Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:25 PM

174 posts, read 326,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Not because they might help with money (they probably won't) but because if she could basically die at any time from this, it's awful that her family won't at least visit and try to be kind. You don't have to extend money, to extend love, and I know which one is more valuable. Maybe they won't listen, but at least you tried to get the message through.

This is one of those things, because the idea occurred to you, if she did die and you had said nothing, you might regret forever that you didn't even try. Now, at least you did what you could, and whatever they do is up to them.

I lost a friend to heroin last year, and I don't think I could have prevented that, but I really regret that I wasn't a better friend, wasn't there when he needed someone, basically that I did not TRY to make a difference and that happened. I also lost my Grandma, and I knew ahead of time that she was probably going to die soon, so I paid for my whole family to have a big place to stay in a peaceful fishing resort on the river there, basically a lodge where we could all spend time together with her before the end. That was one of the best things I have ever done and I'm grateful that she lived long enough for us to do that.

Often, the choices you make when someone's life is in the balance stay with you for a very long time, maybe forever. I think you did the right thing. I hope her family decides to, as well.

Exactly. I've contemplated saying something for all these years and if I didn't say something, I think I would have regretted it all my life. She's not going to be around very long and because she and my brother are too proud to say something, I thought I'd risk getting in deep **** with the whole family to hopefully start a spark under them. Her sister is a professor of religious studies at a prestigious university, her husband works for the DOJ....I know they have a conscience. I was hoping to move them to extend a gesture of love before its too late.

Regarding the money, I don't think they'll do anything either. I just wanted them to understand the extent of their need.

I am sorry to hear about your friend. The best of friendships are sometimes not enough to prevent such tragedies. Thank you for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Your story has a lot of contradictions, on one hand you say they don't support their daughter and in fact reject her, yet you have meet them at your family gatherings.

In what specific way do they ask for help from your brother and his wife? Did they borrow his lawn mower or borrow thousands of dollars? What did your brother and his wife ask for that they did not agree to provide?

I don't see how this is any of your business.
Her parents have asked them to help them move, drive them to places, fix things, have their grandchildren help them at their house when they needed it. My bro and sis in law have always enjoyed having family gatherings at their house and have invited her parents. They have never invited my brother and sis in law to any family gatherings at their home. Even though they don't include her in any of their plans, she always includes them in hers. She's always trying to make things work with them; they sometimes accept her invitations but never reciprocate. That is what I mean by how they help them..

Old 12-30-2015, 06:12 PM

833 posts, read 656,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
I appreciate all your responses. Very honest.
Here is another one. You did the right thing. You are a person with good heart. Best wishes

Old 12-30-2015, 06:26 PM

215 posts, read 185,327 times
angelfood

It's not a bad thing what you did
So don't worry about it,
sounds like a neutral inquiry and hopefully a neutral explanation or something positive at least will be given back / done

Old 12-30-2015, 06:43 PM

Thank you westcoaster and wannabeliber.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
I think you did the right thing. At least you tried.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:46 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
I think that the OP's heart was in the right place.

"No good deed goes unpunished." "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

That being said I'm reserving judgement either way.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:25 PM

282 posts, read 236,070 times
You definitely stirred the pot.

You're going to have one of two results. Either you won't get a reply. Or you're going to get a reply back that beats around the bush or tells you exactly what the issue is. And assuming the latter, don't act surprised or upset when the glaring problem is laid out in black and white.

It's clear the relationship was not okay with the parents and their daughter went with it anyway. This was decades ago too. So ripping open old wounds in the family are not going to help.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I don't know if what you did was good. If the family decides to be supportive, and to give some financial support, then I think you will be glad you wrote the letter. If this blows up in your face, then you will be sorry.

I do give you points for caring and trying to change the unsatisfactory status quo and I hope your letter pushes the family toward their daughter. To me it sounds as if they don't love the daughter as much as their other kids, and perhaps they are biased against her husbands ethnicity.

When doing something like writing a fateful letter, you should count the cost beforehand. How is this likely to affect relationships? and so forth. It sounds like to me you reached a tipping point and felt you had to act. I hope this works out well.

Please keep us posted, OK?

Old 01-01-2016, 05:23 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,807,548 times
I admire your guts. I know I wouldn't have had the cojones to do it, but I would have thought about it often.

I am looking forward to the outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships