't believe then which do you say he was? Liar or lunatic? Because if he wasn't Lord, he had to have been one of those. A "good man", as so many describe him, would never make those claims.

So yep. There's a distinct difference but it's all what you make it.
Best if you never travel, mate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 12:23 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
For me, not the same, although I can see the OP's observations.

Thanksgiving - for us - includes some family and friends, but Christmas does not (it's just the two of us, and it's by choice as I refuse to travel and I don't encourage visitors).

Dinners are not the same. We prepare the traditional Thanksgiving dinner at home, but Christmas meals for the two of us are entirely different (steak or prime rib).

One is religious holiday / Winter Festival and, although we don't go to church, we still acknowledge the religious side part of it and do our own tradition of it. We also like the other features of Christmas. We manage to find a lot of joy in it.

The only issue I have with the two holidays is that I think they are too close together, which I think is what adds to the stress.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:03 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I have to honestly say that, until recently, I never knew how very many non-christian people celebrated Christmas. I don't get it... why? So the kiddies don't feel left out when their friends talk about gifts?.
I heard a comment from Nina Totenberg the other day on PBS about why her family celebrated Christmas, even though they were Jewish...she said that the music was beautiful, in some cases, and it was too good a holiday not to take part in it.

In its purest sense, Christmas is a time for giving of yourself, family values, beautiful scenic vistas, happiness, joy, etc. I remember when I was growing up, in public school music classes, we sang all different types of songs, including gospel, Hebrew songs, etc. I remember one of my classmates, who was Jewish, took great relish in singing a Christmas song called Fum, fum, fum...

Old 12-27-2015, 04:52 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Except for the gifts and decorations, is there really that much difference between the two holidays nowadays?

They are both family oriented. They involve a nice dinner (maybe turkey's not on the plate again though).

How do you see it?
It depends on if you are spiritual or not. Some Christians incorrectly think Christmas is the most important holiday in their religion.

Originally, Thanksgiving was a purely Christian holiday that gave thanks to god for the harvest. It has since evolved into a cultural tradition where people enjoy a large meal with their friends and family. The meal may or may not be preceded with a prayer of thanks to their chosen deity.

Christmas, on the other hand, is a bastardization of the Pagan festival of Yule. As the Pagans saw the sun as the source of all life, the celebrated it's return after the Winter Solstice. The early Christians replaced the sun with Jesus, as he was the source of eternal life in their faith. This made it much easier to convert the Pagans to their faith.

Today, both holidays are cultural to many people and spiritual to others. I don't follow the Christian faith, but I can assure you that spending Christmas with my family is just as important to those who look at it as a purely secular holiday rather than a cultural one.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
For me the holiday season starts at Thanksgiving and ends on New Years day.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:07 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Like someone else said, thanksgiving is more of the meal, not the day. And the buildup isn't quite the same. I'm not even that religious but christmas is still a nice time to get together with people I don't get to see all the time.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:18 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
......Originally, Thanksgiving was a purely Christian holiday that gave thanks to god for the harvest....... .
Harvest festival was never a purely Christian concept. Only the name, which was put onto an existing concept, came from the Christians.

The holidays aren't all your own property, you Christians. Get over that idea.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:30 PM

576 posts, read 994,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love Christmas music too! From the day after Christmas, my Pandora station of choice is James Taylor Holiday, closely followed by Folk Holiday and Celtic Holiday. And I have a huge playlist of favorites, from BB King to Pavarotti to Martina McBride.
I love Christmas music and keep it on constantly during all the chores, cooking, wrapping presents, errands in my car. After Thanksgiving, it's all Christmas music, all the time. Love it.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:13 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Harvest festival was never a purely Christian concept. Only the name, which was put onto an existing concept, came from the Christians.

The holidays aren't all your own property, you Christians. Get over that idea.

Well... I never thought it was. Not at all.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:09 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

I have a hard time leaving out the "Christ" in Christmas. Don't even get me started on the traditional "music." I find many of the lyrics offensive to me. I still consider it a religious holiday and I am as far away from religion than anyone I have ever known....
I'm an atheist and people like you annoy me. You give all of us a bad name and help perpetuate this "war on Christmas" nonsense.

Why would you be offended by hearing song lyrics that talk about Jesus? It should be no different than hearing most other songs that are about "fictional" people.

Who cares? I love a good Christmas song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships