Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:25 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica.ross2431 View Post
My brother just broke up with his girlfriend and since they were renting out a place together, now he doesn't have a place to stay in.

He should have just stayed in the dorms.

Thanks for the advice
-J
Let me summarize this for you.

1. He broke up with her, but didn't have a plan on where to stay afterwards? That's his bad. If she's breaking up with him, she should go.

2. A freshman in college is quite capable of the bone-headed mistakes described in 1. so yes, he should go to the dorms.

I'd get HIM to call the school and see if there's a dorm available. Freshman drop out so there's probably one someplace. If not, he needs to get on the waiting list. Find out how long that is. From then on, he's your family. Take him in for a couple of months.

I took in my sister for a couple of years after she got divorced from her husband. We were just far enough apart growing up that, while we were close, we didn't do the same things at any given point. It was actually a lot of fun seeing her as an adult and I treasure those times.

The rest I'm going to dismiss as he's going to cramp your style, which would be fine if he was a friend, but he's family. Man up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 01:33 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
He's family, so you should take him in for at least the same amount of time as if he were on a visit. You can suck it up and not have sex for a couple weeks if you're worried about him walking in on you, or your boyfriend should have a place, or go rent a hotel room. What about renting a bigger place so you'd have room for your brother? Can you help him find somewhere else? Family is family, it's not like they're only there when it's convenient for you. More than likely, the boyfriend will be replaced but the brother will always be your brother so get your priorities figured out.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:00 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica.ross2431 View Post
My brother just broke up with his girlfriend and since they were renting out a place together, now he doesn't have a place to stay in. He called me up the other day and asked me if it would be possible for him to move in with me for a few weeks until he finds himself a small cheap apartment. I tried to stall a bit of time and told him I was really busy and that we'd talk soon, since we're both studying in NYC. He's my brother, and I love him, and I feel really bad that he and his girlfriend broke up, but this really isn't a convenient time for him to move in with me. At all. First of all, I'm studying 24/7 and when I'm not, I'd like to go out and spend some time with my boyfriend or my friends. I really don't mean to sound insensitive, it's just that I have no time for him at the moment.

I know he needs emotional support and comfort from me. We were really close during High School and had to deal with a lot of family stuff together, and we didn't really have anybody besides each other, but I don't think he realizes that things are different now, and that I'm not always going to have the time or the energy for him. He's a year younger than me and it's actually his first year at Uni so he doesn't really know anybody here. I was kind of happy when he told me he'd be coming to NYC to study, I mean, I have no other family here, so having somebody close to me isn't a bad thing, It's just the fact that my brother thinks I'm somewhat available for him at all times that bothers me.

He's generally really sensitive and he had a really hard time during High School, no friends, no girlfriend, nothing. And loads of bullying because he used to be overweight. I really don't want to upset him by telling him "No. You can't stay." It will hurt him, and then I'll feel really guilty. Our parents are all the way in California, there's no way he can live with them because he's studying here.

Another problem is my boyfriend. Obviously I'm going to have him over at my place, and it's going to be really awkward if my brother accidentally walks in on us in a compromising position. It's already happened before with my boyfriend from High School, my brother walked in on us having sex and it was so incredibly awkward I actually cringe when thinking about it. I don't want a repeat of that.
Bottom line is, I really love my brother, but the last thing I want is for him to move in with me, it just won't work, but I don't know how to tell him, and also, where is he going to go? Ugh this is all so conflicting. He should have just stayed in the dorms, that's true.

Thanks for the advice
-J

I haven't taken the time to read the responses.

So here is my thinking...

If you needed a place for a few weeks, would you want him to diss you?

Old 12-29-2015, 04:11 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,667 times
He should be crashing at his male buddies place, not his sister's. Just be upfront with him and tell him what you have going on, especially your BF coming over. It is part of maturing as an adult and being firm, yet polite, with your family.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:10 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Family should always help out family. People will come and go, but brothers/sisters should always be there.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:00 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
I noticed that the OP hasn't come back into this thread, which has me wondering if this is a fake story...

That said, If her brother is a stable, responsible, considerate person then allow him to stay but give a firm deadline.

If he is a deadbeat, think twice before letting him stay with you.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:57 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Your brother asked to stay with you for a few weeks; not a few years.

He's about to learn that old adage that you really learn who you can count on when the chips are down.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:47 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
He's your brother. Bend a little. He's not asking to move in. He needs a little help for a couple of weeks. Sheesh!

Old 12-30-2015, 02:00 AM

107 posts, read 89,439 times
Kinda crappy sis, doesn't sound like you were close to me. Help him out, you might need a hand up one day. Just stress it's not permanent.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:56 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
What? Of course I’d let him stay.

OP has really strange thoughts, considerations, and messed up priorities.

There are way too many inconsistencies for this to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships