Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:58 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

my neighbor has about 5 cats, maybe more. they are outside cats and they **** and crap all over our buildings lawn, thus killing the grass in spots, and they crap in our garden as well.

not fair or right, i hate them, i wish they would all freeze to death this winter.

want a pet, keep it inside. Why should the front of our building get messed up because of neighbors pets?

it makes me irate.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:18 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Wow I'm saddened by all of the horror stories that those outside kitties have caused. Our old neighbors had a cat that thought he had two homes and one was ours. Every day after the kids left for school he would climb our tree and come to our bedroom window. I would let him in and he spent time with our cat Amber. Yes they were both fixed. He also kept our yard free of the field mice that would ruin half of my tomato crops every year. Our cat Amber was a yardie and once in awhile she would escape, but rarely. She was hurt once in a cat fight from a stray that ventured into her territory. It's very difficult to keep cats inside once they have that natural instinct to roam. Monsoon our new cat that's been with us a year now is strictly an inside cat. He has no desire to be outside and I'm glad of that. He's not much of a jumper and way too big to get under the fence, but I wouldn't mind if he did his business outside and buried it like our Amber did. That one smells up the whole house with his giant leavings. I do like knowing that he is safe inside the house though. It was a constant worry with Amber but she was usually under the deck staring at the raccoon. We had to put her to sleep one day before her 16th birthday. Would she have lived 19 years like our last indoor cat did? I don't know, but it was quality over quantity for her. She was happiest in her yard. Fat boy is happiest on the bed.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:30 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It isn't anti-cat to think cats should be watched outside or kept inside. Its actually very pro cat as so many cat go missing, get hit by cars, eat poisonous things, get attacked by other cats and wild animals and are sometimes abused by humans. To me its anti cat to get them and let them fend for themselves outside.
I do feral cat rescues. The subject is complicated and the nuance would be wasted on people who make stuff up to support their hateful agenda on forums. There is more to controlling cats than "taking them in". Feral cats are part of our reality. The stuff spewn here by anti-cat people is stupid and irrational. Not even worth debating.
But, in the end, and like every other problem we suffer in society, it is humans to blame.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:41 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I do feral cat rescues. The subject is complicated and the nuance would be wasted on people who make stuff up to support their hateful agenda on forums. There is more to controlling cats than "taking them in". Feral cats are part of our reality. The stuff spewn here by anti-cat people is stupid and irrational. Not even worth debating.
But, in the end, and like every other problem we suffer in society, it is humans to blame.
IMO........the views here are for cats..........and keeping then safe.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
IMO........the views here are for cats..........and keeping then safe.
I appreciate your sane and rational response.
Some cats we get are "imprinted", meaning it is torture and inhumane to bring them in. They cannot be "undone". We pay to spay and neuter them with our own money. Over time, the colonies break up. We have kept a few, and using their natural instincts, they claim territory, and that helps too, because eventually, where you had a colony, you don't any more. I am an animal person. I will defend all animals. The worth of a society can be determined by how it treats its most vulnerable. I believe by caring for all living things, our society becomes a better place, but that's for another thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:05 PM

318 posts, read 372,662 times
Quote:
It's out of the realm of the (very limited) logic anti-cat people can comprehend, but "Neighborhood Cats" can be a very positive thing for an area. I know researching that would be out of the question, but cats aren't going anywhere. As a human, you can embrace that fact of nature, or keep doing as most humans choose to do, hate and agonize over something you know nothing about thinking that hate and anger will make your tiny little sphere of reality a better place.
I really don't like being angry. wasting hundreds of dollars DOES make me angry. Spending a day installing very nice flooring in my foyer that was destroyed once outdoor cats marked the outside door and my cats all pissed on the other side ruining the floor is annoying. Not my cats fault either, they were rightfully upset. If the owners supplied cleaners, removed flooring and replaced and cleaned the area I wouldn't be angry with them. Now, I just got angry. Other people don't stay angry- and make their " tiny little sphere of reality a better place" by killing others cats so they are no longer a problem.

Our domestic cats are originally descended from desert animals and not native to Canada or the United States. They disrupt native bird populations. They torture their kills first. a fed house-pet will leave the carcasses behind, but will hunt and kill because it's in their nature to do so. Now, if you have a farm with grain storage a small colony on the property IS helpful for rodent control. In a typical city/suburb they **** off your neighbors, and not only people who "hate cats". I adore cats. If I add up all my cat costs I've easily spent tens of thousands on mine on the duration I've been an owner. Did you not read the responses from cat owners describing outdoor cats upsetting their indoor cats? Also the show psycho kitty, was not shocking to me to see how many urination issues were caused by pets being upset by a cat outside the windows. So everyone else should block the views on every window that would provide their animals with a view so a neighborhood cat can pee and poop everywhere? Nope.

Quote:
It's very difficult to keep cats inside once they have that natural instinct to roam.
Not terribly difficult, but admittedly annoying for a while. Lots of caterwauling until they give up. Out of converted cats, only had one as a kid that managed to continually break out. One was outdoors for 14 years and his owner warned us it might be easier to let him out. I throw a toy and he would go bonkers and it was enough to distract him until next time, one was about ten and had a wide range before my spouse got her. Not rocket science. *the one as a kid that did kept getting out, my non-verbal brother would see her howling at the door or window and open it. He simply didn't understand. Other then that no issues an intelligent adult can't handle, besides that temporary annoyance of the cat crying.

Last edited by SweetLittleWing; 01-04-2016 at 01:23 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 01:11 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,004 times
Quote:

The 'reality' of stray cats as disease vectors is hard science, rational and far from 'stupid':

What are the most common zoonotic diseases of cats?
zoonotic_diseases_in_cats

Ringworm

Toxoplasmosis

Salmonellosis

Campylobacter infection

Giardia infection

Cryptosporidium infection

Roundworms

Hookworms

Cat Scratch Disease

Rabies

Zoonotic Diseases in Cats | VCA Animal Hospitals

Stray/feral/outdoor cats -- even their feces -- are horrific, from a disease vector standpoint.

And some here think it is just fine to let them wander around pooping here, there, and everywhere.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:14 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
This neighbor tries to say my cat is invading his personal property.

How should I approach the situation?

The wall is between my backyard and his.
Well, it's obvious the neighbor is not a person who likes cats.

Or maybe he's got a twist in his pants

Problem is, trying to make your cat an indoor cat now may be VERY difficult...But you could try.

My younger sister had 2 cats (In NYC) and brought them out. They had been house cats for 4 years. When they first got introduced to the outside world, they cried in fear and slid along the wall back in the house. In time, they adjusted, one was killed by a car, the other lived till he was 15.....

But my neighbors have always liked cats or dogs....I don't care if a cat came over and crapped on my lawn...My dogs had fun chasing them if they could.....We didn't have many come around after a couple of times meeting up with my dogs...

Old 01-04-2016, 01:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
I only read one post that seemed bad...the one about using free cats to teach his dog to hunt. Everyone else has been very measured..even if they don't care for cats. Most people are advocating for humane treatment of pets. I am glad you do what you do for ferrel cats. If there was more responsible pet ownership, it wouldn't even be a problem you would have to donate your time and money for. So what is wrong with people wanting pet owners to be responsible? I just don't get where you are coming from.

I did dog rescue for a long time and all I wanted from people was for them to be good pet owners. Not perfect...just "good enough".

Old 01-04-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
So what is wrong with people wanting pet owners to be responsible? I just don't get where you are coming from.

I did dog rescue for a long time and all I wanted from people was for them to be good pet owners. Not perfect...just "good enough".
I understand that. My point is there is a lot more to the problem than most people understand.

Then, you have people posting stuff like this:

Quote:
Stray/feral/outdoor cats -- even their feces -- are horrific, from a disease vector standpoint.

And some here think it is just fine to let them wander around pooping here, there, and everywhere.
Which is just . . . dumb. Irrational hyperbole. But, you can tell that this individual is adamant in his misguided opinion.

I understand people not liking cats. But, again, it is a complicated issue that hatefulness will not fix. My only point is that being hateful and violent to something that has just as much right as you/me to be on this planet is not productive mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships