Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 06:59 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,494,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Because after so many years, she probably no longer cares what her step mom thinks. Even though the OP thinks its only her house, its also the fathers house. The girl was there to visit with her father and grandparents for Christmas and so was probably only concerned about their feelings. They didn't care that she brought in Taco Bell, so that is all that mattered to step daughter.
I'm [not] sorry but if she doesn't care then she shouldn't attend large functions. She dissed her father's wife. I would never do this to my Step-mom. I respect that she is my father's wife and I would eat the food regardless. Actually this is funny because I always feed the family before a meal at my dad's because my step-mom is really bad at judging quantity. If we go there hungry it's a disaster. After a few years though, we wised up and started to bring multiple dishes to go with the food she already had.

My in-laws usually have over-cooked but edible food so I just eat and smile. You make adjustments but never would I bring in fast food!

Old 12-28-2015, 06:59 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,510,911 times
Oh my gosh, this thread is cracking me up!!!! Thanks for all the entertainment!

I am a stepmother. I've been sitting here honestly trying to think of what my reaction would be if my 22 year old stepson came in at Christmas dinner with a bag of Taco Bell, and then took my seat at the table and moved my plate over.

Well, first of all, I wouldn't have sat him at the kiddie table with a two year old, so if it came down to him or me sitting with my own toddler, it would be me. So my plate wouldn't have been there - it would have been on the table with the two year old's. In the same room, I might add. The same seating area with ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE CROWDED AROUND IN THERE. For the life of me, I don't get all that anyway. There's a perfectly good dining room table in the adjacent room. Why not set up several places for adults to sit rather than trying to cram everyone into one small space?

And doesn't anyone use card tables anymore? They cost about $40 - with chairs - at Target. Set that up in the dining room if you have to and move everyone in there if it's a requirement for everyone to eat all wadded up together. Personally I prefer some breathing space but whatevs.

Anyway, say that my stepson done los his mine and actually moves my plate, filled with food, out of his way and sits down. Hmmmm, what would Jesus do in this situation? I don't know, but I know what I'd do - I'd say, "Well, hey boy - I wasn't finished there but no worries - since another chair and place is about two feet away in the same room, I'll just sit right there with the two year old I was up trying to take care of ANYWAY." Then later I would corral my husband (after everyone left) and I'd say, "Is you crazy? Why you not takin up for me and tellin that boy of yours to move his ____ out of my chair?" And he'd say, "Is YOU crazy tryin to sit my grown a$$ son with a two year old? Besides that, we both thought you were finished eating." Or something like that. Anyway, the point is - it's just not a big deal.

On to Taco Bell. Now THAT, my friends, is something that would be pretty hilariously inappropriate and weirdly dysfunctional to me. Actually, I have some experience with this because my own mother always does something crazy with food at big family gatherings. I freely admit to overreacting the first few times - till it occurred to me that she ain't right in the head, and I am, so why am I letting a strange person make ME strange? So now I just let her do her weird stuff and I try to catch the eye of someone else at the table and wink - and believe me, it's not hard to do so since it's HER behavior that's blatantly weird, not mine.

Example - I know I'm digressing but I just have to give this example: My mother has decided that all food coloring is of the devil and that if we eat it, it's going to cause us to grow unicorn horns out of our foreheads and then keel over at an abnormally early age. Never mind that until this past year, she ate food coloring with impunity and she's nearly 80 so there's no way she could keel over at an abnormally early age - and I see no evidence of a unicorn horn on her forehead. Nope. No one can eat food coloring on her watch. Not even if they want to. This can be problematic when normal people want to eat colorful cookies or cake icing or any number of deliciously decadent things. So - she brought a store bought carrot cake to Thanksgiving dinner this year (I'm sure it was full of preservatives and other additives but apparently those are OK - just food coloring is her kick at the moment), and she took the plastic cover off and proceeded to COON FINGER the entire cake, scraping off the cute little orange carrots from the entire cake, right there in front of God and everyone. For some reason that just crawled all over me. I said, before thinking, "Good grief, Mom - it's fine for you to scrape the icing off your own piece of cake but why do you feel the need to do it to everyone else's cake?" My mother - never the shy violet, immediately came back with, "This is MY CAKE and I BOUGHT IT and I'll do whatever I want to do with it!" The look of consternation on my daughter's face is all that kept me from saying "Mom, you do know you're crazy, right?" Instead, I still did say too much, but not what I wanted to say - I just said, "I can't stand here and watch this," and I walked into the the next room. But I was prepared - because you probably guessed that she brought the SAME cake to Christmas dinner, and I immediately noticed that she had already scraped off all the orange carrots this time. I just didn't say anything. It's just not worth it. Everyone knows she done los her mine. I don't have to point it out. Besides that, she meant to be inflammatory - it's her style. So the best way to handle her is not to fight with her. She enjoys a fight. She enjoys the opportunity to get under other peoples' skin - honestly, she does. So it's best to just ignore the bait.

So - back to the Taco Bell. I wouldn't say a thing in protest. If I said anything, it would be along the lines of, "Better you than me!" or "Where are my cinnamon thingies?" Believe me, at a family gathering and a home cooked meal, anyone bringing in Taco Bell is the one looking strange. No point in belaboring the point.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:00 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,290,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Here's another fun fact that will blow some minds!

Remember I said my inlaws recently downsized? Well, the now infamous "too small" kitchen table at "my" house is my inlaws old kitchen table. The gave it to us this summer, and we handed down our "old" kitchen table to SD & fiancé for their new apartment. At my inlaws old house ( where every other holiday dinner has occurred until this year), the married couples (my inlaws & DH & me) always sat at the kitchen table, which has 4 seats. The kids, regardless of age, sat at the kitchen bar, and any other family or guests sat in the dining room. If no other guests were there, we all ate in the kitchen. We squeezed the toddler in at kitchen table between DH & me.

Even though I didn't consciously try to duplicate this scenario, maybe subconsciously I did it bc that's what DH's kids were used to.

And there was only 1 empty spot at the table when she & fiancé arrived. My plate was there but my glass was not. I was up getting a refill and also checking on my little boy. She came in, scooted my plate out of the way, plopped her Taco Bell bag down and then pulled up an extra chair for fiancé. That put me in the awkward position to go retrieve my half-eaten plate and relocate to the island. When I reached in to retrieve my plate, that's when I made the comment about "I can't believe you brought Taco Bell when your grandma & I prepared all this homemade food". My inlaws & husband laughed....they tease each other & deal with just about everything with humor. I was miffed, but they probably thought I was just playing bc that's the way they are. I didn't say a word about her taking my seat. I simply got my plate and moved to the island.

There were 2 empty spots at the island when they arrived. My kitchen island is 5 ft by 9 ft. We ALL could've fit around it if need be.
Please read this post again & maybe then some of you will understand why I made the ASSumptions I did. Yes, it was poor planning on my part & ive learned my lesson.

And once again, to reiterate, I didn't say ANYthing to anyone about the seat situation except on this thread. I kept my comments & thoughts to myself, and came here to vent. I see now that was a big mistake.

Oh and someone a few pages back said I had it in for my daughter-in-law. I dont have a DIL! That shows how well some read these comments.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:01 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,510,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
She is an engaged child. I have one. Taco Bell? Good luck to the fool marrying her.
Sounds like she'll be treating him to a few Dutch ovens if she's a Taco Bell fan. Lucky guy.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:03 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,740,494 times
So.....who all helped with dishes after the meal was over???

Old 12-28-2015, 07:04 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,827,832 times
Sounds really minor in my opinion. Will this be important five years from now? Don't worry about it then. I don't think she was trying to be rude. I think you give her too much credit. She is after all 22. She probably doesn't think further than what's two minutes ahead of her.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:05 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,494,953 times
Quote:
Please read this post again & maybe then some of you will understand why I made the ASSumptions I did. Yes, it was poor planning on my part & ive learned my lesson.

And once again, to reiterate, I didn't say ANYthing to anyone about the seat situation except on this thread. I kept my comments & thoughts to myself, and came here to vent. I see now that was a big mistake.

Oh and someone a few pages back said I had it in for my daughter-in-law. I dont have a DIL! That shows how well some read these comments.
I understood completely but just one thing...

You do have a DIL.. Step-DIL. Just saying. However, this Step-DIL seems to have much better manners.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:09 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,827,832 times
Quote:

Yeah, I'm pretty much convinced the vast majority of people who post here barely made it out of high school and probably live check to check working menial jobs.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:10 PM

135 posts, read 169,168 times
Worthless post but how did this get 44 pages long in one day? I feel emasculated.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:10 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,261,425 times
Quote:

I probably said that. I meant step-daughter, and you know it.

It's amazing you can address a minor mistake but cannot answer questions about the contradictory posts in this thread.

I don't understand, if this bothered you so much, why you didn't speak to your husband about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships