Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 06:55 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times

Advertisements

Dump your friend who is about to officially enter into couplehood (the most digusting thing on this Planet, IMHO of course). The lameness of their friendships aren't worth it. I'm totally anti-relationship, anti-coupling, anti-natalalist, so perhaps I am a bit biased... But she sounds like a loser as does her new life partner (barf)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 07:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
You've RSVP'd. Be a grown-up, and go to your friend's engagement announcement party. You don't have to stay forever. You might surprise yourself and have a good time -- here's a news flash: Most couples aren't joined at the hip and have been known to actually separate during a party so they can enjoy meeting other people.

Stay for a while, and if it's a dud, then leave. You leave politely: Not "oh, this party is so distressing, I miss my ex so much" moaning, but a bright, "Sorry I have to dash, but I have another party I promised to drop in on. Congratulations!" Which person sounds like more fun? But you might surprise yourself by actually having a good time -- as long as you haven't talked yourself out of it.
Perfect. I would just add turn off your phone. People are less likely to approach someone who is texting, that's the problem with younger people today. They can't be in the moment.

I wonder how many miss meeting making new friends, a possible romance, or even a job lead because they always have their face buried in their phone.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:16 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
quote:
I would just add turn off your phone. People are less likely to approach someone who is texting, that's the problem with younger people today. They can't be in the moment.

They could be on one of the gazillion hook up apps though where they are looking to screw someone else also on those apps within 10 feet of them! I think for younger people it's easier to do that than actually doing it manually. It's really only going to get more and more that way, no point fighting it.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:28 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,482,455 times
I can't blame you for not wanting to go to the party, simply because I'm not fond of "look at me" celebrations where people invite everyone and their brother with the intent of being congratulated.

And if you just had a recent break-up that was particularly devastating, I don't see where it's necessary to go to such a party thrown by an acquaintance. If you had known her for years and she was part of your regular social set, then yes, I'd say to go because it's about them, not you. Maybe if it was a close friend, you wouldn't even be thinking twice because you'd be so happy for them.

But you're not close. She's a classmate. If you're the sun, she's not exactly Mercury or Venus. It sounds like she's out around Saturn. So I'd have just RSVP'd "no" in the first place. You didn't, however, so now it's on you to either manufacture a stomach flu or suck it up and go. TBH, I'd go with the stomach flu, but that's just me.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I can't believe no one (until me) bothered to ask her when this party is. How much notice she gives makes all the difference. The party isn't tomorrow. Yes, she's selfish and she should go if she said she'd go; but if she changes her RSVP now, I don't really see any harm.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:58 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab12 View Post
Moderator cut: delete

I RSVPED after a good date that I thought would be super promising and I felt good and happy. I also was at her house and I was feeling good and happy lol
I suggest you not RSVP when you feel good and happy (drunk) anymore. If you don't go you will risk losing a drinking buddy and that is exactly what you are looking for after a heart-breaking lo5s of relationship.
Go, drink and be merry! Don't forget a housewarming gift like a bottle of your favorite wine (open it yourself and offer a glass to the guests of honor), or Jenga!!!!
Good luck, take a dare!!!!!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab12 View Post
Because if I am not in a relationship then I'm nothing. Obviously if you are in a relationship someone wants you and picks you and you are a good desirable person and if you aren't in a relationship then you aren't.
Is this how you came to terms with your disability? You put all your stock on "true love" not seeing (or overlooking) what you perceived flaws?

Old 01-04-2016, 08:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
I can't blame you for not wanting to go to the party, simply because I'm not fond of "look at me" celebrations where people invite everyone and their brother with the intent of being congratulated.

And if you just had a recent break-up that was particularly devastating, I don't see where it's necessary to go to such a party thrown by an acquaintance. If you had known her for years and she was part of your regular social set, then yes, I'd say to go because it's about them, not you. Maybe if it was a close friend, you wouldn't even be thinking twice because you'd be so happy for them.

But you're not close. She's a classmate. If you're the sun, she's not exactly Mercury or Venus. It sounds like she's out around Saturn. So I'd have just RSVP'd "no" in the first place. You didn't, however, so now it's on you to either manufacture a stomach flu or suck it up and go. TBH, I'd go with the stomach flu, but that's just me.
Good point. This is really just an acquaintance. Too many people throw the word "friend" around way too much. Yes, there are different degrees of friendship, but this is really just an acquaintance that the OP recently met.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
This is not a big deal. It's a party, not a command performance. If you don't want to go, call your friend and let her know.

Spend the night trying to figure out how to be happy with your own company. Once you don't feel the need for a man, they tend to show up.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
What a train wreck. I'm hopping off now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships