Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 11:39 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't get so angry with her now. She has no manners and eventually someone will straighten her out, you had a chance to call her on her rude behavior but let it go. You may want to tell her next time she wants to go to Taco Bell she can eat it before coming over. Someone needs to talk to her. If she does this often she won't be getting invited to many dinners....

Old 12-28-2015, 11:42 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
This sums it up for me:

Old 12-28-2015, 11:45 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,537 times
I didn't go into the relationship with a predisposition toward her. And considering what she's probably heard from her mother, it's remarkable that she even comes around. I'm sure her mom isn't pleased that she & her brother choose to spend any time at all here. It's not the fact that she is my step-daughter.....if ANY one I knew made the kind of rude & hurtful comments she's made, I wouldn't be fond of them either. But I could choose not to have them in my home.

Going forward, she will be included in the menu planning and I'll ask her to contribute something to the meal that she likes. And I'll make damn sure there are MORE than enough seats available, and I won't expect to sit in anywhere specific.

At the same time, this is MY home and I don't have to put up with anyone acting disrespectfully to me or my children.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:47 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I didn't go into the relationship with a predisposition toward her. And considering what she's probably heard from her mother, it's remarkable that she even comes around. I'm sure her mom isn't pleased that she & her brother choose to spend any time at all here. It's not the fact that she is my step-daughter.....if ANY one I knew made the kind of rude & hurtful comments she's made, I wouldn't be fond of them either. But I could choose not to have them in my home.

Going forward, she will be included in the menu planning and I'll ask her to contribute something to the meal that she likes. And I'll make damn sure there are MORE than enough seats available, and I won't expect to sit in anywhere specific.

At the same time, this is MY home and I don't have to put up with anyone acting disrespectfully to me or my children.

I wonder if you are just getting back what you give out?

Old 12-28-2015, 11:51 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:

This sums it all up in one sentence: you don't consider her your child.

I'm sure your husband really appreciates that. (Not.)

Old 12-28-2015, 11:52 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Is it not also your husband's house?

Old 12-28-2015, 11:53 AM

920 posts, read 931,555 times
This is why while you are dating, you endure your prospect of a significant other adores your kids first and foremost.

Or no marriage

Old 12-28-2015, 11:56 AM

920 posts, read 931,555 times
Quote:
But how many people would choose not to have their daughters in their home? She is YOUR daughter now. You have to think of her as such, love her accordingly.

Quote:
Sounds like a great plan

Quote:
I wish I could say that sometimes. But I am married so it is our home. So he equally gets input upon who comes here

Old 12-28-2015, 12:00 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
I agree you don't need to put up with bad behavior!

At the same time, you do need to be clear to your stepdaughter the behaviors she needs to adhere to and be explicit, but nice. While yes, one would think at 22 she'd know better, apparently she doesn't, or does but doesn't care, and it needs to be spelled out for her so she'll know it. Lets assume it's bad parenting combined with some bitterness at her original family breaking apart. Pretend she was raised by wolves in a forest. Proceed from there.

You have to deal directly to get at the heart of any passive/aggressive behaviors, otherwise you're contributing by being passive/aggressive yourself. That is a no-win situation and won't result in an outcome you'll be happy about.

You absolutely get to create rules for your household, in concert with your husband. So create your rules & boundaries, and be open about them and communicate ahead of time so no one has to guess at your rules and preferences. That keeps you in control and leaves no room for someone clueless or insolent like your stepD to have to intuit what she should or should not do.

And reward good behavior, which reinforces more good behavior.

P.S. You don't have to love her, you don't even have to like her, but creating a civil and peaceful coexistence is certainly desirable and, I believe, achievable.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:00 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Is it not also your husband's house?
So, because she is his child, she should be able to insult her half brother, say mean things about my daughters, openly critique our home, decor, etc? What planet do you people live on?

I wouldn't act like that to someone I DON'T like, much less my step-parent & elder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships