Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 08:30 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
It sounds like your parents' brainwashed you with their relentless jealousy of people who were even modestly successful.

I don't think you were humble bragging at all; but I do think you should get a little more therapy to help erase your parents' craziness.
I've been looking for a good fit therapist since moving here. Tried 3 and am really not finding someone I click with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Xil

118 posts, read 274,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

So I sound like Eeyore. "This place is HUGE" "tell me about it, its a pain to clean". "What a great view!" "Yeah, but the sun shines in all day and the house gets so hot". "what a great yard" "The kids never use it". "The ceilings are so high" "Its terrible to change a light bulb". It just spews out of my mouth!
This reminds me of a conversation I observed at work years ago:

Tonya: That's a nice sweater, Deb.
Deb: It's old.

What followed was a short lecture by Tonya explaining to Deb that putting a negative spin to a genuine compliment was an insult, that it could be viewed as a rejection. Just another way to look at it.

Last edited by Xil; 01-03-2016 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-03-2016, 10:26 AM

912 posts, read 915,440 times
I don't get how this is even a thread. Just say "Thank you. Can I get you a cup of tea?"

Old 01-03-2016, 11:06 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
"Anyways...any thoughts?"

OP, on occasion, I've found myself doing that too. Not so much now, but more so when I was younger. I think it came from being told, as a child, not to be braggart. A bit of a misfire on my part, since the compliment wasn't coming from me. I wasn't complimenting myself, lol. I just started saying thank you and quickly returned the compliment. Returning the compliment definitely worked well for me. Now, I find it easy to say thank you, I like it too.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:13 AM

2,322 posts, read 923,484 times
Quote:
On the other hand...prettygreeneyes? Who is actually bragging with their user name? LOL
Isn't that rich?

Old 01-03-2016, 02:38 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
6 Months ago we closed on a beautiful home. I was so happy, it was such an upgrade from where we had been living...ever before. Its kind of stunning. And then I found out how embarrassed I am to have people over. When people, any people, come over, they ooo and awe, gasp. It isn't just polite "your home is lovely". Its really over the top. A big part of it is we have large windows and a great view, so there is that. I get so embarrassed.

So I sound like Eeyore. "This place is HUGE" "tell me about it, its a pain to clean". "What a great view!" "Yeah, but the sun shines in all day and the house gets so hot". "what a great yard" "The kids never use it". "The ceilings are so high" "Its terrible to change a light bulb". It just spews out of my mouth!

And then I feel like I have to justify why we bought this house. "It was such a good deal and we couldn't find anything else that matched our needs...its just too big for us." (Which is true...it was a great deal, we were about to give up and build when we found it and it is too big for us, but we will grow into it).

I have avoided inviting friends over. I won't post pictures on FB for my friends back home to see, even though they have asked.

But this week my kids have a playdate, and I offered to host (it was my turn, really). I am friendly with the mom, she works with my kids. I have been to her house and its really cute, but small and older (I swear I would trade). But I feel nervous that inviting them over is going to come off as bragging.

I don't plan on giving anyone a grand tour, or anything. But how to I accept compliments on the house without sounding dumb? "Thanks, we like it" sounds good enough. I just get so uncomfortable!

Anyways...any thoughts?
how does your home embarrass you yet this post does not ?

Old 01-03-2016, 03:18 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
It sounds like your parents' brainwashed you with their relentless jealousy of people who were even modestly successful.

I don't think you were humble bragging at all; but I do think you should get a little more therapy to help erase your parents' craziness.
Quote:
I've been looking for a good fit therapist since moving here. Tried 3 and am really not finding someone I click with
You can't erase it, but I think you can shove it back and not let it effect you.

I have decided a few years ago it doesn't do any help "getting it out". The less I talk about my upbringing the better I am. I am not the same person I was when I was growing up. I am grown now with my own thinking. Just because you had a lousy childhood doesn't been you can't have a great adulthood.
When I made the conscience decision to stop talking about it I did much better. Just a thought...

Old 01-03-2016, 03:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
6 Months ago we closed on a beautiful home. I was so happy, it was such an upgrade from where we had been living...ever before. Its kind of stunning. And then I found out how embarrassed I am to have people over. When people, any people, come over, they ooo and awe, gasp. It isn't just polite "your home is lovely". Its really over the top. A big part of it is we have large windows and a great view, so there is that. I get so embarrassed.

And then I feel like I have to justify why we bought this house. "It was such a good deal and we couldn't find anything else that matched our needs...its just too big for us." (Which is true...it was a great deal, we were about to give up and build when we found it and it is too big for us, but we will grow into it).

I have avoided inviting friends over. I won't post pictures on FB for my friends back home to see, even though they have asked.

But this week my kids have a playdate, and I offered to host (it was my turn, really). I am friendly with the mom, she works with my kids. I have been to her house and its really cute, but small and older (I swear I would trade). But I feel nervous that inviting them over is going to come off as bragging.

I don't plan on giving anyone a grand tour, or anything. But how to I accept compliments on the house without sounding dumb? "Thanks, we like it" sounds good enough. I just get so uncomfortable!

Anyways...any thoughts?
I'm sure many more unfortunate people would love to have your problem.
#firstworldproblems.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:27 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
You can't erase it, but I think you can shove it back and not let it effect you.

I have decided a few years ago it doesn't do any help "getting it out". The less I talk about my upbringing the better I am. I am not the same person I was when I was growing up. I am grown now with my own thinking. Just because you had a lousy childhood doesn't been you can't have a great adulthood.
When I made the conscience decision to stop talking about it I did much better. Just a thought...
At this point I agree. I spent 5 years talking about my childhood. And I needed to for about 3 of those years. But my thoughts are reframed in a way I am happy with. I would like, however, a therapist to discuss my present with. Because of a severe abuse history, I still struggle with things...I'd like to find a therapist who will work with me on present day issues. But once they take my history, ALL they want to focus on is the past abuse. I tell them I don't want to, that isn't my goal, and they either tell me I have to or agree and ignore my personal goals and keep pushing the childhood stuff. I've gone to 3 looking for someone who was willing to work with me on my goals (which might occasionally include childhood stuff, but not all the time). So far I haven't found one who will. Its disheartening and I have sort of given up.

When I talk about childhood abuse, I feel terrible, I become forgetful, I get in a terrible mood and I lose touch with present day. But if I don't talk about it (unless something comes up I want to discuss), I am a normal functioning adult.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:37 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
You might do better with a MSW (Masters in Social Work) counselor if you haven't tried that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships