Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:45 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times

Advertisements

don't be delusional.

as much as id like to think I am different from everyone else, I really am not. little bit less social than most people, I stay away from the opposite sex, I don't watch anything that is considered popular, and I don't watch football. most people think im a weirdo for that alone, but whatever. don't really care.

other than that, I don't live in a shack with no electricity. I drive a car, have internet/facebook/Netflix/low grade smartphone. got a job, apartment, and I eat normal food.

the people that think they are rebels/different are just narcissists that think they are better than everyone else because they cherrypicked things about themselves that are different from everyone else. what a bunch of crap. aww yeah, you're so special & different & everybody should look up to you because you're the poster child of rebellion. you know society is going down the crapper when people choose the distance themselves from others by referencing an arbitrary dividing line of how they are different just so they could say they don't follow societal norms. the only reason they do it is because they cant stand most other people. hell, ive even been guilty of this from time to time. we get it, you hate normal society and think you're cool by going against the grain on a small insignificant detail. now move on!

its alright that you don't care what people think and go by the beat of your own drum, but don't think that you're automatically a special kind of rebel like sid vicious. stuff like that is just obnoxious. oh, you pop your collar and wear faded jeans? that's so great that you "rebel" by looking like literally every high school jock bro from 2005. they already have a day dedicated for outfits like that, its called "Halloween". so unless you're marty mcfly travelling in time in your delorean, or have your own punk band, you're not really any sort of rebel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 12:46 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Well, I do almost always wear pants.
If I saw you walking down the street, I'd cross to the other side.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:11 PM

208 posts, read 257,889 times
I don't really care if you THINK you are a "rebel". But a person who is a TRUE rebel in today's world is probably one who practices a religion and is willing to step out from the crowd of materialistic wordliness and uphold the values that the "majority" don't want to uphold. Get it?

As a woman "rebel" myself, I think a true "Rebel" also means anyone who doesn't follow the traditional path of marriage and kids and buying a Kindle and large flat screen TV.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:20 PM

My Kindle is the basic, no internet one. Am I still a conformist?

Old 12-30-2015, 01:38 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Last night I had bacon and eggs...

FOR DINNER!

Old 12-30-2015, 01:45 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Why does everyone need to poop on the OP’s parade. Let the dude have his rebelness. Makes him feel special.

Don’t listen to these naysayers OP. Pop that colla and keep on being different!
There's a quote that fits this thread: He who goes against the fashion is himself its slave.

IOW, if you're going against "the norms" just to go against the norms, all you are doing is making your decisions based on those norms.

My daughter got her septum pierced this past year. She didn't say anything, but I realized it when we were talking on a video call, as she was living in another hemisphere. ("Are you looking at something, Mom?" "Well, either you have a silver booger or you got your septum pierced.")

She's 24. It's her face. She has purple hair, too.

My 87-year-old mother was going in for high-risk surgery, so she had a video call with my daughter, too. After she got off the phone, my mom laughed and said, "I see she has something in her nose now and more things in her ears, too. You live long enough, you see all these different fads come and go."

Trying to be "different" is as old as humanity.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:56 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
When I was in college in the early 2000s every "bro" popped his collar and wore ripped jeans. Maybe it fell out of fashion since then idk.

Um. I own an Akita while everyone and their mother owns a French Bulldog. I also don't plan on letting my home owners insurance know cause I roll like a gangsta.
You think that is bad - try to own ten - yes TEN pet birds and see how weird people think you are :-)
And honestly if the home owners people saw what kind of damage a parrot can do they would try to surcharge!

Old 12-30-2015, 01:58 PM

I don't own a microwave.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:00 PM

510 posts, read 500,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
You think that is bad - try to own ten - yes TEN pet birds and see how weird people think you are :-)
And honestly if the home owners people saw what kind of damage a parrot can do they would try to surcharge!
Birds are loud and loud things annoy neighbors. All of this makes you one radical dude(tte?)!

Old 12-30-2015, 02:07 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
Birds are loud and loud things annoy neighbors. All of this makes you one radical dude(tte?)!
My neighbors on both sides are older and they said they never hear my birds! It must be because I have thick walls.

When my Dad had the two older parrots in his 1920s wood frame house, cops were called once because they believed he was abusing a child in his house since they heard screams. He inroduced the cops to the two yellow naped amazon parrots in his living room, and he couldn't stop laughing or trying to make them talk :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships