Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:23 PM

24 posts, read 27,443 times

Advertisements

The kind of life that involves making lots of new friends, having a social circle full of people you go out with on some weekends, and partying with a large group of people during special events (new year's eve and halloween for example).

I sit home alone on New Years because I am visiting my family a few states over from where I go to college and I wonder this.

Seems like in college, everyone has time for social life, partying, making friends, and hooking up. After college, I hear about how all of this becomes near impossible as people get married, become focused on their careers, and have less time. No one "hooks up" anymore as it is all about LTRs and meeting women becomes almost impossible. Social circles become almost impossible to form if you aren't married with kids as most people are "too old" for any of the immature stuff you did in college.

What is your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 11:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notgonnagetmarried View Post
The kind of life that involves making lots of new friends, having a social circle full of people you go out with on some weekends, and partying with a large group of people during special events (new year's eve and halloween for example).

I sit home alone on New Years because I am visiting my family a few states over from where I go to college and I wonder this.

Seems like in college, everyone has time for social life, partying, making friends, and hooking up. After college, I hear about how all of this becomes near impossible as people get married, become focused on their careers, and have less time. No one "hooks up" anymore as it is all about LTRs and meeting women becomes almost impossible. Social circles become almost impossible to form if you aren't married with kids as most people are "too old" for any of the immature stuff you did in college.

What is your experience?
In college, if you live on campus, everything is pretty much paid for (for a time) so you aren't required to hustle as much.

Your time is more flexible, so you can devote more of it to fun stuff.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In college, if you live on campus, everything is pretty much paid for (for a time) so you aren't required to hustle as much.

Your time is more flexible, so you can devote more of it to fun stuff.
How hard would it be to devote time to fun stuff after college? Is any of that even doable?

Old 12-31-2015, 11:41 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
OP: Welcome to the real world of becoming an adult living in real life with real responsibilities. Recess is over, time to mature.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:06 AM

"Mature" doesn't have to mean sitting at home lonely on weekend nights because I no longer have any friends to go out and do things with does it?

Old 01-01-2016, 12:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
No, hopefully you've maintained some friendships through the years as well as making new friends at the various extracurricular activities you're involved in.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
"Mature" doesn't have to mean sitting at home lonely on weekend nights because I no longer have any friends to go out and do things with does it?
Obviously the choices you have made are very different than those of your friends hence the reason to maintain as much of the friendship you can as often as possible while finding new friends who have made choices that are close to those you have made.
One cannot hang on to childhood, grade school, high school or college forever, they must learn to adapt to each step of their future life.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:27 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
OP, you can have just about any kind of life you choose after college. your choice. you just have to set your priorities. what do you want after college? if you want a successful career in some field, and if you want to continually move up in that field, and if you want to gain and maintain the respect of your peers in that field, then you will have to give up a lot of the partying lifestyle as it will interfere with your ultimate goals.

on the other hand if you want to just get by, wondering where the party money will come from, and wondering why you dont get ahead in your chosen career field, then party hardy.

remember that life is a set of choices. make the right ones, and you will go as far in life as you wish. make the wrong ones though, and life passes you by and leaves you in the ditch.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
OP, you can have just about any kind of life you choose after college. your choice. you just have to set your priorities. what do you want after college? if you want a successful career in some field, and if you want to continually move up in that field, and if you want to gain and maintain the respect of your peers in that field, then you will have to give up a lot of the partying lifestyle as it will interfere with your ultimate goals.

on the other hand if you want to just get by, wondering where the party money will come from, and wondering why you dont get ahead in your chosen career field, then party hardy.

remember that life is a set of choices. make the right ones, and you will go as far in life as you wish. make the wrong ones though, and life passes you by and leaves you in the ditch.
Does it have to be that extreme though?

Can't you just save the partying to special occasions like new years and halloween for example and then use some of the time on weekends to work on your social life and make new friends?

Old 01-01-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Does it have to be that extreme though?

Can't you just save the partying to special occasions like new years and halloween for example and then use some of the time on weekends to work on your social life and make new friends?
One day soon I do hope you will understand what you have been told 3 times so far. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships