Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 06:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Baby View Post
Next year, do a buffet. Or better yet, a potluck buffet. Set it up in the kitchen, let folks eat where they fit and are comfy. And any fast food contributions will not stand out quite so much.
Did you read the OP? It was a buffet and set up in the kitchen, that was the problem.

They should have just the used the dining room.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:55 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Both the OP & the stepdaughter were exhibiting passive/aggressive behaviors.

The OP because of the seating weirdness, which was in her control, as well as serving ham, knowing her stepD doesn't like ham, but then being offended that the StepD brought fast food for herself.

And the StepD was passive/aggressive in bringing fast food to the dinner and arriving late.

This controlling behavior by the OP is a recipe for ongoing resentment. Because you, OP, had a very specific idea of exactly how this should all go, but you didn't plan the seating to accommodate all adults eating at the same time.

Had you just allowed everyone to grab a plate and then go sit wherever they wanted (dining room, kitchen, or wherever) this could have been avoided.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:57 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,472 times
Your step-daughter is wrong and I would have said the same thing. Clearly no respect was shown towards her family...setting a precedence for what her husband can expect from here on out.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:58 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Wondering why it would upset you if your son's name did sound like a black person's name?

It's a name you chose and a name you like. Who the f cares what other people think? I can see being slightly offended by someone saying "sounds like a name for a idiot", "or sounds like a stripper name"; but I can't comprehend feeling slighted because someone indicated that it sounds like a name from another race? Do you feel that race is bad?
I don't see what's racist about this - and I'm normally the first to call this out.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:02 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,850 times
Quote:
Wondering why it would upset you if your son's name did sound like a black person's name?

It's a name you chose and a name you like. Who the f cares what other people think? I can see being slightly offended by someone saying "sounds like a name for a idiot", "or sounds like a stripper name"; but I can't comprehend feeling slighted because someone indicated that it sounds like a name from another race? Do you feel that race is bad?
No, I don't have a problem with that race or any. The point is that SHE does and she makes no apologies for it,and she said it meaning for it to be derogatory!

Jeez, if you can turn that into something bad on MY part, then I don't know what to say.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:04 PM

997 posts, read 1,061,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
This was the first Christmas dinner at OUR house. My inlaws recently downsized significantly (like I said, they're 78 & 80 yrs old.). She never brought her own food to my MILs. But apparently it was OK to bring to my house. I never noticed my MIL providing any other meat besides ham at Christmas.

You want to hear our menu, since you think this poor girl had to bring her own food to avoid starving? We had ham (obvi), sweet potato soufflé, regular mashed potatoes, green beans, baked beans, creamed corn, rolls & a pound cake. (I made all that). My MIL brought ham, a fruit salad, cookies & some candy. In addition, I had various crackers, cheese balls, hummus, chips, etc.

But I guess it wasn't enough!
Am I misunderstanding or are you saying that you had two hams knowing full well that your stepdaughter doesn't like it? Since your MIL was bringing a ham, why not make a turkey breast or roast chicken or even a small tray of lasagna?

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with her bringing something she likes to eat, even if it is taco bell. You stated earlier that this was not meant to be a formal dinner, your husband prefers casual. If a taco is what she wants for her Christmas dinner, so what? I just don't see how that is offensive to you.

25+ years ago, my mom always hosted holiday dinners. We'd put on a huge spread - turkey, ham, lamb, lasagna and tons of sides. My uncle was a vegan at the time and would bring his own food that seemed incredibly weird to us at the time - strange grains, tofu etc. (stuff that I like these days) We never were offended by that - except for when he forgot his tupperware of weird stuff in the fridge

Old 12-27-2015, 07:06 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
No, I don't have a problem with that race or any. The point is that SHE does and she makes no apologies for it,and she said it meaning for it to be derogatory!

Jeez, if you can turn that into something bad on MY part, then I don't know what to say.
Then, I have no idea why you let any offhanded comment offend you.....and to still harp on it years later. You need to let things go.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:11 PM

Good grief NO, there wasn't 2 hams! There was 1.

I give up.

And honestly, I've spent way more time explaining, clarifying & re-explaining this situation on C-D than I thought about it IRL.

There must be some really bored people in the world.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:13 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Before you knew they would be late, back when you thought you'd have to seat 10 people (or 9? 6 adults + 3 children?) at once, how did you envision the seating?

Good question.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Then, I have no idea why you let any offhanded comment offend you.....and to still harp on it years later. You need to let things go.
Years later?? Who said it was years? My child is only 2.5 yrs old and the comment was made a couple of months ago.

Iveneverhad so many words put in my mouth in my whole life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships