Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:44 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,696 times

Advertisements

I've never cared much about "fitting in." When I was younger, I felt like I was a rebel. Now I'd characterize myself more as someone who simply never gave a damn about "societal norms" regarding a person of my nationality, age, gender, etc.

If that does (or doesn't) make me a rebel in someone's eyes is completely irrelevant to me. I'm going to keep on living my life my way and forming my own opinions about things, just as I always have.

Last edited by Gfab1; 01-05-2016 at 10:49 PM.. Reason: Paragraphs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I mean, I guess I do without even knowing it.

I work full-time (fitting in to my work environment)
I pay my bills - Being a slave to the man
I dont break any laws-- slave to the man
I consume mainstream products like Starbucks, Xfinity, iPhones, and J. Crew
I speak the language of the majority (English and Spanish)
I am not intentionally rude or combative w/ ppl in public

So in many ways, I do conform to "social norms"

Old 01-06-2016, 02:31 PM

867 posts, read 1,587,604 times
Yes

Old 01-06-2016, 02:39 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
People who self-classify as rebels are typically striking a pose. They're the ones who are likely the most conscious of all about social norms.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:46 AM

46 posts, read 34,902 times
Not many. I'm the ultimate loner. I don't have friends, am not in a relationship, and have no desire for "company." I'm only truly happy when I'm alone. A lot of people have problems with that. Whatever.

I also don't care about others' feelings, am very blunt and don't beat around the bush to get my point across, and I don't bother with small talk, social laughter, or other such nonsense.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:57 AM

734 posts, read 842,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor8712 View Post
Not many. I'm the ultimate loner. I don't have friends, am not in a relationship, and have no desire for "company." I'm only truly happy when I'm alone. A lot of people have problems with that. Whatever.

Why do people have a problem with that? Because you're not giving them attention they think they are entitled to?

Old 10-30-2017, 11:30 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor8712 View Post

I also don't care about others' feelings, am very blunt and don't beat around the bush to get my point across, and I don't bother with small talk, social laughter, or other such nonsense.
#twinning

You just described me.
"Social laughter" that forced giggle people make; how I loathe it.

And the attempt to make things like dentist's visits or going to the bank to make a change to an account into a social call; I had a banker ask my daughter and I when we went in to take my name off her teen checking now that she is 18, "so what are you ladies up to today?"
I said, "that is not relevant to our purpose here". This is my usual response to such nonsense.

So ridiculous. Do people actually want to regale him with their plan for the day, knowing he could not care less and is being forced to say that dumb crap by his boss?

Old 10-30-2017, 11:38 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Not really. I am single, no kids, not much family either. Although I do have a social life, I am mostly a loner overall and comfortable that way.

I am happy with my life. However, I do really dislike and resent the overwhelming message that you are nothing without family. The message is always, "American families", "working families", "for you and your family", etc. etc. etc. Sometimes it all makes me feel invisible or not important.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:20 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I cut all the tags off of our pillows AND Bath Towels last week....
WHAT??????????????????????? How can anyone POSSIBLY recognize the right side and the wrong side of something!!!! How are you still able to function??? Especially on laundry day????

Old 10-30-2017, 12:23 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
#twinning

You just described me.
"Social laughter" that forced giggle people make; how I loathe it.

And the attempt to make things like dentist's visits or going to the bank to make a change to an account into a social call; I had a banker ask my daughter and I when we went in to take my name off her teen checking now that she is 18, "so what are you ladies up to today?"
I said, "that is not relevant to our purpose here". This is my usual response to such nonsense.

So ridiculous. Do people actually want to regale him with their plan for the day, knowing he could not care less and is being forced to say that dumb crap by his boss?
No, they respond to him something like this: "Not too much - just errands - can you help me with blah-blah-blah?" And believe it or not, they do it with a smile!!!

Why must people be so darn RUDE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships